Do Not Sell My Personal Information

wheel bearing and diffs?

middy99

so just had my focus serviced and mot.d and needs a new wheel bearing and diffs in bad shape not sure what diffs are till i speak to the garage in the morning they say its gonna be a couplle of hundred quid is this reasonable ? 

• Confused 1

The Diff or differential to give it the full name is the device that lets thecdriven wheels turn at different speeds, the inside wheels on a corner need to travel at a slower speed to the outside wheels this is what the diff does.

good explanation 

• Like 2

Do you get a noise from the gearbox when it is under load? A couple of hundred quid is too cheap to remove/strip/repair and replace the gearbox.

sorry guys i heard him wrong its wheel bearing and brake disks lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Discs and pads (front), maybe 150ish, but around 240 at Ford. Wheel bearing (front) is time consuming, 200-300 ish... around 300 at Ford (From recent experience).

6 hours ago, middy99 said:

local garage says £200 

If the discs are in bad shape, its a false economy to not change the pads for a few extra £.  If they are going to replace the discs AND a wheel bearing for £200... I'd snap their arm off... 

Is it a front or rear bearing?

To replace a wheel bearing is quite time consuming, if its the front, as its a press fit, not a whole hub unit.

For a disc \ pad combination, your looking at £70+ then the labour maybe 1 hour - I can do it on my drive in less than 2 hours.

The Front Hub bearing, although I think isn't that expensive, £40+ it must be at least 1-2 hours labour for that too, its quite time consuming. 

So, parts alone would be £100+ ... then the labour...?

I think youve got a good deal. 

On 6/12/2018 at 5:19 PM, middy99 said:

so just had my focus serviced and mot.d and needs a new wheel bearing and diffs in bad shape not sure what diffs are till i speak to the garage in the morning they say its gonna be a couplle of hundred quid is this reasonable ? 

I know your using your local garage but to give you an idea of Fords pricing against your local garage ..... https://www.ford.co.uk/owner/service-and-maintenance/motorcraft/repairs/brakes

Be aware that these are Motorcraft prices. These are not the original Ford (FoMoCo) brake parts. The Motorcraft brand consists of a selection of (approved by Ford) aftermarket parts that are offered as a cheaper alternative for the original parts.

Original Ford (FoMoCo) brake parts are produced by ATE and are much more expensive than the Motorcraft brake parts. 

• Like 1

was front  discs and pads and front nswheel bearing £240 inc  vat