Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiesta Mk8 Satnav GPS issues / fault

Mavroz

2 hours ago, Blatto said:

Strange it doesn't recover once you are away from the area. My Old Tom tom sat nav would lose lose connection to the sattelites if there was a big thunder storm nearby. But once you were away from that area it would just pick up where you are and carry on with the route.

Yes, I thought it would be like DAB when it loses signal and temporarily switches to FM and reverts to DAB when the signal comes back. As mentioned several times on here however, it doesn't come back unless I do a soft reset or switch off and restart the car.

Again as mentioned in this thread I consistently lost signal in one particular spot, then had the cursor wander all over until reset as above. In my case the signal was lost away from any towns or buildings, so no idea why. This went on for the first 6/7 months I had the car and then stopped, for no apparent reason and I have not seen the "Ghostbusters" symbol since late last year. Gary seems to have had similar experiences.

Disappointing that 2 years or so after the Mk 8 came out the problem is still there, Ford still seem to have no idea of what the problem is and I have heard no more about the possible fix that was talked about.

1 hour ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Yes, I thought it would be like DAB when it loses signal and temporarily switches to FM and reverts to DAB when the signal comes back. As mentioned several times on here however, it doesn't come back unless I do a soft reset or switch off and restart the car.

Again as mentioned in this thread I consistently lost signal in one particular spot, then had the cursor wander all over until reset as above. In my case the signal was lost away from any towns or buildings, so no idea why. This went on for the first 6/7 months I had the car and then stopped, for no apparent reason and I have not seen the "Ghostbusters" symbol since late last year. Gary seems to have had similar experiences.

Disappointing that 2 years or so after the Mk 8 came out the problem is still there, Ford still seem to have no idea of what the problem is and I have heard no more about the possible fix that was talked about.

When I initially booked my car in at Lawtons for a service they mentioned "oh we have an outstanding warranty issue with your car I think"... I just said,  if they were gonna fix it I think they would have done it by now lol. 

I'm really disappointed that the issue potentially still exists on new cars as it's literally meant I'm not even considering another Fiesta... Shame cos I wanted to quench my desire for the model you have Roger 😁

13 hours ago, tef89 said:

I'm really disappointed that the issue potentially still exists on new cars as it's literally meant I'm not even considering another Fiesta... Shame cos I wanted to quench my desire for the model you have Roger 😁

Tempting fate here, but other than the Sync issues I've had no other problems with the car so far, and it is quite a fun thing to drive. With hindsight (wonderful thing) I would go for the basic ST-L. Other than EATC (which I would miss but I guess could live without), any other bits I would want are available as extras and I would avoid issues with sat nav which I don't use anyway. Also I prefer the cloth seats to the part-leather.

I think Sync 3 is the big let down on a Ford. When you look at other cars (which I do, a lot), the instrumentation and drivers info display compares quite well imo. But (functionality aside) the infotainment screen has the look and feel of Windows 3 from the early 90's.

• Like 1

I don't use the sat nav in my car.   I use a Garmin Nuvi 65 sat nav that I can load speed cameras on.   As far as I'm aware, I can't put the speed cameras on the one in my car.

45 minutes ago, Bobr said:

As far as I'm aware, I can't put the speed cameras on the one in my car.

Interesting point, Bob. The Traffic Sign Recognition (TSR) in Sync 3 on the Mk 8 displays the posted speed limit by a combination of spotting the signs by camera and GPS (when it works!). It doesn't display camera locations unfortunately, though I would find that a very helpful addition. I guess there will be a legal reason the in car systems don't do that.

Do you find the Garmin works well at picking up cameras? Fixed and mobile?

9 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Do you find the Garmin works well at picking up cameras? Fixed and mobile?

Absolutely Roger.   It displays the cameras on the screen and gives and audible warning.   I well remember driving west on the A69 on one occasion.   Down a long hill with a bend at the bottom.   Getting towards the bend and the Garmin was going potty.   Braked to 30 mph just in time as, just round the bend, there was a 30 limit and 50 yards on was a speed camera. A real money making setup.   The Garmin paid for itself that day.

• Like 1

For speed cameras you can now use Waze via the mobile apps tab in Sync 3. It does mean you have to use Waze instead of Ford maps though. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Tempting fate here, but other than the Sync issues I've had no other problems with the car so far, and it is quite a fun thing to drive. With hindsight (wonderful thing) I would go for the basic ST-L. Other than EATC (which I would miss but I guess could live without), any other bits I would want are available as extras and I would avoid issues with sat nav which I don't use anyway. Also I prefer the cloth seats to the part-leather.

I think Sync 3 is the big let down on a Ford. When you look at other cars (which I do, a lot), the instrumentation and drivers info display compares quite well imo. But (functionality aside) the infotainment screen has the look and feel of Windows 3 from the early 90's.

I agree about the Sync 3.  It's too basic and slightly unreliable (BT drops etc).  I've only had the instrument TFT fail once which was fixed by a BCM disconnect / recoonect.  I know I go on about the B&o system too lol, but I rarely even put music on now cos it's so picky about the source if I want it to sound good.

4 hours ago, Bobr said:

I don't use the sat nav in my car.   I use a Garmin Nuvi 65 sat nav that I can load speed cameras on.   As far as I'm aware, I can't put the speed cameras on the one in my car.

You can actually set the built in nav on the MK8 Fiesta to alert you to fixed speed cameras.  It has an audible alert of 'Caution !' and it also shows the the location on the map with a red triangle exclamation mark (if I remember correctly).

I have no idea how up to date that information is and I think systems like Waze will always be far superior, but the built in sat-nav is always running in the background so it could be handy.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tef89 said:

You can actually set the built in nav on the MK8 Fiesta to alert you to fixed speed cameras.  It has an audible alert of 'Caution !' and it also shows the the location on the map with a red triangle exclamation mark (if I remember correctly).

I've never actually managed to find that! Which menu is it in?

My main problem is mobile cameras for which you would need something like @Bobr and @DG97 suggest. As you say, useful to have in the background though, if I could only find it!

I have no idea how up to date that information is and I think systems like Waze will always be far superior, but the built in sat-nav is always running in the background so it could be handy.
There is an online update resource whereby you can notify Ford of new speed limits and new / mobile camera locations.
It does work as well.
I recently sent an update to Ford concerning camera location that went from purely a red light one to a speed on green one also, I now get two notifications on that road within 20 metres of each other.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

My main problem is mobile cameras for which you would need something like @Bobr and @DG97 suggest. As you say, useful to have in the background though, if I could only find it!

I'll have a look tomorrow for you m8.  Too cold out there at the minute lol

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Hi Roger.  It's Settings, Navigation, Navigation Preferences, Hazzard spot warning (see picture):

hazzard.jpg

50 minutes ago, tef89 said:

It's Settings, Navigation, Navigation Preferences, Hazzard spot warning (see picture)

Thanks Gary, much appreciated - hope I didn't cause you to go out in the cold!

Lol once I read your post and popped out to the car I realised I did already have it set! Didn't know it covered camera locations though!😀

IMG_20191025_105646_hdr.jpg

3 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Thanks Gary, much appreciated - hope I didn't cause you to go out in the cold!

Lol once I read your post and popped out to the car I realised I did already have it set! Didn't know it covered camera locations though!😀

IMG_20191025_105646_hdr.jpg

So what you're saying is that I braved some mild drizzle, along with the need to put a medium thickness jumper on (well hoodie) and go out there for nothing !?

Nps m8 🤣  Yeah I think they deliberately obfuscated the description, although I've read that it does include 'other' hazards too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, tef89 said:

Yeah I think they deliberately obfuscated the description, although I've read that it does include 'other' hazards too.

Yes, perhaps they don't want to be seen aiding and abetting known offenders!😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Hi, I have followed this chat since purchasing my Fiesta in June 2019 and having taken the car to the Batley Ford dealership 8 times to get software updated only to have GPS ghost busters sign appear every time. I have now been informed the update is due April 2020 and not  Dec 2019 as first promised. Has anyone ever got to the bottom of this issue? 

Edited by Hobnobs
changed purchase date

Hi, Neil. No, no change to mine at the mo - as you will have read in the thread I was getting regular Ghostbusters but not had a recurrence for a year or so - no idea why. Interesting about the update - I'm due a service late Feb and will see if they know anything about it then.

The Mrs has had no issue with her Satnav for a good 6 months now. 

Dealer suggested it may be something to do with WiFi hotspots or something similar being deactivated.

I collect my new Mk8 on Saturday and have a 100% guarantee from the dealer that the Satnav issue has been rectified on the new model and I will certainly not have the issues the Mrs had with her's.

We mentioned software update etc etc to the dealer and they said they had no info on any update other than if we take her car in sometime they will update the maps for her. 2 year service will be around March time, so they may as well do the map update then.

On 11/26/2019 at 2:00 PM, Hobnobs said:

Hi, I have followed this chat since purchasing my Fiesta in June 2019 and having taken the car to the Batley Ford dealership 8 times to get software updated only to have GPS ghost busters sign appear every time. I have now been informed the update is due April 2020 and not  Dec 2019 as first promised. Has anyone ever got to the bottom of this issue? 

Hi Neil.  I bought my 67 plate in October 2018, took it back in Dec 2018 and was advised there was an update being released in Q1 2019 that addressed the GPS issue.  It never materialised.  I've heard nothing since and haven't chased it as my GPS issue miraculously disappeared, also about 5 / 6 months ago (previously it would fail every single trip).  My bet is the mega hot weather reflowed something deep within the magical heart of the MK8 APIM 🙄.  I also got a refund for £500 from the selling dealer so that made me feel a bit better.

I really do hope they release a fix  for what would be, in 2020, a 3 year old fault, but I'd be surprised if they do, especially if the issue is now 'fixed' as Martin has been promised (I got my fingers crossed for you Martin m8).

So that's three of us where the problem has apparently mysteriously disappeared on it's own. Pretty weird👻

3 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

So that's three of us where the problem has apparently mysteriously disappeared on it's own. Pretty weird👻

Pretty spooky m8 yeah.  The one constant ? ... We're all from Yorkshire ! 😁

5 hours ago, tef89 said:

Hi Neil.  I bought my 67 plate in October 2018, took it back in Dec 2018 and was advised there was an update being released in Q1 2019 that addressed the GPS issue.  It never materialised.  I've heard nothing since and haven't chased it as my GPS issue miraculously disappeared, also about 5 / 6 months ago (previously it would fail every single trip).  My bet is the mega hot weather reflowed something deep within the magical heart of the MK8 APIM 🙄.  I also got a refund for £500 from the selling dealer so that made me feel a bit better.

I really do hope they release a fix  for what would be, in 2020, a 3 year old fault, but I'd be surprised if they do, especially if the issue is now 'fixed' as Martin has been promised (I got my fingers crossed for you Martin m8).

Thank you. Any sniff of a satnav issue and the car will go back for a full refund and compensation again, simple as that, the dealer was told this. That is when he guaranteed I would not have the issues the Mrs had.

Will have a good tinker when I get it tomorrow, of that I am sure.

• Like 1

Ok, won't go into too much detail on this thread but collected Car earlier.

Satnav seems fine on the way home. Car does have 18 inch wheels which look quite nice, it does have it's own internet connection, it does come with internal red trim on seats and odd bits around the dash.

The internet connection OR wifi connection will update the Sync, maps blah blah blah automatically i have been told.

Ford connect is useful, first time i have used this via my phone.

One other thing that i am not sure on yet, is the screen has lots more functions than the Mrs's. The dealer has told her to take hers in for an hour and they will update everything for her.

Anyway, enough rambling.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club