Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk3 focus stereo upgrade microphone and Aux

Bobbydazzler

Hi,

I have recently bought a mk3 Zetec Focus and have a few issues with the stereo. There is no jack in the Aux connector location in the glove box, only a USB port. tried connecting my phone and it won't play through here only charge. I do want to upgrade the stereo for the phone connectability to the titanium version  but am worried about the phone microphone. has anyone done this and how did you get around the microphone issue? And is there a wiring diagram for the stereo so I can stick an Aux lead on it.

Thanks for your help, any time I try to search for a solution all I get is a million videos of how to find the Aux connector, Pfft.

Your car obviously has the Low Level audiosystem. The Low Level audio system can be recognised by the 6-number control panel. The Low Level audio system only has a USB connection which is directly connected and controlled by the ACM (Audio Control Module). 

The Low Level audio system does not have an AUX input. However some Low Level ACM modules do support an AUX input but there are also examples of Low Level ACM modules that do not support an AUX input. Because of this installing an AUX input on a Low Level audio system is a bit of a gamble.

The Bluetooth/Voicecontrol system and Sync 1.0/1.1 systems are based on the High Level audio system. The High Level audio system is completely different from the Low Level audio system. Converting the Low Level audio system to the High Level audio system basically means that the complete audio system including the dashboard wiring needs to be replaced.

JW1982, thanks for the pretty comprehensive response. So it seems the USB would be only usable for a USB stick with audio files or possibly an MP3 player?  Would replacing the audio wiring loom require the entire dash to come out? I can get the audio unit and the face plate from a Titanium model that has the phone connectivity but it sound like I would need the wiring loom also. Does anyone know what the wiring diagram is for the back of the upgraded unit (not the sony model), and if I could plug a different mic into it? This way I could wire it up and put the mic in by the door or something.

USB is a data connection. This connection can be used to play music from a USB stick (or a phone/mp3 player as long as it acts as a mass storage device).

If you want to retrofit the High Level audio system into a car that originally has the Low Level audio system you need the following parts:

* High Level ACM (audio unit).
* High Level FCDIM (display).
* High Level FDIM (control panel).
* Steering wheel radio remote with VOICE functionality or SYNC functionality (which one is needed depends on the production date/type of the car and the audio system).
* Bluetooth/Voicecontrol or APIM (SYNC 1.0/1.1) module (which one is needed depends on the production date/type of the car and the audio system).
* Dashboard wiring harness which contains the wiring that is needed for the High Level audio system (which one is needed depends on the production date/type of the car and the audio system).
* Roof wiring harness which contains the microphone wiring.
* Microphone (This needs to be an original microphone because of the different impedance Ford uses).

The Sony audio system is based on the High Level audio system. he Sony parts are fully interchangeable with the "normal" High Level parts.

As an alternative to changing the wiring harnesses it is also possible to add the missing wiring (taken out of a scrap car) to your own wiring harnesses

JW1982, thanks again mate, I have been looking at the Stereo and head unit from this one { https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Ford-Focus-Zetec-1-6-TDCI-2013-113BHP-Radio-CD-Player-Head-Unit-With-Controls/152961215520?hash=item239d32ec20:g:7tUAAOSwmqZaujw0 } but it seems I will have to ask him for the wiring harnesses and the microphone wiring from the roof. Brilliant help and thanks a lot. I have had fords most of my life but generally done my own maintenance and not been big on the ICE upgrades. Thanks a million and love the head lights!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club