Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk3 tdci Oil leaking on top of the rocker cover and boost pipe underside wet with oil too...

franko77kool

Hi guys, on my mk3 tdci i lifted the bonnet today as i thought i could smell an oily whiff in the cabin on startup, i removed the engine cover and noticed there was a small pool of oil on the rocker cover top left side, directly under the pipe that goes over the top to the manifold. So i then looked at the boost pipe that comes from bottom of intercooler and up to the throttle body and saw that the whole underside of the pipe is sort of soaked in oil? It looks like it seems to be actually seeping through the hose itself because of the way it sort of looks swollen and stained... Dont know if thats possible. I dont have any eml lights showing or any fault codes in forscan. Car does seem pretty rough at idle but it always been that way in the 5 month ive had it. 63 reg and 50000 miles. Does anyone know if i have a problem here please?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

29 minutes ago, franko77kool said:

Hi guys, on my mk3 tdci i lifted the bonnet today as i thought i could smell an oily whiff in the cabin on startup, i removed the engine cover and noticed there was a small pool of oil on the rocker cover top left side, directly under the pipe that goes over the top to the manifold. So i then looked at the boost pipe that comes from bottom of intercooler and up to the throttle body and saw that the whole underside of the pipe is sort of soaked in oil? It looks like it seems to be actually seeping through the hose itself because of the way it sort of looks swollen and stained... Dont know if thats possible. I dont have any eml lights showing or any fault codes in forscan. Car does seem pretty rough at idle but it always been that way in the 5 month ive had it. 63 reg and 50000 miles. Does anyone know if i have a problem here please?

Hi Franky,

Sounds a bit unusual.  My first thought is the rocker cover gasket could be leaking, i have no idea how common that is though.  I recently replaced mine because i had a bit of oily grime around it and it's not difficult to do.

The pipe you mention from the intercooler up to the throttle body/manifold is an air pipe so wouldn't have thought oil would be 'saturating' through there.  You haven't recently had it serviced have you and some oil has been spilt?  Are you checking the oil level regularly to see if it's noticeable on the dipstick?

Hi thanks for replying mate, yeah unusual is what i thought too since its air like you said. Hasnt had an oil change since i bought it as the dealer done a service before the sale. I hope there isnt anything about to blow thats for sure, need to find out what is going on pronto. I didnt check the dipstick level but i will be in the morning

9 minutes ago, franko77kool said:

Hi thanks for replying mate, yeah unusual is what i thought too since its air like you said. Hasnt had an oil change since i bought it as the dealer done a service before the sale. I hope there isnt anything about to blow thats for sure, need to find out what is going on pronto. I didnt check the dipstick level but i will be in the morning

If it was me I'd check the oil every day for a week just to get an idea whether you're losing any noticeable amount.  If not just keep an eye on it. It's not unusual for older cars to have a small oil leak (my 08 focus has had a small leak for years but never noticeable on the dipstick). Surprising though for a 63 plate!  If it is a noticeable amount, and you're not into DIY'ing, get a decent independent garage to look at it.

Might also be worth posting a picture on here for us to see too.  

Yeah i will check it everyday mate. Just ive never had an oil stain on my driveway from under the car

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club