Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Turbo broken? - HELP!

Pebbleheed

My approved used Ford Focus Titanium has broken, after 24 hours of me taking it from the dealership.

All was fine, one previous owner, full Ford service history, 50k miles. I was happy.

24 hours and less than 140 miles later I'm gutted,  my car is dying!

It's a 1.0 litre Ecoboost, 2015 model.

I noticed that second gear felt weak although I couldn't work out why. Then I noticed the turbo wasn't kicking in, in any gear. I was struggling to do 60mph on the motorway and it felt like the breaks were constantly applied. The car was very sluggish.

I pulled over and restarted the car. Same fault. 

I pulled over and waited a while and then it worked ok'ish for a short while, maybe 5 minutes before the turbo vanished again.

I've been back to the Ford dealer tonight and they've asked me to take it in on Monday to have a look at it.

There are no warning lights on the dash at all.

Any ideas anyone?

Nothing really to idea about; bought faulty, they need to correct it. Don't worry 🙂

• Like 2

Yeah, whatever it is it'll be covered so it's not really your problem financially.  Inconvenient though.

Tbf it might just be that the battery is very low from sitting on the forecourt, can cause lots of weird issues.  Did the stop start work ok?

• Like 1

Stop start was all good. Everything was. 

It went through a hundred and something check before they gave it me. I had to wait 24 hours while they got it all ready for me. 

The problem is now I don’t have a lot of faith in it. If it has issues now while under a three month warranty, what happens on month four or five?

I asked for a full refund but they refused. However I get free legal advice through work. Irwin Mitchells have advised that they have no choice and must refund me if I ask. 

I’ll raise it tomorrow with their second level complaints team. 

If the turbo is having problems now it worries me about the engine for the life of the car. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Pebbleheed said:

Stop start was all good. Everything was. 

It went through a hundred and something check before they gave it me. I had to wait 24 hours while they got it all ready for me. 

The problem is now I don’t have a lot of faith in it. If it has issues now while under a three month warranty, what happens on month four or five?

I asked for a full refund but they refused. However I get free legal advice through work. Irwin Mitchells have advised that they have no choice and must refund me if I ask. 

I’ll raise it tomorrow with their second level complaints team. 

If the turbo is having problems now it worries me about the engine for the life of the car. 

Looks like it's a bigger issue than the battery then.

Tbf there are two ways of looking at it - I know it was an older car (6 years) but I found 3 problems on my Mk2 Focus within the first week of ownership, none under warranty either.  But once fixed it didn't cause me any further problems for over 3 years...  On the other hand my Mk3 at the same age is showing new problems every day so you never can tell what will happen.

I'm not an expert in legalities but I was under the impression you had to give them the chance to fix it, and if they couldn't fix it within a certain time then you could refuse the car.  Would hope IM know what they're talking about though.

I'm not sure how deep those approved used checks actually go, do they even test drive the car or is it more of a simple ramp check like an MOT?  This sort of issue presumably wont show up without a proper drive.

37 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Looks like it's a bigger issue than the battery then.

Tbf there are two ways of looking at it - I know it was an older car (6 years) but I found 3 problems on my Mk2 Focus within the first week of ownership, none under warranty either.  But once fixed it didn't cause me any further problems for over 3 years...  On the other hand my Mk3 at the same age is showing new problems every day so you never can tell what will happen.

I'm not an expert in legalities but I was under the impression you had to give them the chance to fix it, and if they couldn't fix it within a certain time then you could refuse the car.  Would hope IM know what they're talking about though.

I'm not sure how deep those approved used checks actually go, do they even test drive the car or is it more of a simple ramp check like an MOT?  This sort of issue presumably wont show up without a proper drive.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/content/advice/how-does-the-consumer-rights-act-protect-you-when-you-buy-a-car

Useful bit of legislation in case anyone else goes to Evans Halfhsaw and has issues in the future. But the gist of it is that if you buy from a dealer and it's not fit for use or not safe you can reject the car within the first 30 days for a full refund.

I've been on to the complaints team this morning. They've taken the complaint on board and they're sorting it all now hopefully.

The way I look at it is that if a car has issues on day 1 then it's not worth bothering with. That's why I went to a higher priced dealer rather than a car yard, to get piece of mind.

• Like 2

On 6/30/2018 at 9:56 AM, TomsFocus said:

I'm not an expert in legalities but I was under the impression you had to give them the chance to fix it, and if they couldn't fix it within a certain time then you could refuse the car. 

+1, it was my understanding also.

As per @Pebbleheed linked autotrader article, it's interesting to see the change in legislation that allows a buyer to return a car for a full refund within 30 days of purchase if it's not fit for purpose (you live and learn).  It certainly seems like it offers buyers a bit more protection in the 1st month of purchase compared to previously.

Also, I'd rather gouge my own eyeballs out with a stick covered in sloppy doggy ***** that use EH. :shit: The reviews for what seems like every one of their "branches" always seem to be in the 1-2 star region.

Until recently you had to let them try and fix it first. But that’s changed as we’ve moved to the new legislation. Now you can reject the car in the first 30 days. After the first 30 days they can offer one repair, failing that you can reject it again. 

People are familiar with the old legislation and dealers are taking advantage of this and telling people they can’t reject the car. Even though I knew I could I doubted myself when they all told me ‘no’ until I spoke with my Solicitor. 

And yeah, I won’t ever shop with Evans Halshaw again. Not just for this reason, but there were a number of failings and let downs from them that put me off them for good. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club