Do Not Sell My Personal Information

DIY Timing Belt 1.6TDCi - First bit of help needed.

Albert27

I started my timing belt change today on my 2008 90bhp 1.6TDCi. Plan to do it over the next two weeks in the evenings....

So I've got the aux belt off and am looking at the Crankshaft pulley bolt.  I need to remove that bolt so i can get the pulley off (i will try and post a picture).  I'll be using a socket and ratchet. How do i lock it so i can undo it?  Haynes says there is a 12mm hole but i can't see one!  Am i missing something obvious?

Also, maybe on the simple side but with the battery disconnected, can i still lock the car?

Thanks in advance.....

Are we sure that's crank and not cam, lol?

Mind you even with my limited knowledge, they are both supposed to lock, right?

• Like 1

That's definitely the crank. :wink:

The lock to undo the crank bolt is actually in the flywheel.  You need to get in under the car, between the DPF pipe and the oil sump.

Edit - You can lock individual doors with the battery off but not central locking.  The boot won't open at all as it uses electric for the solenoid switch.  Best thing to do is lock the car with the bonnet open then remove the battery and manually unlock the drivers door with the key blade as required.  There is a fuse for backup alarm sounder if that starts, but I won't say which one publicly.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, F0CUE said:

Very brave going diy hope it goes well.

Hope so too!  Feel slightly uneasy but I've given myself ample time so I can take it slowly and get everything right.

53 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

That's definitely the crank. :wink:

The lock to undo the crank bolt is actually in the flywheel.  You need to get in under the car, between the DPF pipe and the oil sump.

Edit - You can lock individual doors with the battery off but not central locking.  The boot won't open at all as it uses electric for the solenoid switch.  Best thing to do is lock the car with the bonnet open then remove the battery and manually unlock the drivers door with the key blade as required.  There is a fuse for backup alarm sounder if that starts, but I won't say which one publicly.

Ok thanks Tom, only thing is I have no dpf.  So I'm looking for a 12mm hole somewhere between the sump and the pulley and underneath?

It's the same place regardless of whether you have a DPF or cat, follow the exhaust pipe under the oil sump and you'll note the sump is thinner that end for the exhaust to pass it.  The 12mm hole is here, just above the exhaust pipe and in the gearbox next to the sump.  The lock goes into the flywheel, the opposite end of the engine from the pulley. :smile: 

i did have a photo of the hole i posted a few years ago. i cant find it now. im still looking

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, iantt said:

i did have a photo of the hole i posted a few years ago. i cant find it now. im still looking

You posted them for me a while back .Very helpful! 😄 thanks again!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

well done. albert should find the hole now!!!! lol

• Haha 1

I was looking in the wrong place then!  I will have a closer look tomorrow and see if i can find it.  Thanks guys :thumbsup:

for those of you that have mk3 focus , there isnt a hole apparently.  starter motor off and flywheel locking tool that jams in the flywheel teeth is required. 

Don't suppose anyone has a checklist for this job?  Loads of info from haynes to videos to here....it's just putting it all together in the right order without messing anything up!

1 belt off

2 new belt on. 😁

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, iantt said:

for those of you that have mk3 focus , there isnt a hole apparently.  starter motor off and flywheel locking tool that jams in the flywheel teeth is required. 

Why would they remove the hole?  Surely removing the starter adds 5 mins or so to the labour time so they have to pay you techs more for the job lol!  Looks like it's 12 years or 120k on my mk3 so there's no risk of me needing to change the belt on it lol.

1 minute ago, Albert27 said:

Don't suppose anyone has a checklist for this job?  Loads of info from haynes to videos to here....it's just putting it all together in the right order without messing anything up!

I just handwrote a scruffy list on an envelope before I did it so chucked it afterwards I'm afraid.  You shouldn't go wrong following a youtube video or forum guide though. 

• Like 1

umm again, with my limited knowledge, aren't you supposed to line up the lock holes BEFORE taking the old belt off?

1 hour ago, Phil21185 said:

umm again, with my limited knowledge, aren't you supposed to line up the lock holes BEFORE taking the old belt off?

yes, thats probably a good idea, but the OP has taken the aux belt off, it doesn't look like his taken off the crank pulley, the cover or the actual timing belt. 

to be honest, everything you need is on here, etis, or in haynes, not a difficult job, as long as you lock off the cam and crank before taking the belt off you really cant go wrong. just mind to lock off the flywheel when messing about with the crank bolt and take it out when your done. 🙄

9 hours ago, Phil21185 said:

The lock the OP needs first is just to hold the engine still to remove the very tight crank pulley bolt (as pictured), the engine will just turn over if you try to undo it otherwise. 

The one to lock for the timing is behind that front pulley.  Feel free to have a quick look through the guide I made for this job about 6 months ago. :whistling:

Lol I remember it! Thanks I want to learn more about being under the bonnet, rather than just wires and flashy lighty uppy things I have knowledge of already!

Already did my own brakes a couple of months ago which I was pleased with, but learning is always good!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Phil21185 said:

Lol I remember it! Thanks I want to learn more about being under the bonnet, rather than just wires and flashy lighty uppy things I have knowledge of already!

Already did my own brakes a couple of months ago which I was pleased with, but learning is always good!

I'm in the same boat Phil, have just learned as I've gone along with brakes, servicing etc thanks to this forum.  Had plenty of disasters too, hoping this won't be one of them!

• Like 1

Disasters are the best way of learning...you only make major disasters once!! :biggrin:

We're all still learning though, I'm always interested in new/different cars and engines, and how the technology moves on etc.  Makes me wonder how people ever fixed anything before the internet... :laugh:

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

Makes me wonder how people ever fixed anything before the internet... :laugh::biggrin:

Friend of a friend of a friend who knows a guy usually...

• Like 1

Ok so I've found the hole!  However the 12mm bolt i bought I cannot get in the hole to lock but a 10mm drill bit i can get to lock.  I'm waiting on my Dad to see if he has a 12mm drill bit.  Quick question though.  Could i just use a 10mm or 11mm drill bit if I don't have the 12?  Does a bit of play matter?

I would guess that a 12mm diameter bolt does not account for the thread...?

8 minutes ago, Phil21185 said:

I would guess that a 12mm diameter bolt does not account for the thread...?

I'd say you guess right!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club