Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MK4 with 2L Duratec HE

DJ_Andy_M

Before I go completely insane, I'm asking for a friend here.

He's just bought a MK4 with a 2L Duratec HE engine, and it's running rough and lumpy. The computer appears to have thrown up about the MAF/T-MAP being the issue.

It's not been serviced since 2016 he's discovered either.

Is the MAF/T-MAP on the air box like they have been on all the previous engines or is it in some really complicated place?

Is this a common issue with this engine?

He's had it 4 days, and is about to throw the towel in as he assumes its going to be a pricey fix.

He's just said this:

Symptoms are missfiring on low Revs pull away till it hits top (4.5k) then it halls, it has start issues intermittent, and it's drinking fuel like crazy

He also believes:

This is the older engine with the swirl flaps of death, and it's high mileage so the flaps are worn to hell. That will be the buzzing noise on the intake then.

I believe the swirl flap issue was resolved for the launch of the 1.8/2.0 Duratec MK4 Mondeo.  He could really do with being able to use Forscan to monitor a few things whilst he's driving to give him a more solid starting point.

I know there are 2 solenoids on that engine that control the actuation of the swirl flaps and if one fails (depending on which 1) it can cause the low rev misbehaviour.  As an easy test I'd suggest he swaps the 2 solenoids round (or the vacuum hoses if they'll reach) and see if the engine runs better at lower revs (I'm assuming that at least 1 of the solenoids is working properly).

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club