Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk8 Hill start assist

Matt12341234

Anyone else found their hill start assist turning off randomly? Haven't had the car 2 months yet but I've had to go into the settings 3 times and turn it back on. 

Not had any problems so far (2,000 miles). How do you know it's off btw, does a message come up, or does it just not work?

I was just thinking that mine never seems to actuate - not checked to see if it's turned itself off...

It has turned off 1-2 times.. Dont know why though.. Not sure if it has to do with the fact that i have connected the car to forscan or just a coincidence. Hasn't done it for a while though..

8 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Not had any problems so far (2,000 miles). How do you know it's off btw, does a message come up, or does it just not work?

I start rolling down a hill slightly when it would normally hold briefly lol. Don't get a message to say its deactived 

5 minutes ago, Matt12341234 said:

I start rolling down a hill slightly when it would normally hold briefly lol. Don't get a message to say its deactived 

Just to clarify - so when that happens and you go back into settings has the hill start assist box unticked itself?

have found (and I think others have mentioned this elsewhere) that it doesn't seem to engage unless you have pressed the brake really hard when coming to a standstill. My previous car (Seat) was the same.

Yes the option 'unticks' itself. Doesn't happen to other options like the wipers, parking sensors etc 

Simple answer to this is to use the handbrake for hill starts.

2 hours ago, Matt12341234 said:

Yes the option 'unticks' itself. Doesn't happen to other options like the wipers, parking sensors etc 

Weird! Sounds like something to get checked out then. Annoying - you pay for these things in the price of the car and they should work! Like @Bobr if I'm on a public road and someone may be behind me I always use the handbrake as well anyway, but I do use the HSA on private driveways etc and as I say have not had a problem so far.

Hi, new to the forum- had mine since March. I keep switching the hill start assist off. next day its back on! Still trying to get it sorted.

33 minutes ago, watson789 said:

Hi, new to the forum- had mine since March. I keep switching the hill start assist off. next day its back on! Still trying to get it sorted.

It resets every time you start.

Just been re-reading the manual regarding this feature. According to that:

On automatic cars - the system turns on when you switch on the ignition and cannot be switched off

On manual cars - the system remembers the last setting when you start your vehicle

It also says - the system turns off if there is a malfunction or if you excessively rev the engine. (My italics) Now, what does that mean? If you rev it too much when setting off on a hill? Or if you just give it some welly at any time??

Had the Mrs check her car this morning and the hill start was still ON as it has been always.

Mine's been on since I had the car, nearly 1600 miles on the clock.

• 2 years later...
On 6/18/2018 at 10:11 PM, Matt12341234 said:

Anyone else found their hill start assist turning off randomly? Haven't had the car 2 months yet but I've had to go into the settings 3 times and turn it back on. 

This has been happening to mine only had it 3 months going In tomorrow for a check

My ST Line X did this one time and I almost rolled into the bin on my drive because I usually rely on it rather than the handbrake when I leave the house in the morning.  Thought that it was the wife turning it off or something and never thought much of it.  Only happened the once.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/14/2020 at 11:49 PM, Easyfit64 said:

This has been happening to mine only had it 3 months going In tomorrow for a check

Hi Easyfit64, Did you get this checked? My MK8 keeps doing this for no obvious reason also and was wondering if it was a simple fix or a dealership issue?

I use the stop start and therefore always put the handbrake on when I shift into neutral. Previous HSA cars always needed a firm push on the brake in order to operate and that on the Fiesta is better than the others I have had. It does not seem to self cancel.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

My 68 plate STLine is doing the same thing. Did you get it resolved? Ford dealer says they can’t identify a problem. 

Thought hill start assist works in conjunction with the handbrake. Once handbrake IS released it holds the car for about 3 seconds then automatically releases.

1 hour ago, st line x 140 driver said:

Thought hill start assist works in conjunction with the handbrake. Once handbrake IS released it holds the car for about 3 seconds then automatically releases.

It briefly maintains pressure in the braking system. Idea is, on a manual, if you briefly stop on a hill with the clutch down and foot on the brake, it holds the brake on for a few seconds to give you time to get your right foot off the brake and on to the accelerator when you are ready to set off. No handbrake needed.

1 hour ago, st line x 140 driver said:

On an electronic handbrake then yes provided it is selected.

Though we're talking about the Mk 8 Fiesta here, afaik the system works the same way on the Focus 4 with EPB. From my time on various VW Group forums, I see a lot of folk (me included!) get confused between Hill Start Assist, Auto Hold, Electric Parking Brake etc. Last time I had a test drive in an Audi, with those, plus DSG auto and stop/start, you never knew it the damn thing was going to set off or not!😃 

• Like 1

I have electronic handbrake on my other car with dsg box. If electronic handbrake is on the only way to release it is to release it by pressing the release button. As is also an auto it has a hold function to stop car creeping operated by pressing harder on the brake when stationary. This releases only when accelerator is pressed.

The fiesta with the hill start assist i would never trust without handbrake applied too. If you stop on an incline without handbrake yes car brakes apply for 3 seconds then releases especially if you touch any pedal.

• Like 1