Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Brakes

Criot

I have had new brake pads fitted on the front of my MK3.5, Ferodo pads that I bought myself and had a family member fit them.

They’ve been fine but today (they were fitted on Thursday) they started squeaking incredibly loud while braking softly, we’ve noticed the drivers side disc also has a score line in it that was not there on Thursday.

Any advice on this? Shall i wait and see if they settle in? Shall I get new pads put on again?

Any advice is appreciated.

Was copper grease used when they were fitted? Check to see if something has bedded into a pad, like a stone.

42 minutes ago, Gymfocused said:

Was copper grease used when they were fitted? Check to see if something has bedded into a pad, like a stone.

Hi, yes grease was used, will have to take the wheels off to check the pads. It wouldn’t be as concerning but the score on the disc has me concerned, we’ll have to check the pads.

thanks

To add, this video demonstrates very much exactly what they sound like: 

When we tested it today, they didn’t appear to start doing this until the brakes were hot after being used several times, and also appear worse with gradual light braking.

Any other advise on this would be appreciated.

If the disc is getting scored so recently after being fitted I'd definitely be looking for possible contamination of the brake pad i.e. dirt/gravel etc.

12 minutes ago, 1979Damian said:

If the disc is getting scored so recently after being fitted I'd definitely be looking for possible contamination of the brake pad i.e. dirt/gravel etc.

Going to have a look today, the problem is how loud it is (very much the same as the video) probably wouldn’t be caused by one bit of dirt, grit etc surely? There is only one constant full score mark on the one disk.

If the scoring is confined to a really specific area of the disc I can't think of any other reason than some sort of foreign body getting pressed into the disc when you brake.  If the pads surface itself was somehow badly deformed then I'm sure that would have been noticed when it was fitted.

In terms of how loud the noise is, you need to remember just how much "servo assisted" force is being applied by the caliper when you brake.

Don't forget to let us know how you get on.

1 hour ago, 1979Damian said:

If the scoring is confined to a really specific area of the disc I can't think of any other reason than some sort of foreign body getting pressed into the disc when you brake.  If the pads surface itself was somehow badly deformed then I'm sure that would have been noticed when it was fitted.

In terms of how loud the noise is, you need to remember just how much "servo assisted" force is being applied by the caliper when you brake.

Don't forget to let us know how you get on.

I agree completely, but what throws me is that the noise doesn't start to occur until the pads are hot after braking several times previous, they then start to do it - I do a lot of A road driving to work, so they're fine then because they're cool, but once in the city near home they start to make said noise, however I've done an emergency stop as well and they did not do it then - Even though with lighter braking just up the road, they did.

I certainly think that obviously something is within the pad to cause the disc to be scored, but I'm not sure it would be that which is fully causing the noise i'm having, either way they're going to have to come off so we can have a look.

I'll post any updates as I know.

Thanks!

3 minutes ago, Criot said:

I agree completely, but what throws me is that the noise doesn't start to occur until the pads are hot after braking several times previous, they then start to do it - I do a lot of A road driving to work, so they're fine then because they're cool, but once in the city near home they start to make said noise, however I've done an emergency stop as well and they did not do it then - Even though with lighter braking just up the road, they did.

I certainly think that obviously something is within the pad to cause the disc to be scored, but I'm not sure it would be that which is fully causing the noise i'm having, either way they're going to have to come off so we can have a look.

I'll post any updates as I know.

Thanks!

I'd be getting it done ASAP, otherwise you might end up having to replace the disc (again) :taz:

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club