Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MPG read out

dpw28

Hi Everyone

A new fiesta 2015, zetec ecoboost owner here, almost 3 weeks in and really loving everything about the car (came from an audi a3) and its fastly becoming my favourite car ive ever owned.

Not an issue but just a question. I got the car with around 22k miles on the clock, ive done almost 500 now i think and the MPG readout has gone from 41 to almost 45 in these few weeks, going off the ecoboost review part on the computer, ive improved on gear changes and breaking since the previous owner which is good.

My question is do people reset their MPG after every petrol fill up? ive not had this option on previous cars so not sure if its the done thing.

Cheers

I reset everything.

Sent from my SM-G965F (S9+)

• Like 1

Cheers. Anyone else? Is this good practice?

it's really up to you. if for example you drove the same journeys every week and reset it every week, then it's easier to see if old bad driving habits (adversely affecting mpg) are creeping back in.  And it's also good in training you to drive economically to see if you can improve the figure each week. 

I have measured my mpg by brimming the tank and then keeping a note of how many litres I have put in it over about the last 25,000 miles (bit sad i know).

Based on this I can say that the mpg shown on the dashboard is normally about 3.5% more than the true mpg. 

• Like 1

I reset everything when I fill up and note the milage and amount of fuel put in.   Then I enter it in a spreadsheet.   I can tell you exactly what fuel I use and my mpg.   The mpg shown on the dash is usually a bit optimistic.   I can tell that, since I've had the car, I've averaged a shade over 40mpg  with a low of 33mpg and a high of 55mpg.

How basic was your A3 if it didn't have the mpg computer? 😮  Most have dual computers, one that records each trip, and one that records as long as you like.

Anyway, I reset everything on mine at the filling station and enter it into a spreadsheet when home same as Bob does above.  1.6 TDCi Focus computer shows 63mpg, reality is more like 58mpg.  A3 2.0 TDI shows 58mpg but reality was 57mpg...only done one tank in that so far though.

Similar to @isetta , I've kept track of my MPG for my ST since picking it up to just over 25025 miles. I use Fuelly.com for keeping track of everything. Unlike isetta, Stoney871 and Bobr, I only reset the trip computer reading.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club