Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Learner driver insurance

2003FocusLX

Hi everyone. Just looking for a vague idea, I know I can get a quote but esure (my insurer) are closed, and I'm impatient. Just want to know roughly what to expect.

I'm a former company car driver, so I had trouble getting a decent quote for insurance because I have no driver history. Don't talk to me about getting a letter from the lease company, they were utterly useless and I'll get angry if I start moaning about them. Eventually got a quote for about £250, which is what I paid for the car!

I want to help a friend learn to drive. She's 37 or 38, had a provisional for years but has struggled learning and affording lessons. Anyone know roughly, vaguely what it might cost to add her to my insurance? I don't know anything about this, so I'd appreciate any advice on how to do this - add her as a named driver, or get her own policy? Temporary or annual? Any particular companies to use, or avoid?

Obviously claiming on the insurance is not something I ever intend to do. If I (or she) ever hits anyone or damages my car, I'll try to pay for it myself unless it's ludicrous, so I'm only asking as a legal requirement. I'm not bothered about any additional features.

Sorry to ask a question that's probably been asked a million times before, ignore this is if annoys you. Thanks everyone! :-)

They only place you will get an answer from is your insurance company, too many variables to consider, all depends on where you live,  past history value of the car and even the l veil of insurance you already have, typically cost more to add a learner to a third party insurance than a comprehensive one.

Just in case anyone else comes across this post, I checked and it would cost about £75 for the year.

The rep told me learners are cheap, but new drivers are expensive. So it's £75 now, but if/when she passes her test, it will be £400 if I want to add her.

Just information. It bugs me a little when people post a question and then don't post the answer when they find it.

• 3 weeks later...

It was £44 extra a month when I was put on as an additional driver 

This is was in the Admiral newsletter this month which might help: https://www.admiral.com/magazine/guides/car-insurance/the-cheapest-cars-for-learner-drivers?media=NL006&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter&utm_campaign=julnl&utm_content=clickers

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club