Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford focus 2015 1.0 ecoboost oil recommendation?

superantew

Hi,  

I know that Castrol 5w20 is recommended by book,  but that 5w30 cam be used. 

Read somewhere think it was mountune that said use 5w30 when chipped. 

So I'm going for a Castrol 5w30 oil

Should I go this: https://www.oljemagasinet.se/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=570&path=144_113&av=Helsyntet|Typ,SAE 5W-30|Viskositet&manufacturer_id=13

Or this :

https://www.oljemagasinet.se/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=3655&path=144_113&av=Helsyntet|Typ,SAE 5W-30|Viskositet&manufacturer_id=13

I want to run the latest because I think it's an overall better grade oil

Any thought? 

I just want the best for my engine

I don't use start and stop 

And I don't care about fuel economy. 

Thanks! 

The 1.0 ECOboost requires an engine oil with a viscosity of 5W20 that meets or exceeds the Ford WSS-M2C948-B specification. 

Ford does not allow any other viscosity or any other oil specification. The main reason is because the 1.0 ECOboost has a wetbelt (timing belt lubricated by engine oil). A wetbelt requires an engine oil that does not affect the material of the wetbelt. Using incorrect engine oil can result in serious engine damage.

ugjdg4O.jpg

• Like 2

Yes I do know that 5w20 is recommended. 

But 5w30 I also compatible by the manual. 

And yes I do know the belt is in oil

My answers is still,  does the Castrol 5w30 titanium meet the requirements or is it above the requirements? 

The 5W30 oil types from your links do not meet the Ford WSS-M2C948-B specification. 

As far as I know the WSS-M2C948-B specification only allows a viscosity of 5W20.

Ford does not allow a 5W30 oil for the 1.0 ECOboost (based on the latest information in Etis). The 5W30 ACEA A5/B5 oil described in (some older versions of) the user manual is only allowed to top up the oil if no 5W20 oil that meets the Ford WSS-M2C948-B specification is available.

1731705219_Oil1.0ECOboost1.thumb.jpg.0298bf4fd0dd12c6c948235cfed87342.jpg

Why do you want to use a 5W30 oil? The 1.0 ECOboost is specifically developed for the high quality 5W20 oil that meets the Ford WSS-M2C948-B specification. Using a thicker 5W30 engine oil will only affect the fuel economy. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, JW1982 said:

Why do you want to use a 5W30 oil?

think it may be down to the price been cheaper for that grade lol 😀

• Like 1

I'm tuning the car and what a thicker specification.. 

Another reason why Ford specifically prescribes the 5W20 oil that meets the Ford WSS-M2C948-B specification is the oil pump. The 1.0 ECOboost has an PCM controlled variable displacement oil pump that is driven by an additional wetbelt. The output of the oil pump is based on the prescribed 5W20 oil. 

Using a thicker oil will (slightly) affect the output of the oil pump.

Of course you can use a different thickness/specification oil than Ford prescribes but it is completely at your own risk. If still applicable the (engine) waranty will be voided. When selecting a particular type of oil it is important that the oil is suitible for usage in wetbelt driven engines. 

• Like 1

Yes I also know that the pump is kinda dynamic.. 

What is the part number for the ford recommended 5w30 oil

Thanks for alltur replies..  I'm not stupid guys I just want a 5w30 oil instead

5w20 is good enough for fiesta st ecoboost and focus st ecoboost. What makes you think it's not good enough for the 1.0 ecoboost tuned up or not? 

Surely a slight variation in the viscosity will be the last thing you have to worry about damaging the engine or blowing it up if you're really tuning it up that much to require different oil in the first place?

I believe the 1.6 ecoboost uses 5w30, which is maybe where you're getting confused about mountune recommending it to a remapped car.

33 minutes ago, Luke4efc said:

Surely a slight variation in the viscosity will be the last thing you have to worry about damaging the engine or blowing it up if you're really tuning it up that much to require different oil in the first place?

I believe the 1.6 ecoboost uses 5w30, which is maybe where you're getting confused about mountune recommending it to a remapped car.

1.6 ecoboost is either. 5w20 or 5w30

6 hours ago, superantew said:

Yes I do know that 5w20 is recommended. 

But 5w30 I also compatible by the manual. 

5W-30 in my Owner's Guide is put as an alternative "If you are unable to find an oil that meets the specification defined by WSS-M2C948-B. It goes on to say "Note: Do not use more than 0.2 gal (1L) of the alternative engine oil between scheduled service intervals."

However, despite good advice from members (and unnecessary comments from yourself), you seem determined to use 5W-30.

ExtractPage 02.jpg

ExtractPage 01.jpg

Ok thanks guys! 

I'm going with a Motul 8100 eco 5w30 that meets acea a5/b5

The w20 I think Is mostly for that extra 1.1% better fuel economy! 

But that oil is just so thin..  U can actually here the hard mechanic noises in the engine. 

Thanks

the metallic tick on the 1l ecoboost is the fuel pump, or so ive been led to believe. other than that shes a quiet wee engine 

Seems a little crazy to ignore the guides of what to use on an engine as complicated as this, a turbo charged engine no less. But its your call. Ill be sticking to the recommended oil for my partners 1l ecoboost.  

I suppose it might be worth remembering that using a heavier grade oil then what is recommended on say... the 1.6 TDCI, could be catastrophic. There is usually a reason for these decisions ford make.

• Like 2

It is his own choice but Personally I would never use a type of engine oil that is not allowed by the manufacturer. Ford specifically prescribes that the 5W30 ACEA A5/B5 is only allowed as an alternative to top up the oil if no 5W20 oil that meets the Ford WSS-M2C948-B specification is available. 

The instruction manual contains the following disclaimer for a reason:

NOTE: Do not use more than 0.2 Gal (1L) of the alternative engine oil between scheduled service intervals.

The alternative engine oil is known to deteriorate the material of the wetbelts. When using the alternative type of engine oil. When using this alternative oil for a service fill you should at least also reduce the changing interval of the wetbelts drastically.  

The 1.0 ECOboost is specifically designed for the 5W20 oil that meets the Ford WSS-M2C948-B specification. Using a thicker engine oil will decrease the life expectancy of the engine rather than decrease it. 

• Like 1

Is it well known to degrade the belt? 

Well I don't think it's the pump that makes the most noice it's a classic thin oil sound..  I'm not saying it's damaging the engine but a thinner oil u can just here the mechanic in the valves and all.. 

I might consider using the 5w20 if it's determined that it actually degrades the belt..  Can't find a logic reason tough switching to 5w30..

I need to dig deeper In this maybe.. 

Ok thanks guys! 

I'm going with a Motul 8100 eco 5w30 that meets acea a5/b5

The w20 I think Is mostly for that extra 1.1% better fuel economy! 

But that oil is just so thin..  U can actually here the hard mechanic noises in the engine. 

Thanks

BTW dunno why it's quoting myself.. 

Not quite the same topic but a friend of mine looks after his grandsons KTM moto cros bike and put the wrong DOT  fluid in the brakes. The result being the seals swelled  and had to be replaced so be warned using the incorrect oil in the engine. After all some of the best synthetic oil is 0 w sae .

• 2 years later...

Hi, my other half has a 69 plate fiesta eco boost. It’s coming up to a year old 6000 miles and I would like to change the engine oil , what would be the oil spec and amount required please.

If you go on Euro car parts or Halfrauds websites it will tell you which oil you need then just shop around to get them cheaper such as a local motor factors as both of the aforementioned are generally more expensive than independents. Alternatively just ring your local independent motor factor and they have a search engine which will tell you which oil you need.

Your owners manual will tell you the capacity but most modern engines generally take between 3 and 4.5 litres so just buy a 5 litre bottle and you will have some left over if it needs topping up in the future.

The 1.0 ECOboost has an official oil capacity of 5,05 Liter (including the oil filter). However not all of the oil can be drained from the engine. To drain most of the engine oil the front of the car should be slightly raised (approximately 15 cm). In this situation 4,95 Liter of oil is drained from the engine.

A 5 Liter container of oil is just enough.

• Like 1

On 6/18/2018 at 7:22 PM, superantew said:

I'm tuning the car and what a thicker specification.. 

Thicker oil will not help if you are going for a re map or provide anymore protection.

The clearences in the engine are set by Ford for the 5w20 oil and by changing the oil all you do is put the oil pump under more pressure as its trying to push a thicker oil into the same clearences. 

On a side note I found some information online about a UK company that tuned BMWs and when they were building a big power engine they went for larger clearences in the big ends and main bearings so that they could use higher specification oil for more protection as the engine was making over 800Hp. 

I have the same engine as you and have been using the Castrol 5w20 with a 180Bhp re map with no issues yet. 

Not sure if you've picked up on it Eatonm112 but that post was from June 2018 and has just been resurrected today by Woodburner 1967 ??

48 minutes ago, Phil3747 said:

Not sure if you've picked up on it Eatonm112 but that post was from June 2018 and has just been resurrected today by Woodburner 1967 ??

I did after I had wrote my reply. I think its best to let anyone know that changing oil grades is not such a wise thing as it can cost you in the end.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club