Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

DLR lights, helpful or a hazard?

Titanium guy

As an HGV driver I spend a lot of time on the road.

I've been noticing recently the amount of vehicle drivers (not just cars) that are forgetting to put their main lights on when its getting dark or its  bad weather. I believe this is because they haven't realised or remembered to switch them on because they see the dash lights on. One of the main problems with this is that you have front lights on and no back lights on, so your harder to see from behind.

I personally think DLR lights are more of a hazard than a help. Until drivers start to remember that just because the dash lights are on, doesn't mean your main lights are.

Has anyone else noticed this, or is it just me nit picking?

Cheers and drive safe.

Got to agree with you, i hate them, some obscure indicators, and in fog the glare from them cancells out your fog lights.as you say come dusk every seems to rely on them as illumination, oh and you dont get a light on the dash telling you thay are on.

The reason I mention the dash lights was because the trucks that I drive, when you start the truck up the dash lights up as if you've got your main lights on. So the only way to tell if they are on is to get out and check or to see what position the light switch is on. I assumed cars would be the same. 

I have an older car without fancy DLR lights lol.

Looks like we are in a minority on hateing DRL's.

I don't mind DRLs...but they should be used with along with auto lights...can't forget to turn DRLs off and lights on if the car does it for you!  Light sensors are simple and cheap, they could easily be fitted standard.  It's the rain sensor that costs a lot and can be temperamental.

I don't think DRLs actually work though, the idea is to be more visible by standing out...but now every modern car has DRLs they no longer stand out lol.

• Like 1

I've noticed DRL are bright in the dark that they can dazzle people. Thing is I'm sure people would have sense to switch the main lights on. 

Your right zain, most sensible people do switch their main lights on. Unfortunately there are a few who aren't paying attention and forget to switch them on. Just last night I was driving through a city at about 1am and saw 2 cars running with just the DLR lights.

Its only a matter of time before a serious accident is cause by this lack of attention.  Hopefully I'm proved wrong.

• Like 1

On 6/27/2018 at 5:29 PM, pragmatix said:

oh and you dont get a light on the dash telling you thay are on.

I think the OP meant that the dash is lit up as if you have your dipped beam on rather than there being an illuminated icon.

I have been on several forums over the years and this is a topic that seems to be a widespread issue, there is at least one thread per forum. I share your dislike but on the other hand think they are a good safety measure, when they are used in the correct circumstances. 

The problem just goes to highlight that as drivers we are becoming lazy. Auto wipers, auto lights, anti collision autonomous braking and adaptive cruise control, not to mention self parking. All features to enhance safety and driver convenience but also making us more reliant on the car. 

I like DRLs especially the ones that turn off/dim when you indicate. However I don't like the turning lights that come on making it harder, in my opinion, to see the indicator. 

As an HGV driver as well I see it quite often. Why, for instance, don't they have the back lights come on? My previous truck, Renault Lander had the option to have DRL on or off. But basically it was dipped lights up front and normal rear lights on. Current truck, Iveco Trakker, normal DRLs only at front. 

Totally agree with the opinion that cars have too much 'auto' stuff now. 

I can guess why your current truck doesn’t have the rear lights activated, it’s an Iveco 😉

Personally I don't think there's enough auto stuff on cars....people are idiots, the less we leave to them the better! :laugh: On a serious note though, it's a gentle push towards driverless cars I think, so it won't feel quite as bad for us when they start coming in.

DRL's are designed to make the front of the car more visible during daylight, it's to reduce collisions at junctions mainly.  If visibility is bad enough to need rear lights then you should be putting proper lights on. :smile: 

There is no evidence that DRLs are linked to a reduction in accident stats outside of a sub-arctic climate, so unless you live in North Norway they're a waste of time.  You can thank the EU for making it mandatory without evidence that it's is appropriate in England or Southern Spain as it is in Norway.  After all, the EU tried to make leg protectors mandatory on motorbikes, despite a weight of evidence that demonstrated they would simply tear riders in half at the hip...

There's is a small amount of evidence that all but the dimmest daytime lights may actually contribute to certain types of collision.  A person judges the speed of an oncoming objects approach by the rate at which it's outline increases against the background.  Suzuki did a study of collisions involving bikes, and discovered that under certain conditions DRLs can break up the outline of an oncoming vehicle and thus deprive the observers brain of the datum required to make an accurate speed calculation, thus making collisions more likely.

It's easy to spot which manufacturers run theirs inappropriately bright - the ones that are so bright they have do be dimmed to allow indicators to be seen.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Jethro_Tull said:

It's easy to spot which manufacturers run theirs inappropriately bright - the ones that are so bright they have do be dimmed to allow indicators to be seen.

Aren’t most of the manufacturers that use LEDs in their DRLs doing this now? Well the ones that have the DRLs built into the headlamp unit. 

Ive just noticed the thread title.  My bad, didnt realise it was about the Docklands Light Railway.

• Haha 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club