Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Advice on which diesel to buy please

portobe17o

I want to buy a diesel Fiesta but not with the same engine as I have in my current 2006 one, (the one with dodgy injector seals)

Which year did they stop using that 1.4 engine?

I've got a feeling the 1.4 disappeared when the ecoboost came in ~2013. Probably wrong though. 

Is there a particular reason you're wanting a diesel? 

Only because the road tax on mine is £30 a year and I was getting between 60 and 70 mpg, around town.

Are the petrol ones the same? (I only just decided I want a new car and haven't really looked into it yet)

7 hours ago, portobe17o said:

Only because the road tax on mine is £30 a year and I was getting between 60 and 70 mpg, around town.

Are the petrol ones the same? (I only just decided I want a new car and haven't really looked into it yet)

You can hit ~55 realistically in the ecoboost if you're driving economically.  

I tend to be a bit liberal with the left foot so I get ~40. Free tax though. 

1 hour ago, jbell said:

You can hit ~55 realistically in the ecoboost if you're driving economically.  

I tend to be a bit liberal with the left foot so I get ~40. Free tax though. 

^ should say both feet. Posting before waking up...

Yeah you could look at the mk7 fiesta with the 1 litre ecoboost engine. Cheap to run and is quick claiming under 10 seconds to 60. Could look at the 1.6 TDCI however I'd say you'd have to look out for injector seals and the injectors themselves leaking. My fiesta 1.6 TDCI had a leaking injector which I found after buying it. It would start up and run lumpy for a bit. Apart from fixing the injectors and buying new brake lines it has been reliable. 

None of them.  Modern diesels are all full of major issues waiting to happen these days.  As you mention mpg 'around town' you'll get DPF issues on a newer Fiesta for a start.

But then the 1.0 EB has several common faults as well...  Mainly coolant issues and fuel pump issues.

Of course there are some good ones that manage to dodge the faults, and individually you'll  get people saying 'mines been fine' but overall there isn't a single engine type that you could 100% trust to be fault free.  Injector seals are one of the least worst issues imo.

• Like 1

I also forgot to say but if you live in London and planning to get a diesel check that it won't be part of the ultra low emissions zone charge. Diesels around 2015 won't be charged. 

I reckon the 1400 was replaced by 1500 around 2013. The 1500 is really the 1600 with 61cc knocked off it. The 1600 was 1560cc.

The 1.6 in a fiesta of your age (2006) was a twin cam 16 valve but roughly around 2010 the 1.6 was reduced to 8 valve single cam.

When the 1500 (75bhp) replaced the 1400, the 1.6 (95bhp)was still available but I think maybe only in Zetec S and Econetic models (not 100% sure on this) . And then in about 2015 the 1.6 disappeared and the only diesel engine in Fiesta was the 1500.  Being 75bhp and 95bhp .   My November 2015 1.5 diesel Econetic is 95bhp and the road tax is free.

I had a 2007 1.6tdci and that had injector seal leaks also. I never replaced them, I just did the nuts up a bit tighter each time and that would work for quite a few thousand miles (at least 20k I reckon - I had the car up to when it was on 146k miles). Everyone says that once they start leaking they always need replacing but I found otherwise, perhaps I was just lucky.

I still have diesel as I do 16,500 miles each year and save money on the fuel economy, but the stuff like DPF is a worry and if I was doing a lot lower mileage I would probably not have bought a diesel with DPF and gone for petrol. You might save some money on road tax but people who have dpf problems would say it is not much consolation to have saved the money on the road tax.

15 hours ago, portobe17o said:

Road tax on the 100 Ecoboost Fiesta (up to 2018) is £0

Thanks everyone. I'm not really worried about speed so I think I'll be looking for a I.0 Ecoboost.

Which year were they introduced? Just so I don't waste time looking at the wrong model.

3 hours ago, isetta said:

I reckon the 1400 was replaced by 1500 around 2013. The 1500 is really the 1600 with 61cc knocked off it. The 1600 was 1560cc.

Actually it's not that simple. Although the 1.5 TDCi is an evolution of the 1.6 TDCi, it is not "the 1600 with 61cc knocked off it".

It is a much better engine both in NVH and power delivery.

1 hour ago, portobe17o said:

Thanks everyone. I'm not really worried about speed so I think I'll be looking for a I.0 Ecoboost.

Which year were they introduced? Just so I don't waste time looking at the wrong model.

2013, the start of the mk7's, but I'd try and source a newer one as the early versions were the ones plagued with cooling issues that I believe were fixed a year or so later.

3 hours ago, Luke4efc said:

2013, the start of the mk7's, but I'd try and source a newer one as the early versions were the ones plagued with cooling issues that I believe were fixed a year or so later.

Tbh ones from 2013 that are still on the road have likely been fixed - that plastic pipe seemingly didn't take much to crack. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club