Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Turbo coolant coolant?

Andypower

So I have the 2012 1.6scti ecoboost.  182 bhp version.

The turbo is only oil cooled from the factory no coolant cooling.   Has anybody done a ‘how to diy’ guide or anything I can reference to fit it.

guessing I need some sort of pump and lines and clamps.

any help would be great thanks

The 1.6 ECOboost always has a watercooled turbo as standard.

A coolant hose runs from the engine block to the coolant inlet of the turbocharger. The degas hose runs from the coolant outlet of the turbocharger to the coolant reservoir.

not on the pfl focus.  apparently it was later fityed to them but on the early models it came without.   the holes are there for the  lines to be fitted but its hasnt got them 

I have never seen a 1.6 ECOboost without a watercooled turbocharger. Even very early 2011 models that I have seen (and worked on) did have a watercooled turbo.

Official Ford documentation (both parts and technical manuals) also only mention the watercooled turbo. It is even listed in the technical specifications of the 1.6 ECOboost.

General information

This is an exhaust gas turbocharger with fixed turbine geometry and a turbocharger bypass valve.

The turbocharger is cooled with coolant from the engine coolant circuit.

At the turbocharger are
•the boost pressure control solenoid valve,
•the recirculated air valve and
•the recirculated air valve solenoid.

I am however very curious about a non watercooled turbo on the 1.6 ECOboost. Any pictures would be great.

10 minutes ago, JW1982 said:

I have never seen a 1.6 ECOboost without a watercooled turbocharger. Even very early 2011 models that I have seen (and worked on) did have a watercooled turbo.

Official Ford documentation (both parts and technical manuals) also only mention the watercooled turbo. It is even listed in the technical specifications of the 1.6 ECOboost.

I am however very curious about a non watercooled turbo on the 1.6 ECOboost. Any pictures would be great.

I would love to but my car is at Ford atm getting the recall work done to the cooling system.   

Ive only ask though because I changed the oil return pipe gasket last week.  So was looking at pictures on the internet of the turbo and surrounding areas for reference.  And noticed two holes that don’t connect to anything on the other side of the turbo.

these pictures of the turbo were while the turbo was off the car though.

anyway, I wanted to know what these holes were for and stumbled on your thread I think, about the 1.0 eco boost not having it fitted??

i think not knowing what to look for then reading it wasnt fitted to all 1.0 ecoboosts ive got the wrong end of it

All 1.0 ECOboost engines also have a watercooled turbocharger as standard. The only thing that was not fitted as standard on early 1.0 ECOboost engines was the additional electric coolant pump. This electric coolant pump circulates the coolant after the engine is switched off while it is still above a certain temperature.

The 1.6 ECOboost also has an additional electric coolant pump. Very early (2011) 150 HP versions did not have this additional electric coolant pump. Later 150 HP versions and all 182 HP versions did have it as standard. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club