Sign in to follow this  
shiwarrior

215/50/17 tyres onto 205/50/17 wheels ?

reason im asking, might be changing my tyres on my car, and im hoping to get a MK3 focus sometime

so id like to know if i bought some 215/50/17 tyres and used them on my current car, which have 205/50/17 tyres on

would they fit ?

would i need to adjust the speedo or anything?

as if i change car and they are still good i want to reuse them

thanks

I have to admit, this is the first time I've ever seen anybody looking to increase tyre size.

You're aware of how tyre sizes work?  So not only are you increasing the width, but also the size of the sidewall? 

As for fitting, there would be no complications, just minor adjustments in size. The car will probably sit marginally higher, but will slightly fill out a little archgap. Probably not enough to notice though.

J

Depends which Mk3 you're after, it could end up being more hassle than it's worth to swap them.  

I've got a decent set of 16s from my Mk2.5 with nearly new tyres all round in storage and looking to get a(nother :rolleyes: ) Mk3...trouble is after mid 2012 they use different wheel nuts and the later ones from about 2014 use tyre pressure sensors as well.  So it would cost far too much to buy another set of nuts and have pressure sensors fitted to the wheels.  I'll probably end up selling the wheels & tyres to pay for a pair of tyres on the Mk3.

It's also worth noting you can use the 205/50/17 tyres on the Mk3 if it's an early one.  215/50/17s on the Mk2 might rub at full lock, but I haven't tried it.