Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Thermostat Fitting Problem/advice

wijcc

My thermostat stopped working, so I change it with one I purchased for a local motor factors store. I looks slightly different for the Ford one fitted on the car originally, but it fitted fine. I gave my car reg number to make sure it was the correct one and on the box it stated that it was for various ford models. It seems to work fine as I have heating back now on the car. But it seems to leak coolant when the car is switched off. It seems to not to leak/leak less coolant if I leave the fan/heater on in the on position when I leave the the car overnight.

I know that you have to line the thermostat, thereis a dot/mark on the thermostat which I put in the same position as the old thermostat’s position. However if I put it in the wrong position will this be causing the coolant to leak?.

I have checked where the coolant is leaking from and it is from the thermostat/thermostat housing.

I have brought a new gasket/seal for the thermostat which I will fit.

Can anyone advice me to the positioning of the thermostat mark.. how to know where the mark should go?

My car is ford focus 1.6 ghia 2001 mark 1.

Thanks in advance guys :)

My thermostat stopped working, so I change it with one I purchased for a local motor factors store. I looks slightly different for the Ford one fitted on the car originally, but it fitted fine. I gave my car reg number to make sure it was the correct one and on the box it stated that it was for various ford models. It seems to work fine as I have heating back now on the car. But it seems to leak coolant when the car is switched off. It seems to not to leak/leak less coolant if I leave the fan/heater on in the on position when I leave the the car overnight.

I know that you have to line the thermostat, thereis a dot/mark on the thermostat which I put in the same position as the old thermostat’s position. However if I put it in the wrong position will this be causing the coolant to leak?.

I have checked where the coolant is leaking from and it is from the thermostat/thermostat housing.

I have brought a new gasket/seal for the thermostat which I will fit.

Can anyone advice me to the positioning of the thermostat mark.. how to know where the mark should go?

My car is ford focus 1.6 ghia 2001 mark 1.

Thanks in advance guys smile.gif

you likely need a new seal for the housing itself the housing is known for leaking im sure it comes as a complete housing so unfortunately it will all need to come out again

you likely need a new seal for the housing itself the housing is known for leaking im sure it comes as a complete housing so unfortunately it will all need to come out again

Thanks, I'll give that a try.. any ideas why if I leave the fan/heater control it doesn't leak?

Thanks, I'll give that a try.. any ideas why if I leave the fan/heater control it doesn't leak?

if i remember right there is a small hole in the thermostat

which should go to the top of

houseing.Got my one wrong put it to the bottom and it leaked water hope this helps

if i remember right there is a small hole in the thermostat

which should go to the top of

houseing.Got my one wrong put it to the bottom and it leaked water hope this helps

Yeap, i put the mark/hope on the top left hand side.. as it was with the original theromstat which was fitted on.

I put it on as close as possible to how is it was originally fitted

Yeap, i put the mark/hope on the top left hand side.. as it was with the original theromstat which was fitted on.

I put it on as close as possible to how is it was originally fitted

its not a mark its a hole which they call the air bleed valve :)

its not a mark its a hole which they call the air bleed valve :)

cool, thanks for clearing up the name..

Its that hole on the rim of the thermostat like in the pic below.. but on my one the hole is the top left hand side as you look at it

ford_focus_04_thermostat_housing.jpg

cool, thanks for clearing up the name..

Its that hole on the rim of the thermostat like in the pic below.. but on my one the hole is the top left hand side as you look at it

ford_focus_04_thermostat_housing.jpg

where its mark with red line this should go to the top of houseing :)

heres a better picture

the text says arrow shows the position of the air bleed valve. and to the top of housing :)

heres a better picture

the text says arrow shows the position of the air bleed valve. and to the top of housing :)

cool thanks thats really helpful :)