Do Not Sell My Personal Information

My Focus overheated - now it won't start

jsondergaard

Hey guys,

When I got in my car today to take a drive, it took some extra revolutions to get it started, but I didn't think more of it. Drove it for a kilometer, and then the dash lighted up, starting to beep at me, saying "engine temperature high" – fair enough, I pulled over to let it cool down, thinking the temp. valve was stuck closed, to then limp it back home. I popped the hood, and both radiator hoses were hot, though. Anyway,  I managed to get it home again, but when I cranked it later on, it wouldn't turn over. Sounds completely fine when cranking though, and it sounds like it's not low on compression. No DTCs either. However, now I'm kind of at a loss. 

Any ideas as though why it would overheat (in less than 1km, no less) and then later refuse to turn over, would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Check your coolant bottle. And check power steering fluid. Let us know what colour and consistency it is.

I can't see if you have your model of focus in your profile. 

Not the ecoboost is it?

I was going to ask if it’s the ecoboost. If so, the overheating may have destroyed your engine. 

These engines are great except for one issue. If there’s a coolant problem the engine will die in a very, very short amount of time. 

There’s the ‘ecoboom’ community of Facebook with plenty of horror stories. 

I believe the pre 2015 ecoboost Focus was a more likely car to suffer from this problem. 

If it is an ecoboost you’ll need a garage to check your engine over. Plenty of examples where they warp the cylinder or damage the head gasket. In many cases it requires a whole new engine which can often cost more than the car is worth. 

Hopefully it won’t be this. 

• Like 1

If you have an Ecoboost ring your Ford garage, they are subject to a recall for the cooling system, my 2011 is in now for cooling system and a new head as mine cracked, all being paid for by Ford

1 hour ago, team alchemist said:

If you have an Ecoboost ring your Ford garage, they are subject to a recall for the cooling system, my 2011 is in now for cooling system and a new head as mine cracked, all being paid for by Ford

You did well. Many are reporting Ford either not paying or only paying up to 50% now. 

• Like 1

looks like i took mine in at the right time, only downside so far is it took Ford six weeks to supply the new head.

"There’s the ‘ecoboom’ community of Facebook with plenty of horror stories."  Thanks for the tip Pebblehead, have now joined the ecoboom web campaign

Just to point out, I’ve bought another eco boost. A 2015 facelift model. There are still chances of the issue with them but less than the pre facelift model. 

I’ve had no issues so far and I like the engine so much I bought it again. They’re not all doomed. 

I do regular checks under the bonnet and always check my coolant level. Not saying it will 100% stop it but considering how many they sold to how many have died it still seems a smaller number than the group would like you to think. 

• Like 2

Very true, but as there as people out there being asked by Ford to pay for new engines i thought it best to add one more name to the list.

• 2 years later...

I have a 2012 ford focus zetec s 1.6 diesel. Car won't start and comes up with pre overheating, recovery managed to jump start it and worked for a day then died again with same warning anybody has any ideas as to why this would be great.

Many thanks

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club