Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Does this seem a bit steep for a rust/paint repair? Pics included.

yabby4749
聽Share

馃槉 seems a bit steep shop around there are some good back street聽 garages that could do that

I wasn't expecting more than half of that to be honest.

Went to a smaller garage and they said they would blend it in to half way up the horse shoe but it might not be 100% match, both sides 拢200 cash or a full job including respraying the surrounding panel/s and doors too for 500 cash.

I phoned up one more small place and they advised that being silver and blending it would cause a dark shadowed line or something?聽but wouldn't聽 going the whole hog still look slightly off colour to the original paint work anyway without painting the whole car?

Is it worth just doing the job and blending on a smaller scale? I've seen jobs where the car still looks two different shades even if they don't blend it.

Trouble with that is, it doesn't matter whether the damage is little chips or a huge graze, they need to do the same area and prep work.

The panels on silver cars often look different shades as it is, I can't see it blending without going to an edge myself.

With paint you really do get what you pay for.聽 My mum had a cash job done on her bumper and tbh it's very noticeable.聽 That said, I wouldn't be paying more than 拢200 for that, would rather live with it or swap the bumper for a better one.

Have you tried Chipsaway or any of the mobile paint guys, chipsaway normally get good reviews.

Thank you for your help guys, I am not sure what chips away are like but I'm more trying to decide which way to do this, I'm no expert so I'm not sure why the doors would have to be repainted too and not just the panel that the rust is on.

Looks like the common MK2/2.5 rear part of sill/wheelarch area, as others have said silver is hard to blend, I wouldn't want to pay much more than 200-250 for the repair, yes chipsaway may be a good shout.

• Like 1

For 拢200 the guy said he would blend it up to the end of the panel but he advised it might not be 100%. I will shop around a couple more today and see what happens. I haven't got the money for a job of spraying across multiple panels if its going to cost 拢500 just to get rid of the rust issue.

3 hours ago, yabby4749 said:

For 拢200 the guy said he would blend it up to the end of the panel but he advised it might not be 100%. I will shop around a couple more today and see what happens. I haven't got the money for a job of spraying across multiple panels if its going to cost 拢500 just to get rid of the rust issue.

Sorry, I saw the tyres and thought it was the front bumper...some sort of optical illusion going on there lol.

For the rear quarter the body shop is right, I see so many mk2s that have clearly had paint there as it doesn't match the door.聽 It depends whether you'd rather live with a slight colour difference or a few chips.聽 It won't be 'perfect' without spending a lot unfortunately.

if even the pro's say it wont be 100% match after spending a shed load of money i really wouldnt bother myself.

just apply some corrosion inhibitor and聽touch up paint and live with it , use the money for more important vehicle needs.

• Like 2

I'm not bothered about getting rid of the rust and painting with touch up, I bought some jenolite in a plastic jar so I think its the gel version for something under the bonnet. I would do it myself this way but I read a few bad stories about people doing it wrong.

I read that I should make sure all the inhibitor should be 110% off. Before painting and that I should add another ingredient to the mix to stop the inhibitor from not ****ing up.. Hmmm. Anyway if I do this I hope it would be enough to stop this rust getting worse. Luckily that because of where it is touch up paint shouldn't be very noticeable.

Biff55, they would do a perfect job but only if I spend probably 拢400-拢500. Maybe I should just go with the inhibitor and touch up paint.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club