Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

EcoBoost engine news....A danger to the public.

jace1969

After getting the paper this morning The Sun it says Ecoboost engine puts the public at risk,even fire in some cases and covers a lot from 2013.

I have not heard of any catching fire but i know they have a few problems but to make news it must be worse than i thought,have read a few issues on here.

That will knock the sales down,i have added the link below.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/uknews/6624292/ford-1billion-legal-bill/

It's hardly news, the 1.0EB has been blowing coolant pipes and cooking engines for years! :laugh: 

I thought the fire risk was the 1.6EB but that was recalled as well.

5 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

It's hardly news, the 1.0EB has been blowing coolant pipes and cooking engines for years! :laugh: 

I thought the fire risk was the 1.6EB but that was recalled as well.

I heard of the pipes failing but not the fire this is why i added this link.

Never thought it was a big problem and yes only the sun could print this but we will see if it popup anywhere else.

Though only Vauxhall Zafira has the all year bunfire night.

Lots of cars have a fire risk.  It's a huge tinder box of flammable materials and heat sources.  If you look at the recall list for the Mk2 Focus alone, there are about 10 'risk of fire' recalls lol.  I haven't checked the Mk3 yet...might do that now.

I'm sure Ian or Wilco will correct me if I'm wrong, but the fire risk with these comes if the engine seizes and cracks the block, allowing oil to hit the hot exhaust and catch fire.

4 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Lots of cars have a fire risk.  It's a huge tinder box of flammable materials and heat sources.  If you look at the recall list for the Mk2 Focus alone, there are about 10 'risk of fire' recalls lol.  I haven't checked the Mk3 yet...might do that now.

I'm sure Ian or Wilco will correct me if I'm wrong, but the fire risk with these comes if the engine seizes and cracks the block, allowing oil to hit the hot exhaust and catch fire.

Yes mate thats true they are all fire risk,all cars are just a box waiting to have problems whatever the make.

Just never heard anything of it anywhere on the ford range,its the worse paper to put it in really being the reputation this paper has.

Lol I think that will put me off thinking about a fiesta 1 litre ecoboost. Worst of all it says the engines seize at low mileage. Yeah I've heard about vauxhall zafiras especially with climate control catching fire. The zafira to me is the best looking affordable 7 seater family car. 

Lol off topic but if you go all the way down that page there was another article about dua lipa. Something must snap in these celebrities minds. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, zain611 said:

Lol I think that will put me off thinking about a fiesta 1 litre ecoboost. Worst of all it says the engines seize at low mileage. Yeah I've heard about vauxhall zafiras especially with climate control catching fire. The zafira to me is the best looking affordable 7 seater family car. 

Lol off topic but if you go all the way down that page there was another article about dua lipa. Something must snap in these celebrities minds. 

I was offered one 12 months ago a 125 eco for my 1.6  and some more money but turned it down as nothing wrong with mine and the stupid low miles i do.

Same chap handed it in who had mine before as he has all the toys on it and only keeps them 3 years and he looks after them A1 like when he had mine.

Not saying i would not have one but as you said and a hell of a lot of people it will make them think twice,bad press is never good for anything.

• Like 1

Don't believe all you read. As for catching fire, it's the 1.6 ecoboost that can only do this if there's coolant loss and engine is kept being driven, this distorts the cylinder head allowing oil to escape over the exhaust manifold. This was limited to a certain age range. 

The zafira and Corsa both had a tendency to catch fire.and BMW recently reported various models

And the vast majority of the less than 1percent of 1.0 ecoboost engines made suffered engine failure and they were mainly focus with the plastic degas hose from 2011-2013/14.if the degas hose was replaced when the recall came out which if you took your ford to dealer for servicing then it was replaced at the same time, the issue was fixed before becoming a problem. 

My 1.0 ecoboost focus was one of the affect ones but I had recall done asap and had no issues since and on 64k with remap as well .

Perhaps I should panic and sell mine quickly now I read the sun article!! . Lol

• Like 1

No doubt now that one crappy newspaper has reported it they all will. I see why Trump likes to yarp on about fake news.

Yes it most likely go round all now and its the worse paper to be in but the thing is its in and thousands will read it.

I agree that 99% of it is fake news but if this is the case and it don't happen or hasnt happened sure ford can get onto the paper.

Aint every car a fire risk in some way.

We will see what pops up next but don't bother me in one bit.

Lol @iantt I first didn't recognise you as you changed your profile picture again 😂. I'd agree what you said. It's like seeing bad reviews from owners of a car. You can't think that you'd get the same experience as them. With my previous car for example I saw one owner review saying he had to do a lot of work on it as he had a lot of problems with it. When I had the car I had to change the cat, clutch, battery and radiator. Not too bad in 2 years ownership. With the fiesta I fixed the injectors, new battery and brake hoses.