Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Loud Noise (Front Passenger Side) Please HELP 馃槩

Lawry
聽Share

Hi all,聽

My front passenger side has been making a horrific noise for months, it happens when I hit an uneven road surface, speed bumps, and going around a roundabout. The sound is like a crucnching/banging noise which is extremely loud. It almosts sounds as if something is going to fall off the car!! I鈥檝e had this checked by a mechanic, coil springs and suspension all fine. He thought maybe it was the front left axle, had this changed on my car, still the same problem. Can anyone please help me, I am at my wits end!! Thank you聽

Something in the glovebox? :wink:聽 Also check it's not the seat belt knocking the B pillar or something daft like that.

Are you able to do any investigation yourself?聽 Jacking up the wheel and having a look around is going to be better than anything we can suggest I'm afraid., especially as a garage have been unable to find the issue.聽 I would check that everything on that side of the engine bay is all secure, battery , gearbox mount etc.聽 Then get that wheel up and see if your arch liner and bumper is secure, they can make a surprising amount of noise if they're loose.聽 Then lastly an MOT style check of suspension joints with a lever or pry bar until you find the one with a bit of play.聽 Also check the top mounts at the top of the shock turn smoothly and quietly.聽 At very worst case it could be a gearbox/diff issue.

Glovebox is completely empty, everything has been already checked under the car, all right and secure, no play in any joints etc. When someone is travelling on the passenger side they said no matter what speed I am doing, it鈥檚 although there is force tapping underneath their feet, however, everything is secure 馃槥聽could it Be a wishbone? I鈥檝e tried everything else聽

Exhaust? Banging on floor pan?

3 hours ago, Lawry said:

Glovebox is completely empty, everything has been already checked under the car, all right and secure, no play in any joints etc. When someone is travelling on the passenger side they said no matter what speed I am doing, it鈥檚 although there is force tapping underneath their feet, however, everything is secure 馃槥聽could it Be a wishbone? I鈥檝e tried everything else聽

The wishbone is part of the suspension so would think the garage checked it but yeah that's one of the things I'd be checking, the balljoint on them can make awful knocking noises when they fail.

Does it seem to be linked to a constant road speed, so is it a faster noise at 30 than at 20 for example?聽 Or is it more linked to the road surface, so happens more on a rough surface than a smooth one?

Hi,

no it鈥檚 linked purely to road surface/ turns and speed bumps. Happens no matter what speed I鈥檓 doing. It just sounds so terrible it鈥檚 frightening me. I鈥檒l have the wish bone changed and hopefully it will be resolved!! 馃馃徑

8 minutes ago, Lawry said:

Hi,

no it鈥檚 linked purely to road surface/ turns and speed bumps. Happens no matter what speed I鈥檓 doing. It just sounds so terrible it鈥檚 frightening me. I鈥檒l have the wish bone changed and hopefully it will be resolved!! 馃馃徑

Don't just randomly change the wishbone, get a lever in around the ball joint and each bush to see if there's play in any of them.

Shock absorber? It may be OK when checked as per MOT, but on the road it is under load.聽The noise only happens when hitting speed bumps, uneven road surface and roundabouts. So when driving in a straight and turning right. turning right will put the most load on that corner.聽Is the noise there when turning sharp left?聽

Hi, no noise when I turn left, only right. It almost sounds as if something is lose聽

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club