Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Key Free and S/S

DNL

15 years of motoring and last night I bought my first ever Ford.

I found a lovely Titanium 1.6 Ecoboost and after driving home and then to work this morning - it's a really lovely car.
Enjoying the gadgets and DAB... engine seems lovely though probably more powerful than I need but no complaints.

Driving home I stopped for petrol: (the key was in my pocket), pressed the Power button, engine off, got out and filled up and thought that as i walked away from the car - this KeyFree system would lock it. I remember reading about a sensor on the door handle - pressed around - nothing.
It remained open. (So I locked it with the fob and it worked)
After a 50 mile drive home on mainly country roads, we got into town and I remember the car had Stop Start. But it didn't seem to be kicking in.
So I pressed the button on the lower dash and "OFF" illuminated orange, pressed it again presuming that was it now ON.
Still no S/S.

Being a bit of a geek - I got home and went straight through the manuals and service book - we use a Transit Custom at work so I was familiar with the buttons, menus and gadgets but the van doesn't have Stop Start or KeyFree entry so this is new territory to me.

The car had been sitting for a bit and perhaps the battery drained - I've driven it 50 miles home last night and it started again fine this morning for going to work.
I drove into work this morning with no radio, AC etc on hoping it would give the battery a decent chance.
I'm hoping it's a battery issue and nothing extreme but thought I'd ask out.

Any help, gratefully received!
Cheers

It's definitely a battery issue. If it's on its original battery it might be in need of replacement. Or it might have a standard battery and not EFB which would also result in the S/S system not working. If there was something wrong with the system, the S/S light on the dashboard would illuminate in orange/amber. As a first step you can try resetting the Battery Monitoring System (BMS) using this procedure:

1. Switch on ignition (press the Start button without pressing the clutch)

2. Press the rear fog lights button 5 times

3. Press the hazards button 3 times

4. Wait 5-10sec and the battery symbol in the dashboard will flash 3 times. That's it.

P.S. There is a recall for the 1.6 EcoBoost. Make sure it has been performed on your car as it concerns the engine cooling system.

• Like 2

The start stop Is quite fussy. If it's too hot or cold it won't work, if the battery is low or too many volts being drawn it won't work and on some models having the ac on will stop it working as well. With the current weather we're having I'd take a guess that it's too warm for it to kick in. Would be worth checking the battery mind, and if it does need changing make sure you get the right one as they are unique to start stop and they ain't cheap.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Brilliant, will have a look at this when I get home.

Noticed the DVLA MOT Check page also has a tab for recalls now, quite handy. And sure enough - there's the recall mentioned, so will also get on top of that.

Thanks for all input.

Yeah, mine isn't working at the minute either and usually does so I wouldn't worry just yet 🙂

if you are new to Ford you might not know of ford etis

https://www.etis.ford.com/vehicleRegSelector.do;jsessionid=Eyg_q6Gdx6r-X_yjEJ70bsmumoLI-38kh5yp_cSG.fcvas1901j

if you don't register it gives only very basic car info.

If you register (free) it gives very very detailed info on every bit of the car spec, where made etc

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DNL said:

Brilliant, will have a look at this when I get home.

Noticed the DVLA MOT Check page also has a tab for recalls now, quite handy. And sure enough - there's the recall mentioned, so will also get on top of that.

Thanks for all input.

Don’t rely on the dvla. They’re often behind with recall information. They can’t even get their own information out in a timely fashion.

My stop start wasn’t working when I picked up my new car the other day. However a 100 mile drive later and it’s worked ever since. It had been stood for a while. If yours is the same it will probably just be because it’s been stood. 

I actually turn stop start off in the hot weather. When the engine stops the Aircon stops until it starts again. I like my car all frosty inside when it’s hot outside. 

Are you sure you have keyless entry and not just keyless start? It's an option on the titanium, not standard.

If you can unlock the car just by grabbing the door handle you have it, otherwise it's just keyless start, you'll have to use the fob buttons to lock and unlock.

Exactly as Alex says, it'll only be keyless start unless keyless entry was selected as an optional extra, you still need to use the fob to lock & unlock the car.  It's much safer than the keyless entry tbh so while it seems a bit weird to start with I prefer it.

As for the stop start, pop the battery cover off and check the 'magic eye', if it's not green the battery needs a good charge (even 50 miles may not do it) before the SS will work or may even need a new battery if it's been sitting for so long.  Battery reset does work but should be done on a charged battery so the SS system learns the battery capacity I think, not on a discharged one.

Slightly off topic,  but I absolutely love keyless start on the focus. It’s one of my favourite titanium features and the start button still makes me smile when starting or stopping the car each time.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Hi! I'm new to the Ford world and just bought a 2019 Fiesta Titanium. Is there any way to tell if it has keyfree entry? Its start/stop is fantastic (I'm in love) but I'm not sure about the keyless entry. I thought that to was standard with stop/start keyless entry on 2015 models and later? 

Thanks!

49 minutes ago, laurenamy said:

Is there any way to tell if it has keyfree entry?

Afaik, keyless entry has not featured on the Mk 8 (late 2017 onwards) Fiesta Titanium, you need to go up to Titanium X to get that as standard. It was available as an extra, if your car had it you would have sensors as described in the Owners Manual, extract below:

KEYLESS ENTRY

Principle of Operation
The system allows you to lock and unlock your vehicle without taking the passive key out of your pocket or purse.
Missing Image
A valid passive key must be within one of the three external detection ranges. These are approximately 5 ft (1.5 m) from the front door handles and the liftgate.
The system could not function if:
  • The passive key remains stationary for about a minute.
  • The vehicle battery has no charge.
  • The passive key battery has no charge.
  • The passive key frequencies are jammed.
  • The passive key is too close to metal objects or electronic devices, for example keys or a cell phone.
If the system does not function, use the remote control or the key blade to lock and unlock your vehicle.
Locking the Doors
Lock sensors are on the top of the exterior front door handles.
Missing Image
Touch a lock sensor once to lock your vehicle and arm the alarm. The direction indicators flash.
Touch a lock sensor twice within three seconds to double lock your vehicle and arm the alarm.The direction indicators flash.Do not touch the unlock sensor on the back of the door handle.
Keep the door handle clean to make sure the system correctly operates.
Note:   Your vehicle does not automatically lock. If you do not touch a lock sensor your vehicle remains unlocked.
 After locking the doors with the lock sensor, there is a brief delay before you can unlock your vehicle. This delay lets you pull the handle to make sure your vehicle is locked. When the delay period is over, you can unlock the doors again, provided the passive key is within the respective detection range.
Unlocking the Doors
Unlock sensors are on the back of the exterior front door handles.
Missing Image
Touch the unlock sensor to unlock your vehicle and disarm the alarm.The direction indicators flash.Do not touch the lock sensor on the top of the door handle.
Keep the door handle clean to make sure the system correctly operates.
After unlocking the doors with the unlock sensor, there is a brief delay before you can lock your vehicle. When the delay period is over, you can lock the doors again, provided the passive key is within the respective detection range.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, laurenamy said:

Hi! I'm new to the Ford world and just bought a 2019 Fiesta Titanium. Is there any way to tell if it has keyfree entry? Its start/stop is fantastic (I'm in love) but I'm not sure about the keyless entry. I thought that to was standard with stop/start keyless entry on 2015 models and later? 

Thanks!

The other way to tell is to look in the settings, there should be an option to disable keyless entry if the car has it. I can't remember what setting it is under but you might want to play around with the settings anyway to see if there is anything that you want to enable or disable. 

3 hours ago, laurenamy said:

Its start/stop is fantastic (I'm in love)

Enjoy it while it lasts, give it a couple of weeks and it will gradually stop working. When it does eventually stop working there is little you can do unless you want to put your battery on charge every day. As it happens for me (and about half all of the others on the forum) this suits me fine.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club