Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Anyone recommend a dash cam for a 2018 Focus

Paul Loseby

I'm picking the car up next week and wondered if anyone could suggest a dash cam.  I understand that some can interfere with the 'beams' searching for obstructions etc.

Many  thanks 

Paul

I have an Anker Roav C1 pro in my car and it's great.

It's a wedge shape which sits nicely behind my driver's sun visor (which I generally leave open) and supports recording up to 1440p @ 30fps and 1080 @ 60fps amongst others. 

You can also connect your phone via WiFi to view and download videos.

Not sure on quality compared to the usual next base or blackvue cams, bit this was about half the price and I have no real complaints.

Any thanks Phil - I will look into that make.  I hadn't heard of them for Dash Cams but they do good computer bits.

Regards

Paul

Just been looking at the reviews and it does seem impressive

Edited by Paul Loseby
having seen reviews

The thing I liked most about it was the wedge shape, meaning it was fairly discreet on the windscreen.  There are a couple of other makes that are that shape, but this is the one I plumped for in the end.

Yes, though you'd need a kit to do it. To be fair you can hardwire any camera this way.

If it takes 12v, simply use a fuse tap and a grounding point. If 5v, use a hardwire kit along with the fuse tap.

Can't see your profile as I'm on mobile, but there's suitable fuses in the passenger footwell in the focus. Can't remember of the top of my head, but I think F73 is an always live. If you get a hardwire kit with battery monitoring, it will keep the camera running until the battery voltage drops to an unsafe level. Great for parking mode!

Otherwise, I think most folk tap into switched live fuse (possibly F85?) For the heated steering wheel.

I use a viofo dash cam. Not too sure on the exact model as my dad bought it but its good. Picture quality is good which is what you want if your trying to get a reg off a car. Make sure you place it somewhere where the wipers will clear the windscreen as you can see in the picture I accidentally put it where the wipers don't clear the water. Fixed now but also aswell get some extra sticky pads. 

DSC_0079.JPG

I have a nextbase 412gw hard wired in my focus, not had any problems with it in the last 6 months of owning it, picture quality is excellent when watching footage back through my laptop.

13 minutes ago, Jayr1103 said:

I have a nextbase 412gw hard wired in my focus, not had any problems with it in the last 6 months of owning it, picture quality is excellent when watching footage back through my laptop.

Hi JayR,

May I ask which Fuse on the board did you wire you dash-cam into?  As ive got the NextBase kit with the plug in fuse thing, but havent a clue where to wire it.

Thanks

1 minute ago, SgtAWilson said:

Hi JayR,

May I ask which Fuse on the board did you wire you dash-cam into?  As ive got the NextBase kit with the plug in fuse thing, but havent a clue where to wire it.

Thanks

I will see if i can get a picture and post for you.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I find myself in the same position - cheers for the photo Jay, very helpful.

I'm struggling to find where to earth it to - I don't have a multimeter and am electrically ignorant. Could you post a piccie of where you earthed yours, please?

Many thanks!

On 7/9/2018 at 5:53 PM, Zen said:

I find myself in the same position - cheers for the photo Jay, very helpful.

I'm struggling to find where to earth it to - I don't have a multimeter and am electrically ignorant. Could you post a piccie of where you earthed yours, please?

Many thanks!

I just connected it to this bolt in the top of the picture. hope this helps

Jamie.

IMG_3678.JPG

• Like 3