Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Western Europe Map SD card not transferrable?

jayteepics

I've read on here that the map SD cards have a card CID check and so cloning a card doesn't work unless the card CID is also cloned.

My Fiesta's card is version 4.1 so I borrowed a neighbour's Western Europe SD Sat Nav (V7) to see if it would work and show me some locations my version doesn't know about but I get a Data Error trying to read his card.

My question is:- Is there a linked relationship between the card and the satnav unit itself? If I bought the latest maps (V8) from my Ford dealer how would that link (if any) be established?

any card will work in any sat nav as long as its the "v"type card. 

V Type??

Surely his Ford Western Europe V7 card should work in mine then if it works in his....?

8 hours ago, jayteepics said:

V Type??

Surely his Ford Western Europe V7 card should work in mine then if it works in his....?

Yes. It should do. I've gone through from V3 ,v4,V6 and now v7 without any problems, all used ones.

What car does your neighbour have?

17 reg Fiesta Titanium

I assume that isn't the new model?

I don't have any experience of a Fiesta's sat nav, but on my Mondeo some of the cards contain some sort of system update too, so maybe yours will require the next release that was made (2015?) rather than jumping straight to 2017or even 2018 maps.

• 2 weeks later...

OUTCOME

Strange scenario.

Local dealer said a 2018 map SDcard I could buy from them would work. Given that erroneously I had done a master reset (well I did it on purpose but it resulted in more trouble). I could not pair my iPhone to get emergency assist back up and running.

So I went to the dealers guy stuck the card in and no SDCard error but nothing else happened at all. Guy pairs his Samsung instantly, other guy can't pair his iPhone [i'm saying I read in the manual says a USB cable is required for an iPhone) [with hindsight the manual is wrong you don't need a USB cable to pair or for that matter to play Spotify tracks through bluetooth sync]

Switched to Nav SDCard error just as before

Guy with iPhone said he knew what it was and that I shouldn't laugh. He went off to get some tools and disconnected the positive terminal of battery...

reconnected after a minute or 2 and both iPhones paired immediately. Select NAV and a software update began and when finished I was good to go. The guy just said the original Sync can just get screwed sometimes and rather than mess with it the positive terminal removal usually did the trick - thought this experience would be worth sharing - may help someone in future.

Good result. I've had to disconnect battery a few times on various fords to reboot certain modules that play up.