Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mountune MP140 for Mk 8

Eric Bloodaxe

For any purchasers of 125ps Mk8's who wish they'd gone for the 140, I see Mountune are now offering their MP 140 upgrade for £365.83 fitted at their Essex HQ.

• 1 month later...

That's awesome! I can't find it on their website nor google, where did you find it? I would like to chip my 125 as the 140 is not sold in the Netherlands, but want to keep the warranty so Mountune seems to be the only way.

I found it via Google - on their website (but takes some finding) and can't get a link to work!

www.mountunestore.com/products/mk8-fiesta-1-0-mp140-upgrade-fully-fitted-at-mountune -hq

If you go into the Mountune site and put "Mk 8 Fiesta" in the search box, it should come up. 

£439 and only available at Mountune HQ in Essex.

3 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Wondered about that myself, so have checked with Mountune who say local Mountune authorised Ford dealers could carry out this mod (dealer list on their website).

24 minutes ago, Mavroz said:

£439 and only available at Mountune HQ in Essex.

Sorry got the above quotes in the wrong order! Don't know if they have any outside UK, though.

Anyone know why no Mountune upgrade for the 100ps?

It would be interesting to have a comparison of the performance of the Mountune 140 upgrade compared to Fords 140 offering.

I'm not sure about the MK8 ST Line 140 but on the Mk7.5 the 100 and 125 bhp variants had very long gearing compared to the 140bhp car.

If they have kept that the same then the 140 mountune upgrade will not be anywhere near as quick as the Ford 140, unless they have significantly upped the Torque as well?

Yes It would be good to see some performance figures for comparison.

Mountune claim that torque is increased from 200 to 214Nm. As the Ford brochure states 170Nm for the 125 and 180Nm for the 140, I guess Mountune must be referring to the overboost figure.

Given the difficulty we had on the "Early Impressions" thread in finding road test figures for the old and new 140,  I doubt that we'll ever find a  proper performance comparison which would certainly be interesting. My own gut feeling is that the lower gearing on the 140 might have more effect than the extra 15ps, so the claimed 14Nm torque increase may go some way to offset this.

• Like 1

Slightly off the original topic - the Netherlands tuner RICA does an upgrade for the factory 140 which gives a 9ps increase but an extra 46Nm of torque, which would come in handy! They describe it as "dealer compliant" but I don't suppose that would wash with Ford UK😀

On 7/12/2018 at 8:15 PM, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Slightly off the original topic - the Netherlands tuner RICA does an upgrade for the factory 140 which gives a 9ps increase but an extra 46Nm of torque, which would come in handy! They describe it as "dealer compliant" but I don't suppose that would wash with Ford UK😀

Interesting Eric! As I live in the Netherlands that might be something for me, I will send them an email asking about how 'dealer compliant' they are. 

On 7/11/2018 at 11:23 PM, Blatto said:

It would be interesting to have a comparison of the performance of the Mountune 140 upgrade compared to Fords 140 offering.

I'm not sure about the MK8 ST Line 140 but on the Mk7.5 the 100 and 125 bhp variants had very long gearing compared to the 140bhp car.

If they have kept that the same then the 140 mountune upgrade will not be anywhere near as quick as the Ford 140, unless they have significantly upped the Torque as well?

From what I understand the new Fiesta doesn't have different gearing on the 140, and with the new 6 speed gearbox the gearing is quite a bit shorter than with the 5 speed gearbox in the first 2 gears. At least that's if I compare it rpm/speedwise in the first 2 gears. So if they do have the same gearbox, the performance might not be too different between the Mountune and the 140 stock. But yeah.. some figures would be great! It almost seems like Mountune has just developed this kit and wants some first installations at their headquarters to see how it will perform?

What I remember from my Red Edition (MK7) I had before my MK8, is that the MP135 had a better 0 - 60 time than the 140 from Ford. This was due to the short gearing, which in fact required you to shift at 50 mph. The torque limiter in the first two gears was pretty annoying as well sometimes, it would pull so much better in third gear and onward. And that's what I miss on my 125, it's really not that bad when accelerating from 0, but it doesn't pull as nicely as the 140 would on the highway when accelerating. 

So Rica, Bluefin or Mountune...  I wonder if I could just ask my dealer what they will do with warranty if something would happen with one of the three. 🙂

I remembered this earlier post regarding the Mk 8 140 having the lower gearing also:

On 4/11/2018 at 9:23 PM, thhedk said:

I found the gear ratios, and it's the Final drive ratio on the 140 hp model that ruins it 😞

2018 125 hp:
1st: 8.6 / 56  (@ 1000 rpm / @ redline)
2nd: 15.1 / 98
3rd: 23.1 / 150
4th: 31.3 / 195
5th: 38.9 / 195
6th: 46.5 / 195
Final drive ratio: 3.941

2018 140 hp:
1st: 7.8 / 51  (@ 1000 rpm / @ redline)
2nd: 13.6 / 89
3rd: 20.9 / 136
4th: 28.3 / 184
5th: 35.3 / 202
6th: 42.1 / 202
Final drive ratio: 4.353

So more power, lower gearing - dosn't makes sense 😞

Thanks! Then it probably will be bit faster yeah, at least on the acceleration. Though the shifting is quite a difference, when you hit 100 km/h you already had to shift on the 140. Let's see if someone here gets the MP140 and what their findings are. I'm going to mail the Benelux chapter and ask for some information as well regarding the warranty.

So I got an update today from both Mountune and Rica. Mountune Belgium (its dealer at least) says that I will loose the warranty, although this is kind of a grey area where it is depended on how the Ford dealer reacts to a chipped car. Some might find it no issue, but legally they probably are in their right to cancel the warranty on engine and transmission. 

Rica however, says that their software whilst installed with their 'softloader' will not be visible cause you can just put the original map back when you bring it in for service. According to them, it is not visible for the Ford dealer that something has been done with the map. This sounds like this would go for Bluefin as well then, making it invisble as long as you set the original map back to the car. Bluefin has slightly more power as well, although the Rica map might be a bit more friendly.

I would like to have a some more information on this though, if it is not traceable that you have mapped the car and changed the map back to its original you might just have a way of keeping your warranty with a chip. There are a lot of rumours that there is a counter which shows how often the map has been changed. The question is if this is true and if so, if this is something Ford can bring up to void the car's warranty. 

I have read that there is an ECU flash counter. That would show the ECU has been flashed but not with what and by who. I assume a Ford reflash would have notes somewhere in the service records, so a higher count would indicate but not prove an aftermarket map. 

From Bluefin website:

How will my new car warranty be affected?

We offer a supplementary warranty that runs in parallel with the manufacturer's warranty and will cut in if required. We include cover for a year or 30,000 miles or until the vehicle is three years old, whichever comes first, and this cover can be extended up until the vehicle is three years old for a modest price. The full terms and conditions of our policy are available to download from our website.

Thanks! Yeah I've heard so, but according to Rica that is not true. I wonder if someone could really provide a definite answer. Maybe I just ask my dealership, but on the other hand if they say no they might be a bit suspicious the next time it goes in for service. :-) 

I have the 5 year warranty plan, so the supplementary warranty from Bluefin won't totally work. But it's a nice one!