Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Service reveals Cat has been removed

I'mAnExpertTrustMe

Just got a full service done on my 2014 ST-2 as to which the garage informed me that my car has had its cat removed, and say that it will not pass the MoT when I bring it back to them. 

I bought this car from a family run dealer November 2017, which had an MoT performed by Halfords when I first paid a deposit, this showed no issues. 

As a bit of backstory, the previous owner seemed to have been a bit of a pleb, replaced the filter to a standard cone filter that threw up errors (Which I have replaced with a standard airbox), removed airvent trim and parcel shelf cords, and now I find out the mong also removed the cat! I am now concerned for what else the absolute muppet has removed. 

What should I do going forward? Do I still have a case after 9 months as I bought a car that won't pass an MoT (Unless performed by Halfords, apparently) 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

When you bought the car it had to be fit for purpose and it obviously wasn't.   Take it back to the dealer.

15 minutes ago, Bobr said:

When you bought the car it had to be fit for purpose and it obviously wasn't.   Take it back to the dealer.

After 9 months you will have one hell of a job proving that.

1 hour ago, pragmatix said:

That's my main concern. As I'm still trying to learn the inner-workings of a car, something like a removed cat isn't going to be easily noticed by your average car driver. I was lulled into a false sense of security because I was offered the M.O.T when I paid the deposit.

Currently looking at options as if I'm going to have to pay for a Cat, is it worth my time upgrading a little bit rather than splashing money just to return it to stock. 

Sports cat with a stainless cat back would be ideal and probably cheaper than a new genuine cat. :wink:

Are you sure it's the cat removed though, not just the mid box?  Removing the cat brings the EML on so it would have to be remapped as well...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Sports cat with a stainless cat back would be ideal and probably cheaper than a new genuine cat. :wink:

Are you sure it's the cat removed though, not just the mid box?  Removing the cat brings the EML on so it would have to be remapped as well...

Sorry I should have said that it's had a Stage-1 Remap from Demon Performance(Before I purchased). I did think myself that surely some sensors should be going off, but I didn't connect the dots for the remap. Their receipt does not say anything about a decat.

Might be worthwhile getting in touch with Demon and finding out if they removed the cat when they did the remap - if they did and give you this in writing then you can go back to your dealer with proof the cat wasn't on when you bought it

• Like 1

Contacted the performance shop and they confirmed that they don't remove the cat as it throws up errors codes and/or engine light. Double-checked my Engine light has the bulb behind it....and it does! They also mentioned something along the lines of "There's no way to hide a de-cat as there isn't an option in the software to hide it" So that leaves me wondering why mine has no errors or lights coming up, unless it is just within the limits for emissions? 

Crawled under the car just to see what I had, and the best image I could get was this one, with the poorly drawn woven-mesh, and the arrow showing where I believe the cat should be, but instead there only being a straight-pipe. 

Dealer has offered to inspect it, shall get back with results when I book a time. 

Thank you for the help so far guys, helps to talk through it and get advice from others.

Cat.png

well from that photo it certainly looks like no cat there.

you can get a 2nd hand one on eBay for around £80

On 7/16/2018 at 6:20 PM, pragmatix said:

In this case I'd say it would be up to the dealer to prove that it was fitted when they sold you the car - it's not exactly something the average motorist would likely notice without the aid of a warning light, and as you only get an MOT every 12 months the fact it was only 9 months ago is probably a good thing!

It's the dealer's responsibility to check it out first, and then *hopefully* offer to rectify - if you aren't happy with their response you can always complain to the motor ombudsman: https://www.themotorombudsman.org/consumers/make-a-complaint 

Just got back from the Dealer, they took it to their garage to double check. It's a Scorpion Decat, however to me the engine light should still be showing? 

They have agreed to pay for the replacement part as long as I pay for the fitting (£30-50), which I'm pretty happy with. I imagine this is quite a tricky subject as the MOT regs for Cats has only recently changed. 

Do you get to keep the decat?  Be worth some money on eBay, they're about £300 new!

MOT regs for petrol cats hasn't changed recently, just diesel ones.  Petrol cats have been part of MOT for ages, but if you 'know the tester' they sometimes either refit a cat for MOT or just stick the emissions probe on another car to pass the test.  I am surprised the EML isn't on though, I would think there should be a post-cat lambda on something of that age!?

That's the interesting thing, the car does pass emissions. And yup, requested to keep the decat! Just incase I ever want to make use of it or sell it on. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club