Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bizare Rattle !?

croc86

Hello people!

I've had my 2003 1.8 tdci focus for nearly a year now and apart from having to clean up the EGR valve to stop stuttering, I have had no further problems (still touching wood as we speak!).

However, since Monday my car has started to develop an interesting and irritating noise.

Nearly everytime the clutch peddle is pressed to the floor there is a rattle and grinding noise coming from the engine bay which is not really that noticabale standing outside of the car. This noise does not occur noticeable when idling in neutral nor when a gear is selected and the clutch is engaged. When the engine is warm it only seems to happen intermittently at junctions when the clutch is pressed down.

It sounds as if there is something loose in and around the clutch plate region....has anybody else has a similar story? DMF??

Hello people!

I've had my 2003 1.8 tdci focus for nearly a year now and apart from having to clean up the EGR valve to stop stuttering, I have had no further problems (still touching wood as we speak!).

However, since Monday my car has started to develop an interesting and irritating noise.

Nearly everytime the clutch peddle is pressed to the floor there is a rattle and grinding noise coming from the engine bay which is not really that noticabale standing outside of the car. This noise does not occur noticeable when idling in neutral nor when a gear is selected and the clutch is engaged. When the engine is warm it only seems to happen intermittently at junctions when the clutch is pressed down.

It sounds as if there is something loose in and around the clutch plate region....has anybody else has a similar story? DMF??

Thanks smile.gif

i had similar symptoms on my vw when the dmf started to fail so it could be that but ide have it properly diagnosed as dmfs arent cheap

i had similar symptoms on my vw when the dmf started to fail so it could be that but ide have it properly diagnosed as dmfs arent cheap

How much typically is a DMF to buy and install? :(

prices approx dmf - £300. clutch kit - £120 + fitting charges.

A mechanic mate thinks it would be a thrust bearing rather than the DMF. Anybody had to have a thrust bearing replaced?

A mechanic mate thinks it would be a thrust bearing rather than the DMF. Anybody had to have a thrust bearing replaced?

havent had it but done it if you get the thrust bearing replaced then youre as well having the clutch done while its all apart