Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rear discs

xn85

Well, my Edge is in for the dreaded adaptive steering malfunction and a new steering wheel has been ordered. 

Before taking the car in to the dealer, I had a quick glance at the rear discs. Passenger side disc is scored and drivers side is noticeably blemished! Not acceptable on a car just over 16 months old and used daily! I dread to think how they would look if it had rained in the past couple of months!

Another job for the dealer to look at...

8704FE12-0133-4AE1-A9B2-812AD7FB4DF5.jpeg

2 hours ago, xn85 said:

Well, my Edge is in for the dreaded adaptive steering malfunction and a new steering wheel has been ordered. 

Please share what's the sympton of "the dreaded adaptive steering malfunction"? 

Apart from the warning message, I experienced very light and vague steering. There was a couple of times when it didn’t do what I expected (understeer during close manoeuvring) requiring sudden corrections and poor self centering (again resulting in ‘whoops’ moments).

The car was perfectly drivable and just required a bit more care. Usually the fault cleared after the car had been parked for a while.

Apparently there is a field service action for a software upgrade available, although EH tried to say there was nothing on their system. When I told them the code (17B35) they suddenly ‘found’ it on their system! 

NB if using Ford ETIS, Internet Explorer allows you to search by reg number, whereas Chrome requires VIN321F627F-9D7D-46A7-A5B6-DA5C92A9C521.thumb.jpeg.c5cac330bbd2e3a9f1db708de6e1b3ce.jpeg

According to the dealer, the blemishes are down to surface rust (strange how it appeared during a drought!) and will not affect the brakes. Apart from seeing the marks on the disc, there doesn’t seem to be anything otherwise wrong with the brakes so I’ll leave this for now and wait and see if it gets worse...

@xn85 Does your car have Sync2?  I’ve never seen street names appear in my dash like yours. Mine has Sync3. 

Yup. Mine’s one of the early cars with Sync2, hence all the auto-relock issues! I have activated the navigation menu from the right steering wheel controls and when not following a route the display shows a compass. Does Sync3 not have this?

Yup Sync 3 has the same feature accessed in the same way.

Mine is in for a new steering wheel as well. Part is on order so hopefully sorted in the next month. Same with the auto-relock, not gona work apparently.

A number of dealers have reconfigured the Body Control Module and enabled auto-relock on the early cars. I’d pretty much given up trying to get it sorted as Ford refused to approve this for my car. An independent dealer tried it too, without success so it wasn’t just my dealer ‘fobbing me off’.

When booking mine in at the dealers for the adaptivecsteering fault, I asked them to have a look at it - not holding out any hope! Imagine my astonishment when I picked the car up and they said they’d done it! IT WORKS! 

My car now automatically locks itself if you unlock the car, using the remote fob, but don’t open a door within 45-seconds. As my remote is so sensitive, I am constantly unlocking the car unintentionally. Knowing that it will relocate itself is such a relief... I feel like a kid in a sweet shop... 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, KugaEdge said:

Yup Sync 3 has the same feature accessed in the same way.

Thanks, i had no idea. I always have the speed displayed. 

1 hour ago, Edge of Reason said:

Thanks, i had no idea. I always have the speed displayed. 

Me too, but I flip the display when navigating to show the next turn and street name in the right-hand display.

Unfortunately Sync2 on the Edge doesn’t display the speed, although my 2014 Kuga used to have this feature...

On my first Edge Sport with Sync 2 I could have a digital speed display if I had the lane departure system turned off- pressing the end of the left indicators stalk.

it used to display the digital speed on the right hand side of the dashboard display.

How do you get the digital speed to show in Sync2 - I can’t find an option.

1 hour ago, xn85 said:

How do you get the digital speed to show in Sync2 - I can’t find an option.

I can't find the option in Sync3 either!

It's not an option as such, more a case of just choosing it. Right steering wheel buttons, left button to go back to menu, up and down buttons to select speed.

• Thanks 1

On 7/13/2018 at 5:27 PM, xn85 said:

A number of dealers have reconfigured the Body Control Module and enabled auto-relock on the early cars. I’d pretty much given up trying to get it sorted as Ford refused to approve this for my car. An independent dealer tried it too, without success so it wasn’t just my dealer ‘fobbing me off’.

When booking mine in at the dealers for the adaptivecsteering fault, I asked them to have a look at it - not holding out any hope! Imagine my astonishment when I picked the car up and they said they’d done it! IT WORKS! 

My car now automatically locks itself if you unlock the car, using the remote fob, but don’t open a door within 45-seconds. As my remote is so sensitive, I am constantly unlocking the car unintentionally. Knowing that it will relocate itself is such a relief... I feel like a kid in a sweet shop... 

Morning Dave, do you happen to have a contact name/number in the service department at EH Blackpool so I can book in & hopefully pop over there & see if they can sort the Auto Relock for me while I wait?

Also have you had a first service yet @ 18000/24 months? Just wondered how much they charge (looks like £287.50 when I look on the EH website)??

Cheers, Jon

I’ve been dealing with Charli at EH Blackpool. She’s only been there a few weeks but seems to know what she’s talking about! Phone calls seem to go to some central call centre who are useless, but you could try 01253 699000.

My car has now done about 8500 miles. When I booked the 12 month convenience check, the call centre tried quoting for the 24month / 18k service. They wouldn’t have it that there was anything between free health check and full service and wanted about £290. After they dropped the call whilst transferring me to a colleague, I phoned back and spoke to someone else. The price went up to £310! I phoned Chris Allen (Fleetwood) and they quoted me £39.95 which included 12 months breakdown cover...

New steering wheel being fitted next week...

• 9 months later...
On ‎7‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 11:26 AM, xn85 said:

Before taking the car in to the dealer, I had a quick glance at the rear discs. Passenger side disc is scored and drivers side is noticeably blemished! Not acceptable on a car just over 16 months old and used daily! I dread to think how they would look if it had rained in the past couple of months!

Another job for the dealer to look at...

8704FE12-0133-4AE1-A9B2-812AD7FB4DF5.jpeg

Hiya Dave, i'm just wondering if you've done anymore about the condition of the rear brakes. I've got the same problem with my rear disks which I noticed really after about 3000 miles. My Edge is at nearly 12000 miles now and due a service in September. I'm thinking Ford may try and get me to pay for new pads and disks as its a wear and tear part.

Anyone else's thoughts regarding this will be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry. Just seen your post...

The dealer that I bought the car (new) from said it was discolouration and will not affect the braking. They waffled on about rust stains when car has been parked... However, they said that they’d make a note of my concerns. When I went for the two year / 18000 mile service, I went to another Ford dealer (£80 cheaper) and asked them to look at the rear brake discs. They said wear and tear... 

On ‎5‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 3:37 PM, xn85 said:

Sorry. Just seen your post...

The dealer that I bought the car (new) from said it was discolouration and will not affect the braking. They waffled on about rust stains when car has been parked... However, they said that they’d make a note of my concerns. When I went for the two year / 18000 mile service, I went to another Ford dealer (£80 cheaper) and asked them to look at the rear brake discs. They said wear and tear... 

I feel my dealer will say the same when it goes in for its service

Just fitted new pads all round on my Edge. 41,000miles on original pads and the discs are still oK.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

I'm going to change my rear discs and pads when my warranty is up in September. the state of the discs just bugs me. I'll get an independent garage to do the job I think. Has anyone used a certain manufacturer that you recommend? Would I need to buy other parts to change at the same time ie. wear sensors etc. Any advice would be great. I wish I had the confidence to change them myself.