Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.0L EcoBoost - Interference Engine? (Belt Snapped!)

awmackay

Hey all,

Is the  1.0L ecoboost an interference engine?

2014 Fiesta, 60k miles - I had a coolant leak a few months ago, local garage thought it was the waterpump so replaced it.  It still leaked so I took it back and they replaced it again.  It still leaked so I took it back and they finally confirmed that it was a gasket behind the water pump on the timing belt cover.

They replaced the whole cover and while they had the car in bits I got them to do the auxiliary drive belt and the timing belt too.  Car has since been driven 700 miles and been fine.

Last night, the cambelt went on a drive up North.  Had just done 100 miles so stopped for a coffee, went back to the car and it would turn over but not start.  I thought it was the timing belt as the lobes weren't moving (when looking through the oil fill cap) and RAC confirmed.  Took me 10 mins to realise this so I turned the engine over a few times, didn't hear any nasty noises but is it likely that some of the valves will now be bent?

And finally, since the engine timing will now be all off, should I be worried about a local garage replacing the belt and setting up the timing again?

Cheers,

Alan

Yeah it's an interference engine, there will be damage if the belts snapped.  Probably cheaper to stick another engine in than repair.  The garage and the belt kit should both have warranty to cover something like this, depending on whether it was a defective part or incompetence that caused the issue.

Thanks for the speedy reply - car is out of Ford warranty now but well within the garage's 12 months parts/labour warranty.  They've yet to look at the car and confirm what is wrong with it, but if they replaced the cambelt then it is their issue to resolve (unless they can prove it was a defective part).  I've asked for photographs once the belt cover is off, so hopefully it'll be obvious what has gone wrong.

Cheers

even if its a defective part, that will be covered by the part  manufacturers warranty.

but my guessing is the crank bolt hasnt been tightened correctly. it is tighntened to a very high torque only able to be tightened using a torque multiplier and even then you have to have good muscles. 

Excellent - although it sounds like the car will be off the road for a while, it sounds like I have a good chance of being covered either way.

I did think the crank bolt was up a tough one, I read somewhere else it was 500Nm!

Don't suppose anyone knows if the belt tensioner is part of the standard belt kit?  I'd like to know if they should have replaced that when they did the belt.

I had my 2011 titanium 1.6 all done 3 weeks ago at a garage not ford as stupid prices and same parts used and cover.

They did Belt kit which is tensioner/belt etc which as you ask i think is the kit and also water pump and aux belt all in one go.

If its a good garage and i mean been there years and not a back street type you should be fine as it will be a discussion between make and fitting by the garage.

Mine was all Dayco parts as this is what most ford garages use.

or they could have forgot to fit a friction washer behind the crank bolt. from the factory there is no washer but when you refit crank pulley you have to fit one. the initial torque on crank bolt is only 60nm, but then its 90° turns 5 times. thats very tight. 

whatever the outcome , its the garages responsibility 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, iantt said:

or they could have forgot to fit a friction washer behind the crank bolt. from the factory there is no washer but when you refit crank pulley you have to fit one. the initial torque on crank bolt is only 60nm, but then its 90° turns 5 times. thats very tight. 

whatever the outcome , its the garages responsibility 

Yes so true and in the Garages hands.

Keep us upto date on the outcome as be good to know.

Good news - the car is all fixed and ready for collection!

The garage held up its hands and said it did not replace the crank pulley bolt which is apparently a stretch bolt.  They have already repaired the car, completed a compression test and road test and it looks like the car got away with no valve damage!  Perhaps this is because it failed on re-starting the engine so all the valves were closed?

Regardless, really pleased the car is all ready for collection now and they are refunding part of the original repair bill as a gesture of good will.  Phew...

• 1 year later...

I,ve just done one ,Engine swap so have all spare parts if any one needs them turbo head block pistons ect

Thanks for your very kind offer Eddie.

Have you checked the crank bolt as if it was not done up to stupid tight when the belt was done that could be your problem.

• 3 months later...

just rebuilding ecoboost 140 noticed the mention of a friction washer on the crank the manual states behind the pulley not the bolt ? 

42 minutes ago, motorsport said:

just rebuilding ecoboost 140 noticed the mention of a friction washer on the crank the manual states behind the pulley not the bolt ? 

Yes your correct. 

• 1 month later...
On 6/6/2020 at 1:59 AM, Eddie 27 said:

I,ve just done one ,Engine swap so have all spare parts if any one needs them turbo head block pistons ect

On 6/6/2020 at 1:59 AM, Eddie 27 said:

Hi, have you still got the old parts. I need the timing belt cover. Please let me know

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club