Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk8 Hill start assist

Matt12341234

9 minutes ago, st line x 140 driver said:

The fiesta with the hill start assist i would never trust without handbrake applied too.

Me neither, other than manoeuvring on a drive, etc! And I find you need to apply the handbrake very firmly, otherwise the HSA tricks you into thinking it's on, then the car rolls back when the HSA releases!

Hill start assist doesn't work after using the handbrake for clarification.  When you release the foot brake it'll release the HSA a few seconds later.  You can feel the car rock back on the handbrake if you apply that after the HSA has been triggered.  Important to note that the HSA doesn't hold from releasing the handbrake though, people might get the wrong idea there and roll back expecting the HSA to hold....which would actually be a more useful function! :laugh: 

Personally I'm not a fan of HSA, auto hold is a much better system.  HSA is a pain if you're creeping at a junction and then see a car coming so wait a few seconds...then it releases just before you lift the clutch.  Yet if I want to parallel park on a hill it won't let me creep about, but instead lurches towards other cars.  Who decided the idea of 3 seconds was significant?  I don't understand what the point of releasing without any clutch bite is. :unsure: 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Hill start assist doesn't work after using the handbrake for clarification.

Quite so, Tom. Problem with the Mk 8 Fiesta is that to apply the handbrake properly you need to press the brake pedal very firmly before pulling the handbrake lever on. This, naturally, activates the HSA so as I mentioned earler, it can trick you into thinking the handbrake is on more firmly than it actually is. Then when HSA deactivates after a few seconds, the car can move. This may be more likely after leaving the car and the brakes cool. This could explain why some members have reported their cars rolling away while parked with the handbrake on (and shows why you should always leave it in gear). It doesn't explain why some have reported the HSA "deselecting itself" in the menus, though. (Never happened on mine).

I suppose I really might as well deactivate mine as (like Simon) I don't rely on it.  There is one situation in my regular driving routine (on a private drive) where it's actually vaguely useful, though  - but even then, Auto Hold would be better.

• Like 2

If you were on a slope with handbrake on you would automatically put foot on brake once released activating hill start assist. You would then have 3 seconds to put it in gear and drive before car rolled.

• 3 months later...

Hello!

Any fixes for this yet? Anyone knows what is causing setting to change? (Hill assist turned on manually and then after couple weeks setting reverts to off position (unticked). 

1 hour ago, DENXIL said:

Hello!

Any fixes for this yet? Anyone knows what is causing setting to change? (Hill assist turned on manually and then after couple weeks setting reverts to off position (unticked). 

Yes annoying I've turned this off and then a couple days later or same day it will set its self to on again

I would like to know what is exactly doing it. Potentially dangerous if you relaying on it and it happens to magically untick itself...

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/14/2020 at 11:49 PM, Easyfit64 said:

This has been happening to mine only had it 3 months going In tomorrow for a check

Car went in for checking It needed a software update.

all ok now 8 months on still working as per the book

On 3/2/2021 at 5:14 PM, HRF1T2020 said:

Yes annoying I've turned this off and then a couple days later or same day it will set its self to on again

took mine in for a software update all ok now

On 3/2/2021 at 4:02 PM, DENXIL said:

Hello!

Took mine into main dealer software update all ok now

On 6/18/2018 at 10:11 PM, Matt12341234 said:

Anyone else found their hill start assist turning off randomly? Haven't had the car 2 months yet but I've had to go into the settings 3 times and turn it back on. 

Anyone else found their hill start assist turning off randomly? Haven't had the car 2 months yet but I've had to go into the settings 3 times and turn it back on. 

Tok mine into Main dealer for Software update all ok now

• Like 2

On 3/25/2021 at 8:31 PM, Easyfit64 said:

Took mine into main dealer software update all ok now

Well as mine is now out of warranty guess will have to leave it, as god knows how much they'll charge for a software update

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club