Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Thousands of specks on windscreen and glass

mulkman

I have come to notice thousands of tiny specks on my windscreen which I cannot seem to remove (even with claybar, glass cleaner and acetone). I have also tried to clean interior and exterior of the glass without much luck.

It's like when they washed my car after service they used a dirty cloth which was contaminated with a substance. I've never really noticed it before but ever since I got my car serviced its been noticeable.

I can also see the tiny specs on the chrome trimming and although not noticeable on my white car paint which feels rough.

Sure it's not burnt from welding or cutting metal nearby while in the garage?  

Dont think so! 😑

If that was the case the car paint would have had black specs all over it.

I have also noticed it on the interior rear view mirror.

When the glass is wet you cannot notice it and is only noticeable when it completely drys - perplexed 

Have you got any pictures? seems very odd

Tree sap can be a ***** to get off. Can look a bit like specs of glue. 

Possibly that? I had a bunch land on my car recently after a windy day. 

I don't believe its tree sap as I have used acetone and a glass razor blade without any luck.

I have tried to take a picture of it but as its so faint no idea if it will get picked up by the camera

If you have used a blade or window scraper/blade and it doesn't come off something must have etched into the glass.

By some chance you aren't cleaning the outside of the glass and the specs are baked on inside are they?

I have pressed my thumb on the interior of the windscreen and can see the contamination is on the outside part of the glass

The strange thing is when the glass is wet it's unnoticeable and I clean the glass and it appears to be gone. I feel the windscreen does have thousands of micro etches that become noticeable when dust comes trapped within them.

I am totally lost on this one. I will try to take a photo

Certainly sounds like etching.

How crazy is it driving you? My mates dad just got a stone and hammer to his and put a claim in

10 hours ago, Ryan_Tango said:

How crazy is it driving you? My mates dad just got a stone and hammer to his and put a claim in

Haha now there is an option.

its not majorly distorting the windscreen but it is driving me mad.

I suppose smashing in the windscreen is an option but do I claim through car insurance or my car recovery service

38 minutes ago, mulkman said:

its not majorly distorting the windscreen but it is driving me mad.

I suppose smashing in the windscreen is an option but do I claim through car insurance or my car recovery service

Depends on which will be cheapest for you, I think it'll be £100 for a replacement with your insurance not sure about recovery services you'll have to check your documents, but make sure you use a small stone and normal sized hammer then hit it hard enough so it can't be repaired.

Could try using an aggressive clay bar. Problem is its hard to tell if it's something which has etched into the paint or is a mark. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club