Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford ranger 2.2 powertrain warning light help needed

DaleBarnes

Im having an issue with my 62 plate 2.2 TD Ranger

The powertrain warning light comes on after around 5 miles of normal driving and there seems to be a slight drop in power, i plugged it into a friends diagnostic reader and there was 3 fault codes that read as:

• Cylinder 1 glow plug circuit
  • Cylinder 4 glow plug circuit
  • Catalyst temperature too low during regeneration

Can anyone shed any light on what the issue might be? Could it be a MAF sensor causing the catalyst temperature issue and that could cause the light to come on? Or could it be that the glow plugs are causing the issue and need to be replaced? Any help would be appreciated!

sounds like glow plugs. the glow plugs switch on prior to regen to increase the combustion temps. but you could also have other issues giving the cat temp to low. fuel vaporiser can block up stopping the diesel fuel being sent upstream  of dpf. 

so i would check the glow plugs first. enjoy as the inlet manifold needs to come off i think to access the plugs. about 4 hrs to do them. 

• 7 months later...

Did you solve this as I’m having the same lights come on and now engine light 

• 4 months later...

wow i have the same fault on my 65 plate truck did you solve the problem with changing the glow plugs ? or was it the DPF sensor in the exhaust manifold? 

• 2 months later...

My 2015 PX ranger has started to show power train fault, and goes into limp mode, reset a few times by power off, now as well the engine light is on and this will not reset, also engine revs up for no known reason, had to drive home in limp mode, all this happened while towing and also not towing, by reading forums it seems these rangers got a built in problem,

taking car to ford but my vehicle is just out of warranty by 15 months, only has 69000lkm showing, any suggestions greatly welcome.

Joe

• 10 months later...

Did anyone find out the issue with the power train light?

I had this on mine 18 months ago.  The system will not attempt a regen cycle if glow plugs show a fault as they need to fire up to raise the temperatures etc.  

I had a new set of glow plugs and then a new vapouriser followed by a manual clean as the soot levels were too high for a regen...  after that all good and no further problems (18,000 miles at least).

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

Hi I have ranger 2014 2.2 auto power train light comes on after about 5 miles of driving and now engine light has come on anyone no why this is happening 

My 2016 3.2 ford ranger has just started doing this too power train light comes on and seems to go into limp mode. Anybody get any advice? 

On 7/25/2020 at 1:13 PM, Glh said:

Hi I have ranger 2014 2.2 auto power train light comes on after about 5 miles of driving and now engine light has come on anyone no why this is happening 

19 hours ago, Jo ad said:

My 2016 3.2 ford ranger has just started doing this too power train light comes on and seems to go into limp mode. Anybody get any advice? 

Get the faults scanned as soon as possible, as it's the only way to know for sure.  This was how it started with mine, after a few failed regen attempts which throw up the powertrain warning each time, the engine management light comes on and stays on.  Get it checked asap as it can ruin the DPF or at least make it very difficult to clean and regenerate once the underlying issue is fixed.

• 1 month later...

I have had the same lights just come up on my dash 2.2 2013 ranger 

The scan has picked up all 4 glow plugs and a mass air flow error 

Has anyone had this before I find it strange that all 4 plugs have gone at the same time 

I think it may be more to do with the maf error 

My mechanic can't see the car for a few days either 

• 9 months later...
On 7/18/2020 at 10:56 PM, Joelxyz said:

I had this on mine 18 months ago.  The system will not attempt a regen cycle if glow plugs show a fault as they need to fire up to raise the temperatures etc.  

I had a new set of glow plugs and then a new vapouriser followed by a manual clean as the soot levels were too high for a regen...  after that all good and no further problems (18,000 miles at least).

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the post Joel. I’ve had the exact same issue. I’ve taken it in and got the glow plugs and MAF fixed and still get the warning light. 

What should I ask the mechanic to do because the error codes won’t suggest a manual clean or new vaporizer right? And it doesn’t seem like they take the time to check Ford Forums like this. How did your mechanic discover the resolution?

On 7/18/2020 at 10:56 PM, Joelxyz said:

Hope this helps.

Can I just buy a dpf cleaner if I’ve already replaced my glow plugs and MAF?

Brian, did you get the vaporiser replaced too? They clog up with carbon build up and therefore cannot squirt diesel in to the exhaust (to help raise the temperature), there's also a glow plug as part of the vaporiser unit, which can fail too.

If yours is already failing to regen then dpf cleaner will not help.

Additionally, If it's anything like my car then if it fails and gives an error on the dash, then it will not try another regen until the error code is cleared (with a scanning tool or laptop, ELM327 lead and Forscan software). And if you keep driving it will just clog up the dpf more and more, it will eventually put the engine in limp mode (this is the point I stopped driving my car).  If they completely fill up then it is very hard to regen them without removal or replacement.

11 hours ago, Frembrit said:

Brian, did you get the vaporiser replaced too? They clog up with carbon build up and therefore cannot squirt diesel in to the exhaust (to help raise the temperature), there's also a glow plug as part of the vaporiser unit, which can fail too.

Additionally, If it's anything like my car then if it fails and gives an error on the dash, then it will not try another regen until the error code is cleared (with a scanning tool or laptop, ELM327 lead and Forscan software). And if you keep driving it will just clog up the dpf more and more, it will eventually put the engine in limp mode (this is the point I stopped driving my car).  If they completely fill up then it is very hard to regen them without removal or replacement.

No I didn’t get a vaporizer replaced. I’ve taken it in twice and they just keep clearing the error codes and replacing the parts ie glow plugs and MAF. How do I get them to replace the vaporizer and do a manual regen? Just ask? Or do then need a error code to be sure?

11 hours ago, Frembrit said:

I guess I’m asking, what do I tell these guys to get this fixed? It will be my third time taking it in

Sorry to say, but if the garage have failed to diagnose it so far then it must be making you think if they know what they are doing.

They need to read the error codes and understand what they mean. Are you actually having regen problems? If you are then it's usually something related to the vaporiser, pressure sensor or related electrical connections.

2 hours ago, Frembrit said:

Sorry to say, but if the garage have failed to diagnose it so far then it must be making you think if they know what they are doing.

They need to read the error codes and understand what they mean. Are you actually having regen problems? If you are then it's usually something related to the vaporiser, pressure sensor or related electrical connections.

I’m not sure if I’m having regen problems. I’m just getting the same error codes as everyone else in this chat and I’m trying to figure out how they got it fixed outside just plugging it in and reading error codes

On 6/22/2018 at 12:29 PM, DaleBarnes said:
  • Cylinder 1 glow plug circuit
  • Cylinder 4 glow plug circuit
  • Catalyst temperature too low during regeneration

If you're getting the third error, "Catalyst temperature too low during regeneration" then this will be related to the vaporiser in the exhaust pipe not being able to squirt diesel in to the exhaust to raise the temps required for a regen (over 600 Celsius). It will either be blocked due to carbon build up or the glow plug has failed, either way a replacement vaporiser is the best solution...then reset error codes and either perform a static regen or go for a drive and it should start a regen after a few miles.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hi - I'm driving a Ford Ranger 2015 and the first time that this powertrain lamp came on, along with my traction control lamp - was in Feb 2022 when we toured in Namibia. Ranger went into limp mode as well. But the warning lamps was not on all the time. We took the Ranger to a Ford dealer when we came back and they said that the sensors pulled out. Problem seemed to be solved. However in Nov2022 it came on again. Took it to another machinic - they couldn't see what seems to be the problem but the lamps where off - until 3 days ago - it stays on now and the Ranger is in limp mode and the diesel consumption is through the roof

• 9 months later...

Hi, on my third iteration of this error. (2012 PX Ranger 2.2Lt 6 Sp Man(Australian Hi-Rider)). At 80,000klm Powertrain Light came on for a short time then followed the next morning by the Check Engine Light. Took it to Ford Dealer that couldn't decipher the error code. Eventually after three days in Limp mode turned out to be a Cracked Intercooler. The second time this sequence of error lights came on (106,000klm) I could hear a very definitive whistle when the turbo spooled up.... Was the cold side Intercooler hose (Intercooler to inlet manifold). Small crack in hose. Patched with rubber self-vulcanizing tape and split radiator hose to take to Ford Dealer where I was told this was a fairly common fault. Replaced hose and no problem until this morning, (220,000klm). Based on Experience, I would look at the intercooler circuit first, like someone else said earlier, very unusual for multiple glow plugs to fail simultaneously. 

Hope this has helped in some way. 

• Confused 1

48 minutes ago, PTMES1 said:

Hope this has helped in some way. 

It might of helped if you had posted your answer back in June 2018 when the OP had the problem 🤣