Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2013 1.0l Ecoboost Fiesta purchase.

Dee_82

Hi guys, going to check out a festa for the misses in a while,  its a little old but with regular service history and only 23k on the clock, last owner was doing around 4k a year.  I know these cars are plagued with coolant related issues but in the spirit of doing everything possible to minimise the chances of issues, im looking for a quick check list of crap to look out for.

Im pretty sure the 1.0l festa had the additional electric coolant pump which is a start, so heres what im looking for

Check for micro cracks in coolant tank

check for coolant loss at water pump

corrosion on coolant pipes at connectors / clips and on metal section of pipe. (Replace with all rubber piece asap)

check for "rubbing" coolant hose against the IC pipe

Post purchase more regular checks on fluid levels and devise a means to monitor coolant levels. some kind of float sensor in filler cap perhaps or an Inline flow / temp sensor. (no drilling the tank!) basically add some means of detecting rapid fluid leaks to prevent excessive overheating.

Is there anything else thats worth checking, other than the usual body work, suspension, etc etc?

When you say "1 ltr" are you referring to the Ecoboost  engine. My last 3 cars have been 1 ltr ecoboosts and I have not had any trouble with  the engines at all.

• Like 1

The coolant issue affected the focus which had a hard plastic pipe, no major issues with fiestas and coolant

• Like 1

ok, thats good to hear, just out of interest, do any of you guys have a video of the engine at cold idle?

I know the inline 3 pot isnt balanced as well as a 4 but it rocks around quite a bit, noticeable in the car. theres also quite a loud tapping sound, that seems to be mentioned a lot but quite a few folk say its the fuel pump?

once it gets up in RPM  the rock seems to smooth out a lot, almost to the point you cant notice it at all. No DTCs, not had an DTCs for a long time (albeit it did have a bunch of ABS stuff which was flagged up about 17k ago) 

I don't have a video but they do sound rough and rattley

Check the 2 metal coolant pipes that run into the turbo are not rusty. It’s a turbo replacement to fix them if they’re bad. 

4 hours ago, ThaiFiesta said:

Check the 2 metal coolant pipes that run into the turbo are not rusty. It’s a turbo replacement to fix them if they’re bad. 

I dont think there are any. there is a metal section within a pipe that appears to go to the thermostat, the 8B081A is all rubber, the 8A577 appears to be rubber but its wrapped in heat shield, which I think goes down to the auxiliary electric pump.

image.png.08c67a3548278a01cde7da56ee7d4bd0.png

The only metal one I can see is 8K276 which has been replaced by 1804469, an all rubber job

image.png.00388d86f8502b199590707bc570e8cc.png

Ah, I see. not the hose but the actual barbs themselves.

Why the hell would you use unprotected steal on an area thats more than a little exposed and important!

okie dokie, is there a known workaround / fix? before they get that bad? those barbs look like they might just screw in

Afraid the short answer seems to be "no" The above topic should tell you all you need to know on this issue!

• Like 1

Ah, I see you've just been there already!😀

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dee_82 said:

those barbs look like they might just screw in

I wouldn’t have needed to say it was a turbo replacement if they just screwed in

If they rust, its not inconceivable that it would ruin the turbo cooling by dumping the contents of your coolant on the floor then cooking off the oil. So no, I wouldn't say it is obvious at all.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club