Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Buying a 2005 2.0tdci what to look for?

Howarthhd

Hi everyone, I'm considering swapping my focus for the mondeo in question, it's done 98k and had clutch and dmf replaced to a smf, what are common things to look at when viewing the car? Little mechanical experience, MOT is only until the end of next month so it's a worry..

Not much as far as I'm aware, just usual old car stuff such as bushes/discs/pads etc.  A SMF puts extra strain on the gearbox so make sure you check it goes smoothly into ALL gears, if not just walk away, oh and the fuel injection system on the MK3 is generally considered to wear out quicker than the system in a MK2 Focus.

Overall I'd say they're a solid car as long as you check the sensible stuff.

Solid cars normally but i would be wary of the SMF and the fact that its had the DPF changed suggest to me that its only done short journeys, ive had 4 mondeos all done over 175 k on original clutches and DPF's, if the price is right i.e less than a grand it may be worth buying.

watch out for rust on the door bottoms on some cars this causes the door skin to start coming away from the frame. Suspension bushes need checking out too

Just now, pragmatix said:

Solid cars normally but i would be wary of the SMF and the fact that its had the DPF changed suggest to me that its only done short journeys, ive had 4 mondeos all done over 175 k on original clutches and DPF's, if the price is right i.e less than a grand it may be worth buying.

I don't think it has had the DPF replaced mate, it's not mentioned in the post and I didn't think MK3 Mondys has them?  I fully agree with the SMF comment though, I wouldn't expect Ford to add so an expensive part (DMF) to the cost of materials if they didn't think it was really needed.

1 minute ago, 1979Damian said:

I don't think it has had the DPF replaced mate, it's not mentioned in the post and I didn't think MK3 Mondys has them?  I fully agree with the SMF comment though, I wouldn't expect Ford to add so an expensive part (DMF) to the cost of materials if they didn't think it was really needed.

I read that wrong  but, yes the mk3 did have a dpf well the later ones certainly did..

Just now, pragmatix said:

I read that wrong  but, yes the mk3 did have a dpf well the later ones certainly did..

I've made the same mistake 2-3 times on here so you're not alone! :blush:

• Like 1

I'm fairly sure there won't be a DPF on this car.  Injectors are the main issue with these tbh, so many for sale spares & repair with injector faults!  

11 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

I'm fairly sure there won't be a DPF on this car.  Injectors are the main issue with these tbh, so many for sale spares & repair with injector faults!  

You are correct, this car will have a catalytic converter, my mk 3 was a 2007 they did have a DPF.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club