Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Speed sensitive wipers

bronc

My 2012 Focus doesn't have auto wipers but I read in the user manual that some cars are equipped with speed sensitive wipers. I believe mine isn't as the wipers don't seem to mind the speed I'm going at. Can I activate this feature? I have an ELM327 on the way so I should have access to FoCCCus in a few days. 

Automatic wiper system

Some models without autowipers are fitted with a speed-dependent front screen wiper system. When the vehicle is slowed to walking speed or is brought to a standstill, the wiper speed will automatically switch to the next lower wiper speed setting. When the vehicle speed is increased, the wiper speed will return to the manually-chosen setting. Moving the wiper lever when the system is operating will switch off the system. If the vehicle is again slowed to walking speed or is brought to a standstill, the system is reactivated.

Can't find an option for this in FoCCCus. Anyone?

For auto wipers the car must have the rain sensor which is fitted in front of the rear view mirror against the windscreen. 

The wiper stalk control may also be different?

• Like 1

These are not auto but speed sensitive. Look at the extract from the manual in my first post

It's not a particularly useful feature tbh, all it does it slow down slightly when you stop at junctions.  99% of the time it won't do anything. 

I believe it's a standard thing on the Mk3 if you don't have auto-wipers, there is no setting to switch it on or off in FoCCCus.

8 hours ago, bronc said:

These are not auto but speed sensitive. Look at the extract from the manual in my first post

the speed that the wipers clear the screen is done by how much rain/spay is covering the rain sensor, so if your doing 70mph down the m.way and raining real hard they will wipe the screen faster ⛈️

the speed that the wipers clear the screen is done by how much rain/spay is covering the rain sensor, so if your doing 70mph down the m.way and raining real hard they will wipe the screen faster [emoji939]️
Please read the first post carefully.

57 minutes ago, bronc said:
1 hour ago, andypsp said:
the speed that the wipers clear the screen is done by how much rain/spay is covering the rain sensor, so if your doing 70mph down the m.way and raining real hard they will wipe the screen faster emoji939.png

Please read the first post carefully.

6 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

if you don't have auto-wipers, there is no setting to switch it on or off in FoCCCus.

Took my post out of context Andy! :tongue:

Without rain sensor wipers, the standard thing on the Focus (and others) is to slow the wiper speed at junctions.  It's classed as speed sensitive but really you have to be almost stationary before it drops the wiper speed.  It's a standard thing though, there's no setting to turn it on or off in FoCCCus, as long as you've ticked 'no rain sensor' it should work.  I'm pretty sure the OP has it, but it just isn't noticeable lol.

59 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Took my post out of context Andy! :tongue:

lol no probs, will just have to wait and see what happens when he gets the s/w and ELM up and running.

right time to go and enjoy the rest of this hot sticky day now 😎😴

19 hours ago, bronc said:

Apologies. 

It's raining again today here so I will monitor closely to see if the wiping intervals increase when I come to a stop. I will also see if there are any options related to that in the relevant module in ForScan. I did read somewhere that you can enable courtesy wipe from there so who knows..

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club