Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Limp mode

KugaEdge

Only had my Edge sport 4 days and loving it. It is a 2017car with 14k miles on it.

Taking the shine of the experience though is a limp mode issue. Has happened twice when under hard acceleration, as the  revs rise it chimes, spanner appears on the display with a check handbook message and goes into limp mode. Leaving  it off for a couple of minutes clears the fault and it comes out of limp mode.

I'll book it into the dealer, any thoughts for things I could  check in the interim as it's very  anoying?

Sounds like a small air leak in the air intake system, something like an inter-cooler pipe loose. Its OK when pootling along but under hard acceleration will bring up a fault.

Should be easily fixed.

H

After having the spanner appear, with similar symptoms, it was just the fuel filter that needed changing. (My problem was in extreme cold though)

I had the limp mode thing with my old Kuga. It turned out to be the sensor for the diesel particulate filter. A diagnostic check at the dealer via the obd port will establish the cause. It could be a variety of things.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies. It's in the dealer tomorrow so hopefully should be diagnosed and fixed.

My DPF sensor failed but the only thing I had happen was the engine management light stay on constantly till it was fixed. Had to wait a month for them to get the part in stock though!

So it's back, with a not entirely satisfactory response. Two old stored fault codes in the PCM, P06DD engine oil pressure control circuit performance/stuck off and P06DE engine oil pressure control circuit stuck on.

Dealer solution is to clear them and see if they come back. To be fair it hasn't faulted and gone into limp for about 10 days now, but I still hold my breath every time I need to overtake something.

we have the same problem with our B-MAX,  worse is doing a right turn at a junction, was in Ford garage last Monday and again today,  10 minutes after leaving Ford garage, our info disappears, MPG miles to empty etc, after they disappear the car loses acceleration. at 18 months old very disappointed with it.

I have had the samended issue with my 17 plate Edge.

Ford have said nothing show on pcm 🙂

Could I ask is it the auto one with 230BHP.

Garage will say it 210 but look on Ford Etis site and it will tell you the correct BHP.

Standard they are 210 but Ford made some 230 mine is the 230 and had nothing but problems, I previosuly has 210Bhp with no issues at all.

Tony, mine says 230bhp on Etis as well, I just assumed  that was some sort of error. Is it true that some Edge diesels have 230bhp?

Mine's been fine now for over a fortnight. I found out that mine had been parked up at the dealer for nearly 3 months  before they lowered the price and I purchased  it. I'm kind of hoping that the problem was just due to it having  been parked up and needing a few spirited drives to clear everything out, Fingers crossed. Every drive I do at the moment  I try do something at full throttle, either to try and replicate the fault or to satisfy me that it has actually gone away.

Alistair. 

No pal Ford have admitted they have made a hand full of 230BHP a hand full to Ford could be thousands.

Mine was still having issues when I dropped it in to Ford 3 weeks ago. 

I am going to start another post as I think my next issue might be important to some.

Really? What did they do accidentally put the wrong engine in? 😆

Well, I can't see any downsides of an extra 20bhp for free anyway 😀

Mine says 230 too, I assumed it was an error, but if its not, great! I cant see that 20bhp is going to make it a bad engibe, it'll only be  different mapping.

Same engine just differant map apparently.

• 3 weeks later...

3 more weeks in and no further re-occurrence of the fault. Can only conclude that it was because the car had been sat around unused for a while before I got it. Fingers crossed it has now gone permanently.

• 11 months later...

Bit of a thread revival and not sure if this will help anyone else.  I have a 2017 S Max with the 210 (or 230 if you believe ETIS) TDCi engine and have been experiencing this exact problem.

Under normal driving car is fine and drives just fine no issues.  Give it some, particularly in the higher gears and it goes into limp mode.  Has done it several times and is quite difficult to replicate as you really have to be gunning the car for it to happen...all the worse though is it'd be potentially very dangerous on a higher speed overtake if it were to happen.

Took car in recently and they replaced the oil Pressure Control Solenoid.  I've not really had a chance to drive it properly since but the consensus from the Ford dealer was that when the car was trying to switch from low oil pressure to high oil pressure (as it does at higher RPM's) the solenoid was failing to switch between the two pressure states.  Kinda makes sense as I guess at higher engine speeds, and higher road speeds the car is likely to flip into high pressure mode to ensure proper lubrication.  Limp home comes in to prevent the engine being damaged by potential low oil pressure at higher engine speeds I would guess.

I'll try and write back and confirm in due course but hoping this is the final fix.

The oil pressure control solenoid was the fix, car is now fine.  If you get the above issue and the two codes in your ECU it'll be this.

Just be aware that under normal driving the issue won't occur, as the car has to be under some fair load/be at pretty high speeds in higher gears for the issue to occur as it will only happen when the car switches from low pressure to high which it will only tend to do when put under load.

I had my codes cleared, and the issue returned...clearing the codes very likely won't fix the issue.

• 1 year later...

pipsyp, thank you! my 2017 Ford Edge (owned 2 weeks) had similar issues when under hard acceleration or steep incline (engine under load) but no error codes showing. Took it back to garage and I instructed/insisted they consider the control solenoid. It was faulty and now being replaced and should get car back tomorrow....

This is starting to be seen as an issue on the Edge (now they are a few years old). The Solenoid in question seems to be a common issue (Fault Code P06DD) on the 2.0L engines in the ford range and there are a number of videos on YouTube that show you its location (next to the oil filter) on other models, and how to replace it (1 nut and a connector!). It seems to be a quite common part (NOT TO SURE OF THE ACTUAL PART NUMBER USED ON THE EDGE!), so I might get one in the toolbox ready!

This video is for the 2018 Focus with the 2.0L diesel engine ...

Be interesting to see if regular oil changes would prevent it from getting clogged up and maybe an ultrasonic cleaner would flush out and fix a stuck sensor!

P.S. Had limp home kick in on my old MK1 Kuga and that was the regen diesel injector blocked on the DPF! Fix with a replacement.

• 1 year later...

I've had the same error code and local dealer says the solenoid is €160 all in. Just before I purchase has anybody changed the oil pressure switch and fixed the problem too?

===PCM DTC P06DD:00-68===
Code: P06DD - Engine oil Pressure Control Circuit Performance/Stuck Off

- Previously Set DTC - Not Present at Time of Request
 - Malfunction Indicator Lamp is Off for this DTC
 - Test not complete

Module: Powertrain Control Module

Freeze Frame  #1:
-EVENT_TIME: 202930493 s (Tue Mar 29 10:19:34 2022) - Event time
-TOTAL_DISTANCE: 208927 km - Total Distance
-MODULE_VOLTAGE: 14.5 V - Control Module Voltage
-OUTDOOR_TEMPERATURE: 10 °C - Outside temperature
-PWR_MODE_KEY: Key Out  - Power Mode Key State
-PWR_MODE_QF: Power Mode Undefined  - Power Mode Quality Factor
===END PCM DTC P06DD:00-68===

Had the same issue with mine, solenoid changed but never cured ths problem. After reading up on it I put some DPF cleaner in the tank then thrashed the nuts off it for 30 mins. Done that a couple of times and fingers crossed seems to have done the trick. It seems to be an issue that can be caused by a few different things, best of luck.

1 hour ago, Scouser19 said:

then thrashed the nuts off it for 30 mins.

Sounds like you just need to thrash the nuts off it more often! 😁😉

• 3 weeks later...

I'm sat in the Ford service centre having been told that this (limp mode on revs) is caused by the oil pressure control solenoid on my 2015 diesel S-Max.

£300+ to replace.  I think I'll shop around. 

1 hour ago, Neil23JH said:

I'm sat in the Ford service centre having been told that this (limp mode on revs) is caused by the oil pressure control solenoid on my 2015 diesel S-Max.

£300+ to replace.  I think I'll shop around. 

I think you need to!

See my post above (Aug 7 2020), the solenoid is about £10 and 5 minutes to change ... 30 if you change the oil whilst your at it!

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/4/2022 at 4:32 PM, simonb65 said:

I think you need to!

See my post above (Aug 7 2020), the solenoid is about £10 and 5 minutes to change ... 30 if you change the oil whilst your at it!

I'm not sure if you can buy this solenoid for £10 or you just lost one zero ;) I paid £108 I believe for mine but I still haven't found the time to change it.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club