Do Not Sell My Personal Information

engine rattle

Alienburt

I get a low level rattling/rasping sound from the engine when I am accelerating - as soon as I take my foot off the accelerator it stops. Is this normal?

The two most common reasons for this are cheap, poor quality fuel or the need for an injector software update.

Which fuel are you using?

H

Every Edge I have test ridden has had this rattle. I agree that it's probably the type of fuel

Mine does this but only when cold / just started up.  

Just use normal diesel probably mostly from supermarkets. Always fill with the cheaper derv and not the more expensive alternatives. What would anybody recommend?

1. Super Diesel from the supermarkets, its marketed under several names.

2. BP

3. Texaco

4. Esso

Hi All

From my days of when working at a petrol station, I suppose another couple of points to bear in mind would be that most of the fuels come from the same refinery, serving the general area that you live in ( I think there are two or three of these). My local one is coryton.

Also how often the particular petrol station gets its tanks cleaned to reduce the amount of sediment that builds up in them over a period of time.

I know the second point is a lot more remote than the first one, but coud still play a small part in this.

My choice is, I just fill up when ever its needed and where ever I am, I have no preference. And I just choose the standard diesel.

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

My warning, oil change needed, came on the other day.  I stuck 1/2 litre oil in and now I get no engine rattle, which is nice.  14,000 miles in and 17 months old, so not quite at service interval yet.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club