Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rear Wiper Problem

Bulletguy

Have just purchased an 02 reg Focus hatchback via auction. Only driven it home so just discovered a couple of 'niggles' which need sorting.

1) The rear wiper does not work correctly. Just gives a part sweep of blade then stops....usually mid screen. It does not complete a full wipe and return to parking. Is it the motor which is at fault?

2) The roof radio aerial appears to have been snapped off at the base mount. Is the thread fitting on the mount 'male' with the aerial rod being 'female'? How simple is it to fit a new base....i.e where is the cable routed and does any part of the dash need to be removed other than the radio?

Have just purchased an 02 reg Focus hatchback via auction. Only driven it home so just discovered a couple of 'niggles' which need sorting.

1) The rear wiper does not work correctly. Just gives a part sweep of blade then stops....usually mid screen. It does not complete a full wipe and return to parking. Is it the motor which is at fault?

2) The roof radio aerial appears to have been snapped off at the base mount. Is the thread fitting on the mount 'male' with the aerial rod being 'female'? How simple is it to fit a new base....i.e where is the cable routed and does any part of the dash need to be removed other than the radio?

the wiper motor issue, i think will be a duff motor/mechanism.

the aerial base is a female thread and the aerial is a female thread. there is a brass threaded section about an inch long that screws in to connect the aerial and base together. i would imagine that you can just remove the wire from the aerial base if not just cut it close to it and join it to your new aerial.

probably best to source both of these parts from a scrap yard or someone breaking a car.

the wiper motor issue, i think will be a duff motor/mechanism.

Hmmm....as I suspected. Looks like a search around local breakers then!
the aerial base is a female thread and the aerial is a female thread. there is a brass threaded section about an inch long that screws in to connect the aerial and base together. i would imagine that you can just remove the wire from the aerial base if not just cut it close to it and join it to your new aerial.

probably best to source both of these parts from a scrap yard or someone breaking a car.

It would seem then that maybe my base mount is ok. Its that brass section you mention which is missing on mine and I couldn't make out exactly how the aerial rod fitted in.

Thanks for the info.

Hmmm....as I suspected. Looks like a search around local breakers then!

It would seem then that maybe my base mount is ok. Its that brass section you mention which is missing on mine and I couldn't make out exactly how the aerial rod fitted in.

Thanks for the info.

the male end sometimes sticks into the base fitting a new ariekl is easy either buy a female ended one or remove the male piece from the ariel then screw it onto the male end stuck in the base dont try removing the bit in the base if its stuck you wont get it out without ripping ity to bits rear wiper motor is defo away eventually it will just stop completely

• 3 years later...
I have just restored the self-parking to the rear wiper on my 2000 Focus 1.6 and you might be interested in how to do it.
If the wiper moves at all when you switch it to the
interval wipe, the timer unit is sending the pulse to the motor, which starts
the wiping action, The rest of the wipe is controlled within the wiper motor by
a circular contact plate with a section missing. This missing section stops the
wiper motor at the self-parking position by interrupting the earth
contact.

To fix it, make sure the wiper is parked where on the screen where
you want it tp park
in future. Remove the wiper body and strip it down.
Fairly simple, but you have to remove the rear door trim to get at the fixings.
The 4 screws are fine, but levering the clip fixings are tricky - take it easy
or they might break. Remove the wiper arm to allow the removal of the
motor/gearbox assembly. Note the washer and small 'O' ring position.
Mark the position of the nylon geared ring againt a marked point on
the housing.
A spot of paint will do. Make sure the marks line up on
reassembly

Remove the screws (small Torx) from the gearbox cover plate
and drive out the wiper shaft with a wooden mallet. Note the small nylon cap and
the wavy spring washer positions. My circular plate was covered with a mixture
of rust, dirt and grease!!. Clean the plate with wet or dry until smooth and
clean. Clean and grease the gear teeth and all bearing points and reassemble
everything. I didn't grease the cleaned up plate but doing that might help
prevent the plate corroding again - up to you.

post-79184-0-24824100-1363890096_thumb.j

Good Luck - it is worth the effort to have the wiper parking properly again!

• 2 years later...

Be aware that on the mk2 there is an additional relay under the boot carpet on the left hand side. Check this out first. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club