Do Not Sell My Personal Information

St-2 Bumper damage

thatfiestaguy

So I picked up my Focus ST-2 after work yesterday, however the joy was short lived.

Several hours later and I'm driving home, I approach a speed bump not going that fast, between 5 and 10 miles an hour, I had music playing and air con on so couldn't hear a huge amount outside.

I thought I could hear an awful scraping noise, so turned the music and air con off, I stopped and got out to check, as I went round the side of the car approaching the back, I could already see the bumper on the right hand side (As you look at it from the back) hanging off on one side, there was 2 cracks near the top where it clips into the body.

It kept falling off on the way home, and I had to stop twice on the way back to clip it back on again.

I clipped it back in again and drove it to work this morning and back home again a short while ago, and so far so good, it has not come off.

It's damage with cracks on both sides near the top, but it's only the right side of the bumper that falls off and drags along the ground, it's the part with the two lights, the bottom lip if you like, the bit above the exhaust.

The car is a 17 plate and is only 14 months old, so still has 22 months warranty left.

What do you reckon the chances are of it being replaced free of charge?

I contacted the guy who I bought it from, but he's on 2 days off, so spoke to someone else, who said he'd get back to me about it.

Dad said he has spoken to someone else at one of Ford's prep centres and they said they will speak to someone who works at one of their repair dealers about it.

It does seem odd, if i'm honest, it's a nice car, but if it's got such a design issue whereby going over a (small speedbump - I might add) at between 5 and 10 miles an hour causes the rear lower bumper to fall off on side, that's not great design.

Just hope they will replace it free of charge.

I've never heard of someone ripping their bumper off on a stock ST (they're not that low!). I still don't see them replacing it at their expensive as you were the one who hit the speed bump. A warranty doesn't really cover bodywork unless it's something like paint bubbling on a 18 month old car etc.

The only way you could get this sorted for free (but you would probably have to get a refund and give the car back) is if it is lowered and it you wasn't told about it when you bought the car.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Luke4efc said:

I've never heard of someone ripping their bumper off on a stock ST (they're not that low!). I still don't see them replacing it at their expensive as you were the one who hit the speed bump. A warranty doesn't really cover bodywork unless it's something like paint bubbling on a 18 month old car etc.

The only way you could get this sorted for free (but you would probably have to get a refund and give the car back) is if it is lowered and it you wasn't told about it when you bought the car.

Well believe me, it happened, and I was as surprised as anyone when it did, and like I said, i wasn't doing any real speed either, but it seems incredibly strange that going at a low speed like that and going over a small bump causes the rear bumper to catch on the way off the bump and rip one side off!

By the sound of it Dad has managed to talk someone who he knows that works at one of the local dealers to repair or replace it for free, so that should be sorted hopefully.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club