Do Not Sell My Personal Information

ST170 buying advice

2003FocusLX
聽Share

Hi everyone. You might recognise me as the company-car-driver聽who bought a 1.6 LX for 拢250 having never owned a car, got very excited, then failed its MOT and scrapped it. 馃槥

However, the experience was enough to make me decide that a Focus is the car I want. And I'm considering getting an ST170. I hope this聽"should I buy" kind of post is OK here... You lot were really pleasant and helpful before, so I'd appreciate your advice. (Going on the flattery-will-get-you-anywhere theory...)

Going rate seems to be about 拢1300-1600, mileage about 100-140k. A fair few of them on Autotrader. But someone has warned me that it will be a money pit. Is this something to be concerned about? I don't mind risk as a concept, but I don't want to do something stupid.

Also, does anyone know the effect of years on performance? Will a 15 year old ST170 still have the punch that it did in 2003, or will it drive more like a new 1.8?

This is to be my main / only car, and also a semi-van for work (I don't move anything big, just stepladders and lots of small kit) - the one I bought before was PERFECT in size and shape - is the ST170聽the same inside? I don't think I'll do more than 5-7k a year, probably.

If the ST170 is a mistake, I'd welcome any other advice, for a Focus with a bit of oomph that I can pick up for a couple of grand.

Lots of questions here, but I'm sure some of you revel in this kind of query, so any advice you wish to impart would be very welcome.

I think this website may be helpful. Could look at other alternatives like the fiesta ST or mondeo ST petrol or diesel but have to look at if its the right size car for your kit. If you look for one make sure it has full service history and serviced properly each year.聽

http://www.fordst170.co.uk/known.php

From what I've read on here over the years (or to be precise, what I've NOT read on here), the ST170 seems to be a pretty solid car.聽 Make sure the gearbox shifts properly in all gears, apparently the Getrag gearbox isn't quiet as strong as you might think so someone smashing the s**t out of it for a few years might end up causing you problems.聽 Other than that, watch out for the rust聽(all Mk1 Focus) and I'd personally like to see a bit of recent service history i.e. last 3 years, to suggest that at least the oil has been changed regularly.

On 6/23/2018 at 8:08 PM, 1979Damian said:

From what I've read on here over the years (or to be precise, what I've NOT read on here), the ST170 seems to be a pretty solid car.聽 Make sure the gearbox shifts properly in all gears, apparently the Getrag gearbox isn't quiet as strong as you might think so someone smashing the s**t out of it for a few years might end up causing you problems.聽 Other than that, watch out for the rust聽(all Mk1 Focus) and I'd personally like to see a bit of recent service history i.e. last 3 years, to suggest that at least the oil has been changed regularly.

Thanks Damian. I have been coming to that conclusion myself, but wanted a bit of reassurance from those who know. Like you say, it's the LACK of information which is reassuring!

Normally I would say an owners club is a terribly biased view, but people on here don't seem to be afraid of bashing Fords if they deserve it. I'm sure this place would be filled with warnings if it was a bad idea. Of course I've found lots of posts about nightmare cars, but pick any make and model that's 15 years old and you're bound to get some of that!

I would just say

make sure you have checked out insurance cost

make sure you have checked out road tax cost

make sure you have checked out mpg

make sure you have though about how much more attractive it would be to thieves,joy riders, vandals.

I would quite like to have one but due to mileage I do I need good mpg

• Like 1

Hi.

If you do need any help with insurance at all then please feel free to drop me a line.

Regards,

Dan.

Hi everyone. I decided not to take the risk, so I've finally bought a car - a boring old 1.8 Zetec from 2010. Not as fun as the 170, but its a hell of a lot more fun than the Fiat 500 go kart I've been driving for 6 months, so I'm excited to get it! Picking it up later today.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club