Do Not Sell My Personal Information

So confused, can anyone help?

Confused in edinburgh

I have a Ford Focus Titanium 2016 with the Sync 2 stereo system. I’m going on quite a long journey so bought a dongle for the car so that it can act as a hotspot for the kids iPads etc. I’ve plugged it in but it doesn’t seem to work (I thought this might be the case as I couldn’t find a compatability list anywhere). It’s the Huawei E3372 that I bought. 

Does anybody know of a dongle that works? The car doesn’t seem to recognise this one. 

Or am I perhaps missing some crucial part of the install?

thanks in advance for any help at all. 

Following this with interest

What are the options for the network, I forget now as I have Sync3 in my new car. Can you choose between LAN and PAN? My WiFi hotspot is made via my mobile with Sync3 which isn’t really required because I could simply use the phone as a hotspot without sync all together. 

A plug in dongle won't work as it needs a computer to interface with, it only receives & transmits to a phone network.

You need a mi-fi dongle that works as a standalone device (basically a very stripped down mobile phone).

Something like this-

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F223007351332

Sent from my SM-G965F (S9+)

17 hours ago, Confused in edinburgh said:

I have a Ford Focus Titanium 2016 with the Sync 2 stereo system. I’m going on quite a long journey so bought a dongle for the car so that it can act as a hotspot for the kids iPads etc. I’ve plugged it in but it doesn’t seem to work (I thought this might be the case as I couldn’t find a compatability list anywhere). It’s the Huawei E3372 that I bought. 

Does anybody know of a dongle that works? The car doesn’t seem to recognise this one. 

Or am I perhaps missing some crucial part of the install?

thanks in advance for any help at all. 

I just use the "hot spot" feature of my phone, but I guess it depends on your mobile provider and allowance.  

I think you will need a mobile phone or other hotspot device to act as a self contained mobile hot spot, which doesn't require any connection to the Sync system anyway.

• Like 1

I got this direct from ford UK, according to them you can use a compatible dongle but it has no list of compatible dongles. 

3180891E-F242-4611-8FAF-E071E26A31B4.png

Also the car itself has the option for USB mobile broadband. 

I contacted my local Ford dealer who similarly had no clue and said they’d never heard of anybody having used this or having any issues not using it. 

A75AD5D2-2EB5-45BC-B881-36335918DF68.jpeg

Just seems a bag of hassle using Sync as a hotspot. 

Don't know what mobile provider the OP is using, but on my Three plan I get a decent 30GB allowance for tethering, in addition to phone use data.  Saves a fortune on buying a dongle and the cost of using a data only sim.

I get 8gb and the car actually will use my phone tethered to create a hotspot (though clearly that’s not really necessary as could just be done with the phone). 

Its not not that I can’t do this another way, it’s more that I’d prefer just to have a thing that is left in the car at all times so that it’s always there for the kids in the back to connect to or whatever. 

Usually googling any issue I have with anything or YouTube provide all the answers I need but I just can’t find the answer to this. Lots of videos on how to set the system up but nobody saying what device they are using. 

7 minutes ago, Confused in edinburgh said:

it’s more that I’d prefer just to have a thing that is left in the car at all times so that it’s ays there for the kids in the back to connect to or whatever. 

Hope it's PAYG then. My kids used 24GB over a couple of weeks recently on long trips.

It is Pay G. I actually already have the sim with 15gb of data waiting to go. 

Thanks for all the responses guys. I’ve given up and I’ve attached a cheap 4g phone via the cable which does the job. I don’t really understand why it doesn’t work as advertised, I understand even less why others can get it to work and I can’t, it’s done now though.  

On 6/20/2018 at 4:34 PM, avi said:

Just seems a bag of hassle using Sync as a hotspot. 

Don't know what mobile provider the OP is using, but on my Three plan I get a decent 30GB allowance for tethering, in addition to phone use data.  Saves a fortune on buying a dongle and the cost of using a data only sim.

How much data do you have on your plan in total then? My wife is just in the process of getting a 3 contract S9+ with 30G data and free Netflix streaming that doesn’t come out of her data bundle.

On 6/20/2018 at 4:55 PM, avi said:

Hope it's PAYG then. My kids used 24GB over a couple of weeks recently on long trips.

I was in hospital at the beginning of the year and due to be very unwell and vulnerable to the ward environment I was looked after in a negative pressure room, it had no TV or anything. I didn’t really get to have much contact with people because of all the infection control measures, I ended up using 43G of data in 4 days!! My plan was for 8G, oops. Vodafone we’re great when I explained my situation and gave me a month of unlimited data usage 😁

I'm ok with my mobile data as I have a 90Gb monthly allowance, not that I share it anyway, but it is handy for linking to my Samsung or HP Windows 10 tablets when needed.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jonro2009 said:

How much data do you have on your plan in total then? My wife is just in the process of getting a 3 contract S9+ with 30G data and free Netflix streaming that doesn’t come out of her data bundle.

I was in hospital at the beginning of the year and due to be very unwell and vulnerable to the ward environment I was looked after in a negative pressure room, it had no TV or anything. I didn’t really get to have much contact with people because of all the infection control measures, I ended up using 43G of data in 4 days!! My plan was for 8G, oops. Vodafone we’re great when I explained my situation and gave me a month of unlimited data usage 😁

Ouch !

It's a sim only plan that includes all you can eat mobile phone data, a 30GB hotspot for tethering, plus call minutes etc per month. As far as mobile phone video streaming, it has no impact on my data allowance whatever service is used. Sometimes data gets really hammered (100Gb+) but never had a issue.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Stoney871 said:

I'm ok with my mobile data as I have a 90Gb monthly allowance, not that I share it anyway, but it is handy for linking to my Samsung or HP Windows 10 tablets when needed.

That sounds like it could be very expensive! Do you get a special rate through work?

40 minutes ago, avi said:

Ouch !

It's a sim only plan that includes all you can eat mobile phone data, a 30GB hotspot for tethering, plus call minutes etc per month. As far as mobile phone video streaming, it has no impact on my data allowance whatever service is used. Sometimes data gets really hammered (100Gb+) but never had a issue.

That’s some plan! I know my wife would love unlimited data, she hardly ever actually speaks to anyone on the phone anyway

No special deals, just a 50Gb plan with O2 and a bonus extra 40Gb a month for 2 years for pre-ordering my Samsung S9+ when it came out.

Sent from my SM-G965F (S9+)

8 hours ago, Jonro2009 said:

That sounds like it could be very expensive! Do you get a special rate through work?

That’s some plan! I know my wife would love unlimited data, she hardly ever actually speaks to anyone on the phone anyway

£17 per month sim only.  Had it for a while.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club