Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Help pls! Unidentified hole in between spark plugs...

OneSteppeForward

Hey,

We're doing the Mongol Rally in a couple of weeks and have just got hold of a 2002 Ford Fiesta 1.4 to (hopefully) get us 10000 miles to the finish...

While doing a bit of maintenance – changing the oil, and replacing spark plugs – we came across a small hole in the cylinder head, between the 2nd and 3rd spark plugs, that was stuffed with tissue. We've now removed the tissue and can see a small threaded hole but aren't sure what should screw into there, if anything? Would love a bit of help identifying what it is.

A picture is attached.

Side note: The car has also started stuttering and misfiring at low revs since removing the tissue... And there seems to be a bit of oil in the channel where the spark plugs are.

Thanks!

unknown_hole.jpg

I'm thinking cylinder head temp sensor...

EDIT: as for oil, might be worth checking the core plugs/blanking plugs that are between spark plugs 1 and 2 and between spark plug 3 and 4, these may need replacing also

@liamstears that's one of the theories we're working with. Where would you expect this temperature to connect back to the ECU? We've been trying to find anywhere that a missing sensor might plug into, but haven't found anything yet. EDIT: if you have a link to the part you think this might be, that would be really helpful. 

With respect to the oil, its hard to know if the oil is coming through core plugs and hence making this hole oily, or if its coming from the hole itself. Given that there was tissue in it we were thinking the hole is where the oil is coming from. 

Edited by OneSteppeForward

cyl head temp sensor, looks like its snapped off. oil wont be coming from that hole. normally if its oily its the cam cover gasket leaking. you should find a wiring harness with a rubber grommet that fits over the hole in cam cover. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, iantt said:

cyl head temp sensor, looks like its snapped off.

@iantt how can we confirm its snapped off? How deep should we expect to be able to poke through that hole if its just been unscrewed? 

57 minutes ago, iantt said:

you should find a wiring harness with a rubber grommet that fits over the hole in cam cover. 

Don't know a whole lot about what I'm looking at, could you illustrate with a picture? 

which 2002 fiesta is it ? mk5/mk6 were that year? 

will have a google to see what pics i can find

Cant find a lot but hope this helps to give an idea: 048.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, iantt said:

which 2002 fiesta is it ? mk5/mk6 were that year? 

Yes, they were that year. Pretty sure ours is mk5. 

@liamstears interesting! Ours has a rubber plug where your sensor seems to come out - odd that it would come with a perfect plug if there is meant to be a sensor.... Where does the cable connected to the sensor attach on the other end? 

so yours had a rubber plug then, and not just a hole . in that case yours may not have the temp sensor in that location. 

can you clean off the area around the hole in head and take a closer photo 

i take it the  temp gauge and cooling fan works as it should? position of temp sensor changed to under the coil pack, so yours is probably there. 

• 3 years later...

Hi

I have found this hole as well and had a small.amount of coolant in it as i get coolant around the 3rd and 4th plugs as well.

Should something be in this hole as i can see screw threads inside it?

Usually you'd find tissue stuffed into holes only on an engine that's been worked on. I.e. replaced or rebuilt. You don't want stuff falling into holes. If you come across a hole with tissue in it- it means a previous job was unfinished! If it's threaded, then I suspect some models use a sensor, some may just have a plug in it, but I doubt it will be rubber, more a core plug type of fitting. I would double check with a Ford dealer to see what's meant to be in there on your car. If there's no lead or fitting then perhaps the donor for that engine did have one and on fitting, they couldn't find one or the blank and just got on with other jobs and forgot it.  

Form experience of swapping engines in cars this is often how you end up like this.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club