Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Anyone used one of these before?

Dee_82

2 hours ago, Dee_82 said:

Control arm / Ball joint extractor.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141631030182

Looks good on a lift but is there enough clearance on jack stands to pull it down enough?

I think it may be a bit tight but not impossible are your stand quite high? Mine will give me 2ft

Not as much as that, ill get about 1.3ft max clearance id need to get her on ramps first, then jack up off some raised blocks can probably get it to 1.6ft without too much bother. 2ft would probably  be a problem, not enough slabs of concrete! 🙂 

what id do for a lift! 

Tbh I don't see that being much use.  There is a knack to ball joints, it's about angles, not strength.

BJs have to be perfectly lined up to slip out, but with prybars there's always more force one side so it's being pulled at an angle.

If you've got a long strong peice of metal tube, put it flat lengthways above the BJ and under the chassis.  Then stand on the overhanging end in front of the wishbone.  It should line up with the chassis and pull the BJ almost perfectly downwards instead of angled.

• Like 1

ive tried that type of bar, not much good at all. better off getting a large lever bar

download.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hammers and a good belting usually suffices.

Those hockey sticks are ok if you're using them on a regular basis but not cost effective else.

Sent from my SM-G965F (S9+)

• Like 1

Cool, cheers guys. I think ive narrowed down my knocking to the strut / top mount, if the BJs are not wrecked id rather not wreck them but im not all that thrilled about maybe taking both off! 

As easy as possible is what im looking for! 🙂 

• Like 1

Why are you touching the BJ to remove the strut?  Just remove the pinch bolt at the top of the hub, saves damaging the BJ or stripping unnecessary threads.