Sign in to follow this  
JoBoy99

ABS and Revs.. Again

Recommended Posts

So a couple things to ask. 

Last week had to stop rather rapidly and instead of the usual juddering of the brakes from the ABS my wheels locked and I had a little bit of a slide along the road, luckily I didn't hit anything or anyone. 

To me this shouldn't be happening, do you think its worth popping into Ford as it has over 2 years of warranty left on it.

also, I have mentioned on here before that when I pull away in first when I press down the clutch the whole way, the revs keep going up to 4 sometimes 5k revs. this isn't me pressing the accelerator either.

Should I be concerned as its a bit weird to be honest.

Cheers!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would be straight on the phone to them getting it looked at

 

ABS shouldn't let you skid on dry and clear roads and the car revving itself sounds like an accident waiting to happen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The revs are meant to rise a bit with the clutch down in first to stop you stalling.  But if you're not exaggerating with 4k rpm then there's a fault that needs fixed, sounds like it may need a PCM update.

How fast were you going with the skid?  ABS doesn't work at very low speed, under about 10mph.  I assume the ABS light isn't on the dash?  Might be worth checking the ABS fuse hasn't blown.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

The revs are meant to rise a bit with the clutch down in first to stop you stalling.  But if you're not exaggerating with 4k rpm then there's a fault that needs fixed, sounds like it may need a PCM update.

How fast were you going with the skid?  ABS doesn't work at very low speed, under about 10mph.  I assume the ABS light isn't on the dash?  Might be worth checking the ABS fuse hasn't blown.

When I pull away in first, usually get to around 2,500-3,000 revs then press the clutch and then it just keeps going up to 4,000 then sometimes to 5,000. It's very strange.

It was at low speed as i was on the motorway and the traffic was stop start and I pulled away then had to slam on the brakes as the person in front decided to stop rather quickly. So it would have been at a low speed but I reckon I was definitely over 10mph. Will look at the fuse and make sure it is fine

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, JoBoy99 said:

When I pull away in first, usually get to around 2,500-3,000 revs then press the clutch and then it just keeps going up to 4,000 then sometimes to 5,000. It's very strange.

It was at low speed as i was on the motorway and the traffic was stop start and I pulled away then had to slam on the brakes as the person in front decided to stop rather quickly. So it would have been at a low speed but I reckon I was definitely over 10mph. Will look at the fuse and make sure it is fine

I have checked the fuse, along with pretty much all of them just to be sure and its fine

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah, I misunderstood earlier, you mean when you're moving in first, you put the clutch down to change to second but the revs rise instead of fall between the gears?  Definitely an issue there, let the dealer check it, even take them for a drive yourself maybe.

Not sure what to say about the ABS really, if there was any fault it should bring the dash light on.  You can still have the fault codes checked just in case there is one.

As you're still under warranty it really should go back to the dealer and be sorted for free. :smile:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Ah, I misunderstood earlier, you mean when you're moving in first, you put the clutch down to change to second but the revs rise instead of fall between the gears?  Definitely an issue there, let the dealer check it, even take them for a drive yourself maybe.

Not sure what to say about the ABS really, if there was any fault it should bring the dash light on.  You can still have the fault codes checked just in case there is one.

As you're still under warranty it really should go back to the dealer and be sorted for free. :smile:

 

Exactly. Its a strange one as I have never heard of a car that revs itself before, but its worrying as I don't want it to happen whilst I'm actually driving and cause and accident

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, JoBoy99 said:

Exactly. Its a strange one as I have never heard of a car that revs itself before, but its worrying as I don't want it to happen whilst I'm actually driving and cause and accident

It's not that unusual as the ECU controls the idle these days, it can raise it for a quick warm up (better for emissions) or to avoid stalling which could cause an accident and potentially damage the engine/cat, but the mapping isn't always done that well (particularly on Fords for some reason).  It's not likely to be a physical component issue so shouldn't rev itself while you're actually driving.

On the Mk6 Fiesta ST there was a common fault where the revs would bounce from 850rpm to 1850rpm with the clutch in and rolling up to junctions or in slow traffic, very annoying and I tried everything except a PCM update to cure mine but never could!  A lot of Fords, both petrol & diesel, seem to hunt (revs bouncing) at idle, just the way they're mapped I think, but some are worse than others.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Update on the car. Its going in to be checked out on the 27th

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this