Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus spraying oil from popped dipstick tube

FocussedX

My 15 plate diesel Focus with 22k on the clock has just lost a litre of oil after the dipstick 'popped' up. I first noticed oil on the paving under the car but most of it had sprayed at pressure over the top of the engine and into the bonnet sound proofing. An AA man sent by Ford Assist said he had never heard of this before on cars but there had been a similar problem in vans with the same 1.5 Duratorq engine. The problem was apparently found to be caused by some engines being manufactured with a piston ring missing! My dealer reckons the O ring on the dipstick might have folded over or I had not pushed the dipstick fully home when I checked the oil about a month ago. I know enough about engines to always fit the dipstick properly?  The dipstick still grips tightly when pushed in so the O ring might still be OK. Anyone had a similar problem or can explain what caused it ?

It is normally the case of the dipstick not being fully pushed in on the 1.5 tdci. They are a tight fit and quite often feel like it is fitted correctly when it's not.

• Like 1

As I explained in my post, I check the oil regularly and know that the dipstick has to be fully pushed in. I last checked the oil a month ago so even if I had go it wrong there would have been signs of oil leaking, especially on my drive, which I pressure-washed  in April. During that month I did at least six non-stop journeys of about 100 miles and there was no smell of oil burning under the bonnet, no overheating and no drips on the drive. The leak happened suddenly  on Saturday after  a short trip lasting 10 minutes.

i have noticed that  my dipstick is not the type usually found on a 1.5 Duratorq engine, according to the handbook. It has a yellowish endpiece with a sort of marked gauge, which is found on the 2l engines. It is still a good, tight fit though. 

I am going to the dealers today for an oil and filter change.

Dealers found nothing wrong. Cause of 'popped' dipstick remains a mystery and only time will tell what has been going on. Will be keeping a close watch under the bonnet but now thinking that it imight be time to change cars. The newer Titanium X diesels are great and the touchscreen sat-nav/sound systems are brilliant. The auto door protectors are a stroke of genius. Very impressed.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Just experienced the same problem here 0n a 66 reg 1.5TDCI hasn't in the past lost any oil.  But after a short run last week noticed oil on the drive.  Looked under the bonnet and the dip stick had popped.  The ford dealer had done the last service a few months ago , dip stick not removed since.   Its a strange, one has gone in to garage for a steam clean and check over.

• 1 month later...

Is there any gas pressure when the dipstick is pulled out or the oil cap removed, you  may have excessive blow by or a defective PCV system pushing the stick out with excess crank case pressure

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi my 14 plate fiesta has started popping the dipstick. Its very intermittent. I drove last night for not even 10 mins and I could see and smell oil burning. Opened bonnet and yes it's up and all over. Previous time was a short journey again however this time all my oil was gone. It's a but worrying really. I notice you say the dipstick should be tight. Mine really isnt. Should I invest in a new one? 

Feeling a bit nervous 

Gemma

3 hours ago, Gembob22 said:

Hi my 14 plate fiesta has started popping the dipstick. Its very intermittent. I drove last night for not even 10 mins and I could see and smell oil burning. Opened bonnet and yes it's up and all over. Previous time was a short journey again however this time all my oil was gone. It's a but worrying really. I notice you say the dipstick should be tight. Mine really isnt. Should I invest in a new one? 

Feeling a bit nervous 

Gemma

If the dipstick is actually loose that could be the problem and a simple cheap fix, but generally if the dipsticks popping out whilst driving it’s usually a sign the crankcase pressure is too high! 

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Hi All, just had the same happen to our 2015 focus tdci. It only seems to happen in hot weather and am wondering if this makes it more or less likely to be a crankcase pressure issue or a dodgy dipstick. The dipstick o ring does feel too solid to seal properly so have ordered a new one! Any thoughts or advice appreciated! 

• 4 weeks later...

I have a Ford focus titanium 2.0 gas,I notice when I pull up my engine deepstick,the oil is blowing up ,is it normal to the gas 2.0 engine?

• 1 year later...

The same think has started happening with my 2014 TDCi. I first noticed oil on driveway several months back. 2 weeks ago, I topped up and pushed the dipstick back. Han a look yesterday and the dipstick was still in place and the oil level seemed ok. I will now check regularly. 

• Sad 1