Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The perennial favourite, blowing hot air!!

Superspotter

Hello people! OK so I have done a lot of reading up on this common fault of the Streetka blowing hot air constantly but I have not come across my particular foible. So, recently purchased after the car has stood for two years. Full service etc etc including a new HCV as the old/original disintegrated to dust upon touching. All was fine on the cool air front for a day or so, then after turning off the engine and restarting after a minute or so, constant hot air. I swore at this point. Attacked the HCV again to find it full of crud and assumed after being stood for so long, maybe I had disturbed the crap that may have been in the coolant system so I re-replaced the HCV! This time, fine for one trip yesterday but as soon as started the car after a few minutes off, back to constant hot air, I swore louder this time......

This morning I stripped the car back again and tested the wiring plug and it worked as expected using a test bulb meter: cold setting constant light, hot setting no light and in between, a pulsing light. I then plugged the wiring back into the HCV with the HCV removed, switched the ignition on and could see the solenoid doing its job. So, this is where I am at. I can think of no reason why it is blowing hot air? At the moment, now I have rebuilt everything, it is blowing cold but I am expecting when I use it this afternoon, I will experience the same problem. Any ideas?? One further note, the AC does not work, the button lights up but thats it. I had it on a regas machine last week but in the purge/vacuum phase it indicated a leak and as the car is not worth the expenditure on that, I have decided to leave it. Also, I can smell coolant from the vents, there are no visible leaks or drop in the expansion tank level. So I am flummoxed......

regards clive.

7 hours ago, Superspotter said:

Hello people! OK so I have done a lot of reading up on this common fault of the Streetka blowing hot air constantly but I have not come across my particular foible. So, recently purchased after the car has stood for two years. Full service etc etc including a new HCV as the old/original disintegrated to dust upon touching. All was fine on the cool air front for a day or so, then after turning off the engine and restarting after a minute or so, constant hot air. I swore at this point. Attacked the HCV again to find it full of crud and assumed after being stood for so long, maybe I had disturbed the crap that may have been in the coolant system so I re-replaced the HCV! This time, fine for one trip yesterday but as soon as started the car after a few minutes off, back to constant hot air, I swore louder this time......

This morning I stripped the car back again and tested the wiring plug and it worked as expected using a test bulb meter: cold setting constant light, hot setting no light and in between, a pulsing light. I then plugged the wiring back into the HCV with the HCV removed, switched the ignition on and could see the solenoid doing its job. So, this is where I am at. I can think of no reason why it is blowing hot air? At the moment, now I have rebuilt everything, it is blowing cold but I am expecting when I use it this afternoon, I will experience the same problem. Any ideas?? One further note, the AC does not work, the button lights up but thats it. I had it on a regas machine last week but in the purge/vacuum phase it indicated a leak and as the car is not worth the expenditure on that, I have decided to leave it. Also, I can smell coolant from the vents, there are no visible leaks or drop in the expansion tank level. So I am flummoxed......

regards clive.

Hi Clive Sounds like the water coolant housing is waped and stuck open.  New housing is available as generic  or ford QUICKO about £50. For fitting remove air filter housing and associated rubber hoses. I've had this problem solving by replacing this part. Takes about an hour if you doing it yourself.   New coolant needed obviously as it will drain out when fitted 

Regards Andrew 

Screenshot_20180703-160044.png

Thanks for the reply Andrew but I am struggling to link the two.However, I am willing to try anything now!