Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Impressive MK8 1.0 EcoBoost 140 MPG

martinf64

Well driven down to Cornwall from the Worcester in Midlands this weekend gone and even though we were stuck in tailbacks around Bristol, Weston and Bridgewater I must say how impressed I am with the mpg, 53.6mpg and might have been higher if not for the tailbacks. Note this is according to the trip computer which I think reads approx. 1mpg too high judging by tank-to-tank fill-up measurements plus using adaptive cruise control set to 70. The car drives lovely on these smooth winding Cornish roads, extra horsepower works a treat...🤩

when driven sensibly mpg is brilliant I also find the warmer weather helps too. people drive these engines by smashing the throttle and brake constantly then wonder why mpg is so bad.

• Like 2

the title on this says  140 MPG .   I assume it was meant to be BHP

2 hours ago, isetta said:

the title on this says  140 MPG .   I assume it was meant to be BHP

Nope MPG is correct, maybe shouldn't have included 140....could confuse! Mind you 140mpg would definitely be impressive lol.

18 minutes ago, martinf64 said:

Nope MPG is correct, maybe shouldn't have included 140....could confuse! Mind you 140mpg would definitely be impressive lol.

Let's eat Grandma.

Let's eat, Grandma.

I have recently had a long trip to Cornwall also in my mk8, from York, average mpg around 58 with the occasional 60mpg showing on the trip, ( I know it’s not deadly accurate but nice to see) that’s with four people and a boot full of luggage, it’s much better now  with the six speed box, much more refined, mines the 100ps,

what the engine rpm @70 with the 6 speed?

Aren't they meant to do over 60mpg on a long run out? My 1.4 TDCi is currently doing above official MPG figures.

• Like 1

I'm noticing something strange with the mpg on my Mk8 1.0 ecoboost. On a 235 mile trip South to North I am consistently getting 51.4 mpg - yet on the identical trip North to South - same time, same weather, same speeds (no holdups or town driving) I consistently get 56.2 mpg.The only thing I can think of is that I fill up at an Applegreen station in the south and a Jet in the north at each end of the journey and the petrol quality is having this effect. I wonder if Applegreen are using high ethanol (10% or maybe 15% if it is allowed?). If so, surely this is very important for everyone - I'm wondering if the car coud be affected and also a bit annoyed if we are paying the same in duty and VAT on low calorific value fuel. Anyone have any ideas?

It's because the north is up a hill compared to the south

You are joking? Same elevation start and finish - zero effect!

Could it be wind direction?

Don't think it is wind direction as every time it has been dead calm - sunshine all the way and no wind turbines turning en route. I think it has to be a fuel issue - wonder if anyone else has noticed it with Applegreen?  They seem to have taken over a few BP stations lately on the A1.

5 hours ago, Findlay said:

You are joking? Same elevation start and finish - zero effect!

Not as daft as it first seems generally when traveling south to north you will spend more tine climbing than decending, i get this all the time travellng from Perthshire to Lancashire.

But surely it all evens out in the end if start and finish are at the same height? And a 10% effect on mpg is pretty marked. The average figure doesn't change much throughout the trip. It starts low after  filling with Applegreen and steadies and stays at 51.4 after about 20 miles (still in the flat south) with a little variation going up inclines. After filling with Jet it steadies at about 55 after about 20 miles and reaches and stays at 56 soon after.

Depends where in the north you go, if you're journey finished up a hill when it started at sea level you'll lose.

Was meant tongue in cheek but I'm running with this idea now 🙂

Talking about a 2.5 litre difference here between the fuel changes. I get about 10mpg even on a very steep climb - to get this effect you would need to go halfway up Mt Everest! The start and finish points are at the same elevation anyway. I guess I'm serious about this - if we are being sold E10 or even E15 without being told we are paying about 10% more than we should to the taxman.

On 7/3/2018 at 7:25 PM, cjay1 said:

what the engine rpm @70 with the 6 speed?

Around 2600rpm at 70mph in 6th.  My previous Alfa Mito Twinair was over 3000rpm under the same condition...0.9litre 105bhp two cylinder engine but would have given a lower mpg figure compared to the Ecoboost Fiesta.

On 7/4/2018 at 7:10 AM, m1tch said:

Aren't they meant to do over 60mpg on a long run out? My 1.4 TDCi is currently doing above official MPG figures.

Don't believe the manufacturers figures. I might have got a higher figure if it wasn't for the holdups on the M5 at Bristol, Weston and Bridgewater.

On 7/4/2018 at 3:01 PM, Findlay said:

But surely it all evens out in the end if start and finish are at the same height? And a 10% effect on mpg is pretty marked. The average figure doesn't change much throughout the trip. It starts low after  filling with Applegreen and steadies and stays at 51.4 after about 20 miles (still in the flat south) with a little variation going up inclines. After filling with Jet it steadies at about 55 after about 20 miles and reaches and stays at 56 soon after.

Ok ill put it another way yes the climbing and decending as in feet will be the same given the start and finish points, but going north the inclines are longer, so going south the declines are longer

OK - thanks, I get it now. I was thinkng of up and down hill as being "reversible" as it were. Wonder if the same applies to EVs?

• 2 weeks later...

Currently averaging 61.8 mpg on super unleaded trip computer says I should be able to do 560 miles on a full tank. Run normal bp on last fill up and struggles to get to 55mpg. Super worked out £3.60 more expensive and the car is on 900 miles - really impressed so far.

• Like 1

Used to think super would make no difference to the ecoboost and although raw performance is no different. Fuel economy has improved by around 10%. enough to cover the 5ppl additional cost so will probably keep using it.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Stlinesteve1981 said:

Currently averaging 61.8 mpg on super unleaded trip computer says I should be able to do 560 miles on a full tank. Run normal bp on last fill up and struggles to get to 55mpg. Super worked out £3.60 more expensive and the car is on 900 miles - really impressed so far.

Over 60 mpg sounds good...is that urban, motorway or mixture of both...I'm finding the trip computer reads approximately 1 mpg to high.

What brand of super unleaded are you using?

My display is showing 43mpg around town using normal BP (125bhp)

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club