Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Impressive MK8 1.0 EcoBoost 140 MPG

martinf64

I do a 60 mile round trip to work ,25 miles dual carriageway and m25. Sticking religiously to 60 and not rush hour times but really early morning . Using bp at the moment. And using eco mode totally dulls the accelerator but helps for mpg runs 

Edited by Stlinesteve1981

On 7/4/2018 at 2:03 PM, Findlay said:

Don't think it is wind direction as every time it has been dead calm - sunshine all the way and no wind turbines turning en route. I think it has to be a fuel issue - wonder if anyone else has noticed it with Applegreen?  They seem to have taken over a few BP stations lately on the A1.

5mph head or tail will make a difference at motorway speed. The engine consumes by mass flow, but the consumer measures by volume flow. Fuel is permitted to have a +-4% variation in SG and the fuel at the two ends of your trip might come from different refineries/depots.

I have long been a "this fuel is better than that fuel" doubter. Some time ago with a change of car, I thought Asda and BP gave different results. The only reason I could come up with is that the two main forecourts I was using have a slightly different slope so there was a difference in air space when brimmed. Over the longer term the difference smoothed out, as expected. 

With normal petrol but using speed limit I’m getting almost 600 miles to a full tank 

1A3931B3-C4A4-4406-AAF5-F112FEF9C7A4.jpeg

On 7/24/2018 at 11:59 AM, Stlinesteve1981 said:

With normal petrol but using speed limit I’m getting almost 600 miles to a full tank 

Is this the 140? Are you using cruise control? What's your driving style? What's the max speed you drive? Eco mode?

On 7/24/2018 at 11:59 AM, Stlinesteve1981 said:

Can you report back after you've done, say 300 miles on that tank to tell us what the mpg is.

Only asking because I switched to Super Unleaded for my previous fill up, did a 70 mile evening trip, mixed roads, mainly 40-60mph and after that trip, mine reported as 54.7 mpg (Fiesta Vignale 140bhp)

When I filled up again after about 2 weeks (normal day to day driving, work, low miles, a few 20-30 mile trips, using active cruise control a lot, and no eco mode) my mpg was back 'down' to around 42.5mpg (working out by litres dispensed/trip meter mileage) and car said 43.2 mpg, this was after around 355 miles.

That is quite impressive for a higher BHP engine and is actually about the same as I got in a (finished today) drive through parts of Western Germany. For the 600KM ride there and back it averaged 5.3l per 100KM or 53.3MPG. Certainly among the better results I have had but not quite as promised. When doing my usual commute the efficiency dropped by about 20% on average compared to that.

I find that if you fill up and reset the trip data, it can very easily report an unrealistically high mpg for the first 200 miles, it then nose-dives to unrealistically low reported mpg for about 100miles, before suddenly flipping back to a realistic midpoint which is usually a couple of mpg above the real value I am calculating at fill-up.

In eco mode on long steady trips it will often report up to 60mpg at the start, but I've never got above a calculated 52mpg. Typically it's about 48mpg in eco.

I have started using the speed limiter now and set to 60 on dual carriage way and set to 30 in town , always use eco mode and not driving in rush hour . I do 64 miles a day and barely any town driving. I have done 1700 miles and I’m on my 4th tank. I reset figures every fill up and when u work out miles travelled to what’s left it’s always over 500 miles. 

I've noticed a strange thing happen with the MPG on my ST-Line X 140. According to the trip I get around 53 MPG from full to about half tank, then all of a sudden it will drop to low 40's until the tank reaches about 1/4 full, then it returns to around 53.

This repeats with every tank full, doing the same journey every day. 

2 hours ago, Jeffas said:

I've noticed a strange thing happen with the MPG on my ST-Line X 140. According to the trip I get around 53 MPG from full to about half tank, then all of a sudden it will drop to low 40's until the tank reaches about 1/4 full, then it returns to around 53.

This repeats with every tank full, doing the same journey every day. 

See my post above. Mine does it regular as clockwork from a trip reset - at 235 miles driven the mpg drops off a cliff, then at 280 miles driven instantly goes back up about 8mpg.

• 3 months later...

Interesting to see it's not just me - I was really disappointed with MPG dropping to mid 30's but time the time I get to the refuel prompt it's sorted itself out

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club