Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jammed Seat Belt

TazLadd

Hey guys,

Have had my MK7 Ford Fiesta for a couple months now, it is my first car and a month after buying it I noticed the seat belt had a problem. This is the drivers seat belt so it is really a big pain in the ***** for me!

I thought the problem was a one off but it began to happen regularly, literally taking me sometimes minutes to put on my own damn seat belt! I just decided to live with it for months now but I am really fed up now with it that I want to fix it.

How will I go about fixing this problem?

I appreciate any advice given, thank you

TazLadd 

I assume you mean it does not unroll the belt when you pull on it. years ago I had one a bit like that. I took the seatbelt mechanism apart and lubricated it and it was fine after that.

these days it is not quite so easy as the seat belt mechanism (where the belt rolls up) is more hidden.   Even when you get to it and unbolt it from the car I do not know if they can still be dismantled or if they are now more of a sealed unit. and even if they can be dismantled, most people will say don't do it in case you don't put it back together correctly which might make it dangerous (eg. not lock securely if in a crash).  So then it's a new selt belt needed.

2 hours ago, isetta said:

I assume you mean it does not unroll the belt when you pull on it. years ago I had one a bit like that. I took the seatbelt mechanism apart and lubricated it and it was fine after that.

these days it is not quite so easy as the seat belt mechanism (where the belt rolls up) is more hidden.   Even when you get to it and unbolt it from the car I do not know if they can still be dismantled or if they are now more of a sealed unit. and even if they can be dismantled, most people will say don't do it in case you don't put it back together correctly which might make it dangerous (eg. not lock securely if in a crash).  So then it's a new selt belt needed.

That's quite crap news not going to lie...

How much do you reckon this will be?

Had this exact problem when I bought my Fiesta. As my car was still under warranty I wanted it changed. At first the garage could not fault it as it was intermittent. I pressed for some action and eventually they admitted it was a common fault and duly replace the complete belt assy. No problem since. So I would suggest a replacement is in order.

• 2 years later...

Had this a couple of years ago in an Astra, I found the answer on a VX site. It worked HONEST!

Pull the belt out gently to the full extent when its playing ball. Spray A LOT of pledge (or similar, other brands are available) furniture polish to both sides of the belt. Start as close to the trim as you can get.

Feed the belt back in slowly, but also work it back and too a few times, spray again, and extend your way back along the belt.

If you prefer silicone spray also works but I have found furniture polish better for some reason.

You may have to do it again but it lasts for over a year approx, and as soon as it starts to stick you spray it again so its much easier to live with.

Hope this helps.

• 1 month later...
On 7/16/2020 at 3:09 AM, MattFish said:

Mine is exactly the same. Much worse when it’s hot or warm weather

Mine is also the same in hot weather. What did you do Matt, clean or replace?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club