Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk7.5 bonnet stuck shut

SDALY

So I have just been to open the bonnet on my 2013 fiesta st 2 but the lever on the drivers footwell doesn’t seem to do anything. Tried gently pushing on the bonnet when it’s pulled to ‘relieve the pressure’ but it still won’t open. Local dealer are wanting almost £700 to fix the issue. Anyone have any tips or ideas on how to get it open. Can’t find any videos or the same issue specific to this model for advice anywhere else. Removed the grill but still can’t get to the latch to open it manually. Thanks in advance

Sounds like the cable has dislodged or snapped

Is there any resistance when you pull the lever?

Check behind the lever, you should see the cable going into it, disconnect it and pull the cable manually see if it pulls and go from there...

No there’s no resistance. I have pulled on the cable separately too but still nothing. Maybe either disconnected or an issue with the bonnet latch. But don’t know any ways around that

Is it Parkes that have quoted you £700? Try Bitz garage if you know it, they are pretty decent and used to working on performance motors. They used to run a WRX in the MSA under then name of ‘gravel grannies’ so are quite used to fixing odd problems

Haha yea, how did you know? I’m heading back down south next week though so will check with some other garages there too. Cheers though, I may have to see them. They aren’t all that far from me

The amount it's going to cost to get it done it may be worth trying to give it a go yourself first

From the top of my head I know it's pretty crowded in that bonnet but I think you may be able to get to the latch from underneath, wouldn't hurt to have a look and try

Other option would be to remove the front grill, drill through the plastic and use something to pull the catch I Would guess

Would try looking underneath first though I think

53 minutes ago, SDALY said:

Haha yea, how did you know? I’m heading back down south next week though so will check with some other garages there too. Cheers though, I may have to see them. They aren’t all that far from me

Because they are the only Ford dealership up that way lol, plus I live about 2mins away from Bitz 😉

Yea I’ve had the honeycomb grill off myself. Just trouble then getting through to the actual latch, appears to be another two plastic covers I can’t get through. 

Ahh right haha, yea if it’s not sorted by the time I come back I’ll definitely check them out 

£700 to fix a broken bonnet catch ?

lol , dont you just love ford dealerships. 

• 1 year later...

I'd like to know!

On 11/19/2019 at 8:35 PM, g1zm0 said:

Did the OP get this fixed

I'd like to know that to ?

I'd like to know!
I'd like to know that to ?
Let's hope so, surely he will have needed to put oil or screenwash in there in the last 18months lol

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

• 7 months later...

I'm having the same problem I pull the lever in the car and it doesn't pop the bonnet I can get it open if someone lifts the bonnet as I pull the lever, is there a way I can fix it myself as it's a bit of a pain getting 

• 3 weeks later...

mines the exact same i have a mk7 ive pulled on the actual wire and nothing happens, don't want to pull it too much incase I end up with the whole wire my end🤣 any help will be much appreciated 

21 hours ago, libbyox said:

mines the exact same i have a mk7 ive pulled on the actual wire and nothing happens, don't want to pull it too much incase I end up with the whole wire my end🤣 any help will be much appreciated 

The problem is that the spring latch mech' under the bonnet seizes up, mine had seized up and it took me some months to free it, all I did was use WD40 with a long extension tube and kept blasting anywhere through the gap in the bonnet and tugging at the bonnet pull, eventually I heard a 'clunk' and this was the latch going back into place, I kept pulling on the bonnet pull & spraying the latch and then the bonnet popped up, what a relief that was. I removed the whole rusty catch mech' and fitted a brand new one, the new one was sprayed in liquid grease, it's looks very messy but I know it'll never seize up again.

Are bonnet latches not greased at services?   Mine has been greased sometime in the past.

I put a tall can of break cleaner under the pull latch inside the car to keep it pulled towards me and push down on the bonnet and it pops up 

• 9 months later...

This problem brought me to tears but I found a solution.

Remove front bezel from grill,remove honeycomb grill (youtube) undo the bolt center beam to crash bar and bend forward. Mirror against radiator you can see through very small hole spring mechanism. One person push mechanism with flat screwdriver other pull bonnet release from inside car. My plates were rusted together 65 plate car. Used penetrator fluid.

• Like 1

Added photo and marked red dot where to push up onto lock mechanism, other person pulls cable at same time.

Thought it might make easier for someone to see first.

Good luck, took me 45 mins.

20210516_141337.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I tried everything then thought I would jack the front of the car up so I could get underneath and put it on axle stands so it is safe and secure. 

Look up the front under the engine and find the bonnet cable follow along to the left of the engine and give it a good pull to the left

Presto bonnet opened

Took less than 5 mins to sort after a number of hours trying

Good luck

• 1 year later...

I think that the bonnet release cable on my daughter's 2017 fiesta has stretched.  It has always taken a few pulls to get the bonnet to release, but now no amount of pulling will release it.  There is no resistance when I pull the lever inside the car. This appears to be a very common fault.  There must be a way to resolve this with dismantling the front end of the car.

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, ChrisH60 said:

There must be a way to resolve this with dismantling the front end of the car.

Did you read the suggestions and solutions posted above ?